Wow..My brother found a black 3DS

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know In general Most of you are teenagers so i am glad to see some saying return it, Nice to see some naive youths still exist in this harsh world. From the adult perspective i will say, couple things to consider It was lost is this a place you frequent regularily if so Chances are you will bump into the owner if not then thats not a worry. Realistically You found it noone was there to claim it posting a flyer or an ad etc.. will just result in a swath of fakes, So i would keep the unit enjoy it and Remember to do some good deeds for others Help an old lady across the street etc.. To say thanks to karma. Turning it into the police is as good as giving the Police mans kid a free 3ds for xmas.

And remember Possession is 9/10th of the law - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_is...nths_of_the_law

So Enjoy bless your good luck and if you feel to guilty to keep it I understand, Ship it to me p:)

Oh and for those of you Saying that Its a crime etc.. What do u think your all doing every time u boot up your flash card? How is pirating DS games any different than finding a 3ds on the street. Hypocrites

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mori123 said:
I know In general Most of you are teenagers so i am glad to see some saying return it, Nice to see some naive youths still exist in this harsh world. From the adult perspective i will say, couple things to consider It was lost is this a place you frequent regularily if so Chances are you will bump into the owner if not then thats not a worry. Realistically You found it noone was there to claim it posting a flyer or an ad etc.. will just result in a swath of fakes, So i would keep the unit enjoy it and Remember to do some good deeds for others Help an old lady across the street etc.. To say thanks to karma. Turning it into the police is as good as giving the Police mans kid a free 3ds for xmas.

And remember Possession is 9/10th of the law - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_is...nths_of_the_law

So Enjoy bless your good luck and if you feel to guilty to keep it I understand, Ship it to me p:)

Oh and for those of you Saying that Its a crime etc.. What do u think your all doing every time u boot up your flash card? How is pirating DS games any different than finding a 3ds on the street. Hypocrites

Internet hall monitors feel it's different because they're just copying the game.
What's the harm in copying it!
Bahah. You're completely right. It's not on the same scale, but "theft is theft". Piracy doesn't physically take a game from anyone, but it does steal money away from devs that worked hard to make the thing you're now enjoying for free.
Most people don't mind being hypocrites though. Which is why I just laugh when people jump on the morality train while they wait for the illegally downloaded games to finish downloading.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Making a digital copy of a game without paying for it is not the same as taking someone's possessions. The crime is similar, the victims are different.

It's the difference between taking a chocolate bar from wal-mart, and stealing a chocolate bar from a child.

Possession is not 9/10ths of the law if I can prove that your 'possession' is mine.
Naivety is equivalent to morality now? How sad.
And I believe we covered the "swath of fakes" issue a time or twelve already.

Edit: I'm no hypocrite. I've found a cell phone or two in my time, and gotten them back to their owners. Hell, I went back into 7-11 a few weeks ago after I realized the cashier had given me too much change. If this is naivety then the world is dying.

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes that's Naivety , Midna you have a good heart and i will be sad when your burned hardcore for it. but it happens to us all. and Yes making a digital copy of the game is identical to stealing a choc late bar from a kid. because by copying that game The developer laid off 3 workers who are Now on unemployed and can no longer BUY their child a chocolate bar. We are all Scum Thieving bastards here, anyone saying anything different is fooling themselves.

So In fact your stealing a 1-2 dollar chocolate bar from a Child while sad and not nice is causing significantly less harm than the 1-2 thousand dollars worth of pirated games your playing on your flash card.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mori123 said:
yes that's Naivety , Midna you have a good heart and i will be sad when your burned hardcore for it. but it happens to us all. and Yes making a digital copy of the game is identical to stealing a choc late bar from a kid. because by copying that game The developer laid off 3 workers who are Now on unemployed and can no longer BUY their child a chocolate bar. We are all Scum Thieving bastards here, anyone saying anything different is fooling themselves.

