Wow..My brother found a black 3DS

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
s4mid4re said:
As long as the 'founder' took it with will, knew it wasn't his/her property, took it to permanently keep it to himself/herself, and it's something physical , it's considered larceny (in which all apply to this situation). If the thief sells it or the property isn't physical, it applies to some other category. How much you're charged for doing it depends on the value of what the person stole.

And also, are you serious? Do you really think that "finders keepers" would be a valid defense in any case?

Defense ? The guy is getting charged ? lol

I think it's a good thing to return lost stuff to their owners, but... who do you tell who's the owner ? I mean, precisely who's the owner.
The odds are that if he tells people around that he found a 3DS, someone will say "hey I lost it" and will took for them, and probably that one isn't the real owner.

I admire the real efforts to return it to the real owner, but there's no guarantee he will ever found the real owner.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Midna said:
ITT: Thieves vs People with excessive morals duke it out

Finding something is not stealing something, i.e. the OP's brother is not a thief.
You can call his actions morally wrong, but not label him as a thief.

D

Deleted-236924

Snailface said:
xxteargodxx said:
I forgot where he said he found it but it looks and works fine, only thing wrong with it is it was more than likely an Ambassador 3DS cause it had firmware 1.0.0-0U which was around since May but the device didn't have anything on it not even the eshop.

It had Dead or Alive Dimensions in it which he let me have, and I gave him my acekard 2i since I had just bought a supercard dstwo for myself. All he needs now is a 3ds stylus since his DSi XL charger works with his new 3DS.
It was an Ambassador eligible 3DS. Obviously the original owner didn't/wasn't able to cash in on the deal by logging into the eshop as evidenced by the early firmware version.

What a donkey that kid was.
tongue.gif
Chances are, it wasn't an ambassador-eligible 3DS.
My friend bought his 3DS about three/four weeks after the Ambassador thingy had stopped and his 3DS was on firmware 1.0.0-0U

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
xxteargodxx, don't type the serial -_-

why not type the serial? will it block his 3ds or reveal his location of the 3ds?

PS... i bought my friends 3DS off him and it was an ambassador one... but i hated having his name and stats all over the 3ds, so i formatted it losing the ambassador certificate in doing so.
The ambassador only allows you to download 10 or is it 20 games for free...and most of these are old/crap games anyway... am i right?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TheZoc said:
s4mid4re said:
As long as the 'founder' took it with will, knew it wasn't his/her property, took it to permanently keep it to himself/herself, and it's something physical , it's considered larceny (in which all apply to this situation). If the thief sells it or the property isn't physical, it applies to some other category. How much you're charged for doing it depends on the value of what the person stole.

And also, are you serious? Do you really think that "finders keepers" would be a valid defense in any case?

Defense ? The guy is getting charged ? lol

I think it's a good thing to return lost stuff to their owners, but... who do you tell who's the owner ? I mean, precisely who's the owner.
The odds are that if he tells people around that he found a 3DS, someone will say "hey I lost it" and will took for them, and probably that one isn't the real owner.

I admire the real efforts to return it to the real owner, but there's no guarantee he will ever found the real owner.
As it's being discussed SEVERAL times here, if the OP's brother isn't stupid, he should do some questioning before giving it back to the owner. It'll be very unlikely to get bull's eye on any of the personal data stored (say, the activity log or the mii).

Also, didn't you read what I just typed? Have you searched for the term 'larceny' in wikipedia or the like? I didn't even say that he will absolutely get charged; just a possibility if the real owner/owner's parents feels like the OP's brother should be punished to not try to return the device. I don't get why you're lolling, when there's nothing funny but your stupidity.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Reminds me that time I found a Samsung Galaxy S on the street while I was on my way to school.
I wanted to keep it and use it myself (since my phone sucked at the time) or at least sell it, but my conscience wouldn't let me do that. I just called up the owners house, and had them come to my house to pick it up. It felt good to see those people happy, so it wasn't so bad after all.
But if it was something like a 3DS, then I'd totally keep it to myself >:D it's not like I can call through it and ask who does it belong to, and I wouldn't run around askng people if they happened to lose a 3DS.
So tell you brother to have fun with it
tongue.gif

D

Deleted-236924

Bloodangel said:
machomuu said:
xxteargodxx, don't type the serial -_-

why not type the serial? will it block his 3ds or reveal his location of the 3ds?

PS... i bought my friends 3DS off him and it was an ambassador one... but i hated having his name and stats all over the 3ds, so i formatted it losing the ambassador certificate in doing so.
The ambassador only allows you to download 10 or is it 20 games for free...and most of these are old/crap games anyway... am i right?
Old games != crap games.

