Gaming Would it be worth it to buy a PS3 now?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
What are the cons of the super slim?
Soooooooo reconsidering the fact that I bought an xbox 360 2 years ago :|
you can't load backups without using an ode.
some people say it feels cheap, but it's not like you can going to be moving it around a lot, probably.
i would trust it more than the older models because, it's newer, quieter, runs cooler, etc :)

Ykr1113

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can't load backups without using an ode.
some people say it feels cheap, but it's not like you can going to be moving it around a lot, probably.
i would trust it more than the older models because, it's newer, quieter, runs cooler, etc :)

I might actually consider not hacking it all now ;o
But still running homebrew is awesome ;3

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland

What I can say that Phat is definitly no go. Every single one I know have been busted and they are super loud. Regular Slim is pretty much everything you could ask for. With Super Slim I don't have first hand experience but it seems like they tried to make it as small and cheap as possible. Most obvious changes are that disc cover is manual and machine's slightly smaller.

The disc drive is noisy and it looks cheap.

Mario92 yeah the media centre of it is so good that it can't play MKV files.

I've been watching loads of MKV files even 10-bit ones via DLNA. With HDMI CEC it's even possible to control everything with regular TV remote.
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Just pointing out PS4 doesn't have DLNA which is "lol wat :D" situation.

Reactions: cearp

Ykr1113

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What I can say that Phat is definitly no go. Every single one I know have been busted and they are super loud. Regular Slim is pretty much everything you could ask for. With Super Slim I don't have first hand experience but it seems like they tried to make it as small and cheap as possible. Most obvious changes are that disc cover is manual and machine's slightly smaller.

I've been watching loads of MKV files even 10-bit ones via DLNA. With HDMI CEC it's even possible to control everything with regular TV remote.
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Just pointing out PS4 doesn't have DLNA which is "lol wat :D" situation.
Wow! Thanky ou guys for all the insight :D

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
in your opinion it looks cheap :) it DOES cost less at retail than the other ones, so, sure, it is cheaper. luckily for me personally, i don't care too much about how the console actually looks, it's going to be under the tv and concealed. hardly a feature of a room.
the drive sounds quieter compared to the fat ps3, and a little noisier compared to the slim since the drive in the slim is 'deeper' inside the console.
if you hack it and use homebrew, you can use showtime, which is a very good media player, or you can even stream most stuff to the normal player, which is supposed to work very well :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
But is it possible without any external app? Nope. And, CFW PS3 doesn't count.

It was priced at $600 when it first came out and it still couldn't play MKV files, neither can PS4/XO/WU though so I can't fault the PS3 too much on it but even a Smart TV can play MKV files!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

It was priced at $600 when it first came out and it still couldn't play MKV files, neither can PS4/XO/WU though so I can't fault the PS3 too much on it but even a Smart TV can play MKV files!
To be fair MKV is not a particularly mainstream format and basically only used for pirated anime.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
To be fair MKV is not a particularly mainstream format and basically only used for pirated anime.
this used to be the case like 6 years ago :) but not anymore

for the present, you could say 10bit encodes are not mainstream, only used for pirated anime.. :)

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
This is starting to go bit offtopic it seems :P

I've started seeing it more and more elsewhere as well. However animu is still main thing that uses it usually as they use several extra files in top of video and subtitle so it's easier to pack them in one neat package.

Well I don't know if it should be called "external app" as it's integrated PS3 thing which just uses other device to do the things. Regular Windows PC also shows up with PS3 if it's on same LAN but it has trouble playing all files. PS3 media server also works other DLNA enabled devices so if you have DLNA TV you can use it directly on it as well or even mobile phone. It's also bit easier when all the files are on your computer so no need to move them and there shouldn't be that much playback problems - especially with styled subtitles, 10-bit stuff, etc.
I don't know if any console or consumer friendly device actually even plays MKV files. First thing coming to mind is Rasperry Pi.

Reactions: cearp

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If possible, get both. I've had access to a PS3 for about five years (first my brother's, now my own, both are slims) and I also bought a 360 a year or so ago. My girlfriend also has a PS3 Phat, which I may end up modding with an E3 linker after the support starts slowing down for the platform. Phats have a failure rate for YLODs, but not really dramatic for most people. Keeping the console in an open space with good possibilities of airflow will help you with the problem. If you have a compatible PS3, you can always buy the E3 linker to downgrade after a while.

As for games, I've seen little reason for getting a CFW PS3 over OFW and PS+. I've got a HDD stacking with games, all legally attained and also online compatible. Since I've used the PS3s as Netflix players, this is a huge bonus. Also games cost only a few $$ in general, both new and used.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A new PS3? Well, let's ask yourself the following questions:
  • Do you want to mod your system in any way?
  • Do you want to be able to load backups?
  • Do you want to run any homebrew?
  • Are you put off with a ching-chong-y looking mockery of the original systems?
  • Do you want any real backward compatibility?
If you've answered yes to any of these questions, then I have to say that no, it wouldn't be worth buying a new PS3. And to the last point, it's no longer been worth a PS3 for several years now. :(

The super slim? Cons:
  • It honestly feels like a "mad-ee Chin-ee" knockoff rather than a legitimate product. Seeing one in person I half expected the eject tray to pop out with some 1970s era LCD screen to play an ultra primitive version of Pong or something :shit:
  • Bluray drive is noisy :wtf:
  • Can't really mod it in any usable way unless you're proficient with a soldering iron and have the cash for one of those ODE kits
  • It still won't play PS2 games :cry:
  • Honestly, you sneeze at it and it'll probably break :ph34r:
Honestly, unless your have a home theater setup that basically relies on the whole HDMI-CEC functionality, I never saw the point of any model PS3 since they started neutering it. And at this point, if I had to get one, I'd still rather a 2000 era slim for the moddability factor, and because at least it isn't ignored for flashing tools like all the NAND ps3's were. :nayps3:

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The super slim? Cons:
  • It honestly feels like a "mad-ee Chin-ee" knockoff rather than a legitimate product. Seeing one in person I half expected the eject tray to pop out with some 1970s era LCD screen to play an ultra primitive version of Pong or something :shit:
  • Bluray drive is noisy :wtf:
  • Can't really mod it in any usable way unless you're proficient with a soldering iron and have the cash for one of those ODE kits
  • It still won't play PS2 games :cry:
  • Honestly, you sneeze at it and it'll probably break :ph34r:
Honestly, unless your have a home theater setup that basically relies on the whole HDMI-CEC functionality, I never saw the point of any model PS3 since they started neutering it. And at this point, if I had to get one, I'd still rather a 2000 era slim for the moddability factor, and because at least it isn't ignored for flashing tools like all the NAND ps3's were. :nayps3:
The bluray drive isnt that loud after it starts playing the game just during loading.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Grabbing a PS3 Slim on eBay is easy and cheap and if you don't care about modding, Super Slims are affordable. Games will only get cheaper and cheaper anyways as stores will do their best to get rid of stock while the current generation kicks off properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted...