Apple Would Any Tempers Be Willing To Help Port TWEWY to Ipod Touch?

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Converting an iPad app into an iPhone/Pod Touch app is virtually impossible without the source code.

You're probably better off porting Desmume to iOS.
It's an iPhone app, but it's only meant for devices with 1/2 GB of RAM

:blink:

Impossible to port.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/04/26/how-to-run-ipad-apps-on-the-iphone/
And, my post was meant to correct you, it runs perfectly on the 4S from the App Store.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Converting an iPad app into an iPhone/Pod Touch app is virtually impossible without the source code.

Umm... Pretty sure that the iPhone 4S only has 512MB of RAM. Also the game ran on a DS. A DS has 4MB of RAM. I think lack of RAM shouldn't be an issue here even if they have improved the graphics significantly. Seems to me to be a very strange hardware limit.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Umm... Pretty sure that the iPhone 4S only has 512MB of RAM. Also the game ran on a DS. A DS has 4MB of RAM. I think lack of RAM shouldn't be an issue here even if they have improved the graphics significantly. Seems to me to be a very strange hardware limit.
1 GB = 1024 MB
1024 MB/ 2=512 MB.
512 MB=1/2 GB
1/2 GB=512 Ram
1/2 = HALF
Probably the upscaled resolution might have to do with the higher requirements.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, my bad. Its not often I see it written that way and I personally use a slash to say "or" so honest mistake.
Yeah the upscaled res will be the reason for it but they've taken a game that originally took 4MB of RAM and made it take more than 100MB or so of RAM? Seems ridiculous to me.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you could just delete the music to play it, or something.

You can, I just tried. Try to remove the files in twewy.app/Data/Raw/BGM/ using iFile or i-FunBox and enter Safe Mode. I just finished day 1 without any crashes.

Wait, so deleting the music allowed the game to work on the iPod Touch 4G?

Tsunx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By removing launch daemons and installing a virtual memory hack I was able to play through the whole game on my iPod Touch 4g with no crashes.

Reactions: 1 person

GuardianSoul

Translator
Trophies
Website
www.guardiansoul.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands

You can, I just tried. Try to remove the files in twewy.app/Data/Raw/BGM/ using iFile or i-FunBox and enter Safe Mode. I just finished day 1 without any crashes.

It basically just reduced the amount of RAM being used by the game.

As for the Virtual Memory hack, I just did the dynamic_pager RAM trick (just look it up), and the game seems to be working fine now on my iPod Touch 4G, with music.

Squirps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It basically just reduced the amount of RAM being used by the game.

As for the Virtual Memory hack, I just did the dynamic_pager RAM trick (just look it up), and the game seems to be working fine now on my iPod Touch 4G, with music.

Don't virtual memory mods harm your iPod if it is continuously re-reading and re-writing data to the flash memory? O.o

Squirps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't mean to double post, but this worked for me as well; however, it makes me wonder, is there something ELSE you can delete to make it work instead? Like switch off some other game aspect? Honestly, TWEWY has a FANTASTIC soundtrack which is what I really love about it, and when I was playing without the music, it honestly wasn't as fun...I was wondering if there is some other files that could be disabled or something to try and make it work? I don't feel really good about using a Virtual Memory mod b/c it fries the flash memory eventually, so I wanted to find out if there was something else we could do... :/

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I don't mean to double post, but this worked for me as well; however, it makes me wonder, is there something ELSE you can delete to make it work instead? Like switch off some other game aspect? Honestly, TWEWY has a FANTASTIC soundtrack which is what I really love about it, and when I was playing without the music, it honestly wasn't as fun...I was wondering if there is some other files that could be disabled or something to try and make it work? I don't feel really good about using a Virtual Memory mod b/c it fries the flash memory eventually, so I wanted to find out if there was something else we could do... :/

I was actually wondering the same thing. Would the same amount of RAM be saved from preventing voice overs and sound effects instead? But then I've yet to test this method myself.
Also, I've found that if you have TWEWY installed on your iPod, iTunes refuses to sync your device or at least it has in my case.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
I've read that before too, but unless you're aiming to keep your iPod working for at least ~4 years (where it would be sorely outdated, gaming-wise, and if Apple continues their trend), then just do the VRAM tweak. Also, if in about 2 years you'll have enough money or at least a means to get a newer (superior one) then you should just give it a go.

I would do it if I didn't have a choice. The touch on A4 is fine and dandy and all but as time goes you'll feel how slow it will be (at least, in regards to gaming) compared to A5/A6 in the near future.

Squirps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested the "delete the BGM" method and it still crashes for me. B/a
Think I can delete the movies?

Removing the BGM only allowed me to get through Day 1 with no crashes. It goes through the cutscenes of Day 2, but halfway through them, it crashes for me now. :/

I might have to use the VRAM hack now... :/

You can also run the iPhone version of TWEWY on the iPad via some .plist editing by turning "camera-flash" to false and use A*****c to play the edited IPA file. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1