Homebrew Would a Nintendo 64 Emulator be possible?

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah i know many factors play into getting perfect cycles but hey we can still get playable framerates, on lower end systems even with these factors, you wont even see these discrepancies 99% of the time if you are at accurate speeds, you only have to be truly ANAL to care about perfect cycles
Cycle accuracy is important, if your emulator is not cycle accurate the devs will have to manually add code to their emulator for games who have problems being emulated.
Take DK64 for example, it's a real mess on emulator and some golden bananas are simply impossible to collect without using gameshark codes. Another example would be Speedy Gonzalez on the SNES which just crashes when activating switches on anything other than Higan.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
N64 emulation isn't even all that good on PC...
thats mainly due to how active the dev's are look at project 64 his releases are literally 1-3 years in gaps his last release after 2013 was 2015 and that was only for a 10 year anniversary

even now its a clusterfuck of plugins and a really bad layout, hell it doesnt even support windows 10 correctly even though because it hasnt been updated

Last edited by izy,

Inexplicit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good enough on my 1.8Ghz android phone
Thanks god we even have a shitty N64 emulator on PSP which is just 333Mhz
The emulator itself is fantastic. In fact it's probably not possible to make it any better. The hardware is what limits it, and even then, mario 64 ran at around 10-20 fps, ocarina of time around 10. What's shitty is trying to play on a phone with touch controls or lugging around a controller wherever you go.

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The emulator itself is fantastic. In fact it's probably not possible to make it any better. The hardware is what limits it, and even then, mario 64 ran at around 10-20 fps, ocarina of time around 10. What's shitty is trying to play on a phone with touch controls or lugging around a controller wherever you go.
Well, I should say it's not really a problem for me to control a android based N64 emulator

Attachments

• QQ图片20160206115731.jpg
    QQ图片20160206115731.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
Reactions: SLiV3R

Inexplicit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I should say it's not really a problem for me to control a android based N64 emulator
Well, when you put it that way, that's by far the superior option. I just don't like it when Daedalusx64 gets discredited, it was a masterpiece.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
higan is a Nintendo multi-system emulator that began development on 2014-10-14. It currently supports the following systems:

Im sorry tell me how optimized an emulator will be when its focusing on trying to accurately emulate 5 consoles and 3 sub systems.

Give him a few years and i bet you he could drop the CPU requirement for what you are wanting (btw how anal can you be mentioning this kinda stuff when people want to just play games)

there is also a major difference between one person trying to make an optimal emulator and has only been doing it for just a year compared to say dolphin which has been constantly under development by multiple people since 2003 so 13 years.

Do not discredit byuu! Do some research before you spit shit out of your ass!

Higan began development over 11 years ago and had its first release mid 2005 under its original name bsnes. Byuu changed the name to higan after he decided to start implementing more systems to it.

Higan is a massive technical achievement and requires extreme processing power due to its refinement.

Why don't you read this article written by the man himself, byuu, and learn about what bsnes is. Visit his website and forum and read about his work. It really is quite awesome!!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Last edited by Classicgamer,
Reactions: izy

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Higan began development over 11 years ago and had its first release mid 2005 under its original name bsnes. Byuu changed the name to higan after he decided to start implementing more systems to it.
!
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

My bad there i was basing that off the main website page *higan is a Nintendo multi-system emulator that began development on 2014-10-14. It currently supports the following systems:*

Further looking yeah the wiki states 2005

Yeah you can see differences but it seems to niche amount of games, still i understand the frustation speedy gonzales would get after 3 hour, also lol time cop gotta love those sprite animations xD

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
You may want to hold back on the enthusiasm since I don't believe we are anywhere near a "Working" N64 Emulator for N3DS.

We're not even near a N64 emulator that boots commercial games. And if/when those N64 games boots, we will probably have something like 3 FPS. Totally unplayable ^^

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know what? To all of you arguing if it's possible or not, accurately or not, I offer you this statement.

Have you considered trying it yourself?

To everyone saying "it's run at 2 FPS and it's not doable" have you tried coding an N64 emulator yourself? Do you have the skill to code a 3DS program? How well do you even know the 3DS hardware?

To everyone saying "the 3DS/n3DS can run an N64 emulator fine!" have you tried coding an N64 emulator yourself? Do youhave the skill to code a 3DS program? How well do you know the 3DS hardware?

I'd say if someone with 3DS homebrew skill tried it themselves, that'd be awesome. Because that'd stop the "can I play conker's on this" and "it's impossible" posts. And all the other N64 on 3DS posts.

Wanna know what I think? I think, out of my unskilled nooby opinion, it would work at a playable speed, on the n3DS, as a CIA, with maybe some frameskip. And no it will never run Conker's, or Banjo. Hardly anything can. But more simple games are worth trying! Super Mario 64, anyone? Mario Kart 64? Smash? I'd be interested in trying first party games first, like Mario stuff. Maybe titles launched earlier in the system's lifetime. I'd say it's worth a try.

Reactions: smileyhead

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know what? To all of you arguing if it's possible or not, accurately or not, I offer you this statement.

Problem is that anyone with the knowledge doesn't really want to try as they feel it would be a waste of time, and while I may not have a good grasp on coding and such, it seems possible in theory, but as others are saying it probably wouldn't run great. The 3ds is really not a powerful machine, and emulation is VERY resource heavy. Even simpler emulators (although unoptimized) have numerous speed problems. And most people knowledgeable enough to even try making one know that it just wouldn't really get to where the general population wants it.

Reactions: SLiV3R

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bunch of nonsense crapping all over people's (mostly fact based) opinions

Here's a novel thought, since you're cool with crapping all over everyone else's opinions on what the system is capable of, why don't YOU take a swing at it, if you believe it to be worth a try?

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a novel thought, since you're cool with crapping all over everyone else's opinions on what the system is capable of, why don't YOU take a swing at it, if you believe it to be worth a try?
everyone else's opinions
There you have it. i'm just putting my opinion in the mix, along with everyone else's. I'm sorry you disagree, but hey, it's an opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to try, just encouraging them to.

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France

To everyone saying "it's run at 2 FPS and it's not doable" have you tried coding an N64 emulator yourself? Do you have the skill to code a 3DS program? How well do you even know the 3DS hardware?

To everyone saying "the 3DS/n3DS can run an N64 emulator fine!" have you tried coding an N64 emulator yourself? Do youhave the skill to code a 3DS program? How well do you know the 3DS hardware?

I'd say if someone with 3DS homebrew skill tried it themselves, that'd be awesome. Because that'd stop the "can I play conker's on this" and "it's impossible" posts. And all the other N64 on 3DS posts.

Wanna know what I think? I think, out of my unskilled nooby opinion, it would work at a playable speed, on the n3DS, as a CIA, with maybe some frameskip. And no it will never run Conker's, or Banjo. Hardly anything can. But more simple games are worth trying! Super Mario 64, anyone? Mario Kart 64? Smash? I'd be interested in trying first party games first, like Mario stuff. Maybe titles launched earlier in the system's lifetime. I'd say it's worth a try.
Take a look at the state of the PS1 emulator.. you done? Alright
Now what if I told you that the N64 is more powerful and its architecture a lot more complex than the PS1's, are you still hopeful? It's only use would be as a proof of concept (just like the PS1 emulator, only slower), it'll probably happen some day, but don't expect anything to be near a playable level without having to heavily compromise.

Reactions: LoganK93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...