Shromz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've read through all 8 pages and a lot of people are telling him to find the owner and give it back.
It's not up to the OP, It's up to his brother, unless he lets his brother read these comments then nothing can be done. I'm sure the OP isn't going to take the 3DS from his brother and find the original owner.

...Just Sayin

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
machomuu said:
TheDarkSeed said:
Finders keepers, losers fall into a deep state of depression and regret.
Depression from losing a 3SD? That's a bit extreme.

I had my 3DS stolen from me.

I watched the second half of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood when i got home without getting out of bed.

I bet OP's brother 'found' it in someone's locker or backpack.
Aeter said:
QUOTE(Midna @ Oct 5 2011, 10:38 PM)
ITT: Thieves vs People with excessive morals duke it out

Finding something is not stealing something, i.e. the OP's brother is not a thief.
You can call his actions morally wrong, but not label him as a thief.
As previously discussed, this is actually larceny.

But besides that, do you really think taking something nobody's attending to is not stealing? If I slip a wallet off an unattended desk into my pocket, is that stealing? Where do you draw the line? More to the point, what if I find someone's wallet on the ground with their ID in it? Do I ditch the ID and take the money? That's what OP and his brother are doing. They're purposefully making no attempt whatsoever at getting it back. And if this was from a school or other private area, finding the owner using the information on the console would be easy. You have the game it had in, the profile info entered, the created Miis, and the history logs.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
It all depends on the circumstances in which he found it to be honest. You find it some ally way under some garbage, I'd say it's fair claim, you find it on a bus seat that's still warm, you might want alert the bus station that you found it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
machomuu said:
TheDarkSeed said:
Finders keepers, losers fall into a deep state of depression and regret.
Depression from losing a 3SD? That's a bit extreme.
I had my 3DS stolen from me.

I watched the second half of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood when i got home without getting out of bed.

I bet OP's brother 'found' it in someone's locker or backpack.
That doesn't sound like depression, that sounds like you trying to get over the loss of the 3DS.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"You made a mistake. You deserve to be punished."

Because those of you who believe the statement above are perfect beings and have never lost anything in your lives before, right?

Next thing I know I'll be hearing "Your cousin got shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shit happens. He deserved to die."

Gotta love the logic of some people.

FireGrey said:
Giving it back would be a good deed.
But keeping it wouldn't be good OR bad.
Just because he isnt doing something good doesn't mean that he is bad.
He can do whatever he wants with it and the old owner would be fully prepared to not see it again."All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

Thesolcity said:
The odds of finding the owner since its not a phone and you don't store personal info in a system like that is 100000000000000/1....but you should still at least try.
mellow.gif

BUUUUUT since human decency has flown out the window and greed has set in, the return process will be quite a bit difficult because publicly mentioning you found a lost 3DS will cause hordes of people to scamper in claiming its their's.
Uchiha Obito said:
Okay... The right thing obvious isn't keeping it... But there's a problem in trying to give it back since it was found...

Many people try to lie and say it theirs, then the right person may not receive the 3DS... If that's the case, why not shall this kid have it?QUOTE(Hells Malice @ Oct 5 2011, 12:25 PM) Oh you internet hallmonitors.

How the hell is he going to find the owner?
He wont, he can't, so why bother. "oh but he should at least try!"
No, he shouldn't. Because it's pretty much impossible. The 3DS houses basically no personal information. There's no way to find the owner.

As well, "shit happens". Kid got stupid and lost his 3DS. Sorry, but that's a pretty valuable (and not tiny) piece of technology. It's hard to "lose". He lost his 3DS. Shit happens! Too bad for him.
Post a flyer saying "3DS Found. Please contact _______"

When they contact you, have the owner describe the 3DS. What color was it? What game was inside of it?

You can screen out a majority of liars (if not all of them) because they won't be able to get the correct combo of [1] Black 3DS with [2] Dead or Alive Dimensions inside of it.

It's not too hard, guys. Don't hurt yourselves thinking about it.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Hyro-Sama @ Oct 5 2011, 11:00 AM)
Motherfucker. Why can't this guy just post something on GBATemp. This thread is the second thread that I have posted where the OP said they found something and then half the forum bitches at him. That's such bullshit. It's not like he found money or drugs. It's a fucking 3DS.
It's a discussion forum. As long as there is no flaming, people can say whatever they want. Deal with it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had a funny thought that someone on this forum could be writing down the details of the 3DS just to get one for free.

laugh.gif

"Oh it a black 3DS with doad? I see... I see... writes down."

tongue.gif

al5911

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
lecture.gif
NEXT TIME BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YA' VALUABLE THING/S!!! - to the 3DS owner.

gba.gif
Good you found it rather than a dog found it, smell it and poops on it!!! (nobody will find it inside the poops!) - to OP's brother.

So enjoy playing the 3DS ...
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ¿erbmoH laT euQ