So In fact your stealing a 1-2 dollar chocolate bar from a Child while sad and not nice is causing significantly less harm than the 1-2 thousand dollars worth of pirated games your playing on your flash card.

Copying a game = Stealing now?
unsure.gif

So if I buy a game and copy it, I'm stealing? That's not how it works.

Even if you're talking about piracy, its a grey area for "stealing".

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my 2 cents:
finder's keepers

or

try to return it to the owner if it's reasonably possible
(which tbh is gonna be hard, since it's value in money is alot, so everyone's gonna say it's theirs)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
mori123 said:

You're hilarious. The ~30 dollar game I have on my flashcart has resulted in three workers being layed off? First off I actually own a copy of it somewhere around here. Second off half that money would have gone to gamestop. I'm pretty sure a company is capable of taking a ~15 loss of potential money (not actual money) compared to a kid who gets a buck a week for allowance. I'm usually not one for piracy justification and moral loopholes, but 3 workers being layed off? Ah ha ha ha ha. You logic is I don't even.

Also
>Implying that if bad things happened to you they will happen to everyone you meet

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Midna said:
machomuu said:
TheDarkSeed said:
Finders keepers, losers fall into a deep state of depression and regret.
Depression from losing a 3SD? That's a bit extreme.

I had my 3DS stolen from me.

I watched the second half of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood when i got home without getting out of bed.

I bet OP's brother 'found' it in someone's locker or backpack.
Aeter said:
QUOTE(Midna @ Oct 5 2011, 10:38 PM)
ITT: Thieves vs People with excessive morals duke it out

Finding something is not stealing something, i.e. the OP's brother is not a thief.
You can call his actions morally wrong, but not label him as a thief.
As previously discussed, this is actually larceny.

But besides that, do you really think taking something nobody's attending to is not stealing? If I slip a wallet off an unattended desk into my pocket, is that stealing? Where do you draw the line? More to the point, what if I find someone's wallet on the ground with their ID in it? Do I ditch the ID and take the money? That's what OP and his brother are doing. They're purposefully making no attempt whatsoever at getting it back. And if this was from a school or other private area, finding the owner using the information on the console would be easy. You have the game it had in, the profile info entered, the created Miis, and the history logs.
Well this situation is different from the ones you describe.
A wallet always has some kind of ID in it which makes it easy to return it to its rightful owner.
In this case the problem lies in the fact that the owner is probably very hard to find.
I do think its morally wrong to not try to return it to its rightful owner, but calling someone a thief is a little harsh in a situation like this.
You're already assuming he stole it from a backpack or locker, but that hardly seems to be the case here.
Why would someone openly talk about something like that?
I think we can safely assume that he found it in a public place.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aeter said:
You're already assuming he stole it from a backpack or locker, but that hardly seems to be the case here.
It was his brother who found it, not the OP.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
mori123 said:

You're hilarious. The ~30 dollar game I have on my flashcart has resulted in three workers being layed off? First off I actually own a copy of it somewhere around here. Second off half that money would have gone to gamestop. I'm pretty sure a company is capable of taking a ~15 loss of potential money (not actual money) compared to a kid who gets a buck a week for allowance. I'm usually not one for piracy justification and moral loopholes, but 3 workers being layed off? Ah ha ha ha ha. You logic is I don't even.

Also
>Implying that if bad things happened to you they will happen to everyone you meet

Midna, you're wrong. Piracy = theft = stealing a chocolate bar from a child = hypocrisy + finding a 3DS + not returning it

In which case all those people who are saying to keep the 3DS should also go out and steal chocolate bars from little kids.

glare.gif
Idiots.

In fact, Midna is absolutely right, piracy has not resulted in ANY paid workers to lose their jobs (pretty sure). The companies make their games now with piracy in mind. But piracy is a stupid example anyway and is going completely off-topic.

Morality /=/ naivety. And as an 'adult' mori123 I think you are making a pretty poor job of it, especially as you are an 'adult', kids are going to look up to you and start 'finding' 3DSs.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
Aeter said:

I never said that it was the OP.
I think it's annoying to keep having to refer to the OP's brother, and I assumed everyone would know I ment him when referring to the one who found the 3DS.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aeter said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Aeter said:

I think it's annoying to keep having to refer to the OP's brother, and I assumed everyone would know I ment him when referring to the one who found the 3DS.
When you said 'Why would someone openly talk about something like that?' I thought you were referring to this thread.
If you weren't, how do you know he's talking openly about it? As far as we know the only person he's told is the OP, and that's not very surprising considering he would have probably found out anyway.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
Aeter said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Aeter said:

When you said 'Why would someone openly talk about something like that?' I thought you were referring to this thread.
If you weren't, how do you know he's talking openly about it? As far as we know the only person he's told is the OP, and that's not very surprising considering he would have probably found out anyway.
Well he did tell his brother and apparently he didn't tell him to keep it a secret or the OP has been a very bad boy,
wink.gif
, so I'm assuming he's not keeping it a secret and just happy that he found it and telling everyone how lucky he is.
At least that's the vibe I'm getting from the OP, and I'm pretty good with vibes.
hrth.gif
Feel the vibe?
hrth.gif

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
Have you guys even attempted to find out who the owner of the system was? It's quite immoral to simply claim it as your own.

QUOTE(Chikaku-chan @ Oct 5 2011, 01:03 AM) You should put the game back in the 3DS tell your bro to go back where he found it and hand it into the local authority, since the poor kid must be very sad that he lost it.

I totally agree here! If I lost my 3DS and I find out some punk took it, they better say their prayers if I find out whom they are and that they plan to keep it. The 3DS WAS $250.00! That's a LOT of money to spend on one thing. You should give it back, explain to your brother that what you did was wrong, AND have your brother save up his allowance to get a 3DS!

How would you have felt if that was YOUR 3DS that YOU lost and I TOOK IT for MYSELF and SOLD IT ON AMAZON!? I bet U BE MAD.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
DJ91990 said:
Eon-Rider said:
Have you guys even attempted to find out who the owner of the system was? It's quite immoral to simply claim it as your own.

QUOTE(Chikaku-chan @ Oct 5 2011, 01:03 AM) You should put the game back in the 3DS tell your bro to go back where he found it and hand it into the local authority, since the poor kid must be very sad that he lost it.

I totally agree here! If I lost my 3DS and I find out some punk took it, they better say their prayers if I find out whom they are and that they plan to keep it. The 3DS WAS $250.00! That's a LOT of money to spend on one thing. You should give it back, explain to your brother that what you did was wrong, AND have your brother save up his allowance to get a 3DS!

How would you have felt if that was YOUR 3DS that YOU lost and I TOOK IT for MYSELF and SOLD IT ON AMAZON!? I bet U BE MAD.
The general consensus here seems to be that empathy is for immature losers, and you shouldn't consider how someone would feel when something happens to them until it happens to you.

Makes you feel right splendid about the world, doesn't it?

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Midna, It has nothing to do with somebody being immature, it has everything to do with that somebody was presented with a situation, and made the wrong dicision. If it would so happen that the original owner were to see and point out the "found" 3DS, you would have been marked as a thief!
It is also immoral and unethical! The right thing to do would have been to go into the places nearby and ask whom's 3DS this was.

I am not bashing the OP or his brother, I only hope that they repent and do the right thing.

Also, empathy for immature losers!? What the hell are you talking about! There are no winners or losers in this game we all know as life, we are all just players without an objective, doomed to wonder around aimlessly trying to find out the reason for our very existence until we die. There is no such thing as a "loser" when used in the context of the unlucky. Ever herd of the saying "Luck is a *****?" Luck has a way of turning around.

Also, I don't feel splendid about the world, I feel sorry for it. We fight each other, cheat on others, and steal from others, and for what!? To ultimately be removed from the face of the entire planet someday!

Makes you feel right splendid about your life, doesn't it?

U MAD?
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries