Suggestion Xbone Hacking/HBrew section?

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think accessibility to any end user would be pretty convincing. It currently looks very complicated to set up. If I was wrong in any of my statement, I will take them back immediately :)

The type of people who are wanting to mess around with homebrew on the Xbox one should have enough competence to install dev mode. It's extremely straightforward. All you do is

1. Register for a Developer Account
2. Download an App from the Store
3. Pair your Account
4. Restart your Xbox and install homebrew

That simple

I've went through the extra trouble of building easy to install APPX Packages so end users have an easy time with installation and don't have to compile from source code.

Chip 8 and PPSSPP being a couple of examples

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: Quantumcat

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
it isnt complicated at all, you buy the account, download an app, log into said account, type a code and then you just navigate to XboxOne: (and a port that it gives you) in a browser and install all the apps

The type of people who are wanting to mess around with homebrew on the Xbox one should have enough competence to install dev mode. It's extremely straightforward. All you do is

1. Register for a Developer Account
2. Download an App from the Store
3. Pair your Account
4. Restart your Xbox and install homebrew

That simple
Then I must have been unaware of current progression. At this point I believe it would indeed be worth a section. :)

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I must have been unaware of current progression. At this point I believe it would indeed be worth a section. :)

Yeah I'd say it's literally just as easy as installing Letterbomb for the original Wii :P . Very Few steps involved and you'd have to be braindead to mess it up lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for your support. It's just a shame more people are not aware of the current progression of homebrew with Xbox One. Our own section will definitley help mitigate this issue

Reactions: DrakeLyon

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with @wiired24 and the OP. We need a Development/Homebrew section! Any mods watching this thread?! How is anyone supposed to know about this stuff if they don't know where to find it?
Might have to find the admins elsewhere to politely voice them our concern about this.

Reactions: wiired24

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Would be better to have a subforum called "Xbox One Emulators"
Sideloading emulators isn't hacking, it's just abusing MS's own function to turn the One into a Devkit.

Real hacking would be system tools designed to give elevated privileges and what not.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be better to have a subforum called "Xbox One Emulators"
Sideloading emulators isn't hacking, it's just abusing MS's own function to turn the One into a Devkit.

Real hacking would be system tools designed to give elevated privileges and what not.

I agree it's not "Hacking" per definition even though that word changes definitions depending on who you may ask. However Emulators while being a popular homebrew application is not among the only homebrew apps or tools that would be or could be worked on. So i'm not sure if just calling it "Xbox One Emulators" would encompass the entire segment of homebrew for Xbox One. For instance If i wanted to port an IRC UWP Client to Xbox One that would not fit inside "Xbox One Emulators" It would just be relegated to the tutorials section. You see where i'm getting at

Reactions: CuriousTommy

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, the only thing I've seen is emulators.

You got to produce more content then just one IRC client if you'd want a homebrew section.

I understand that but the rate at which the content is coming is impressive to say the least. Just within a few weeks we have already seen a ton of new homebrew content for the Xbox One. And more is coming soon. I still hold to my belief that it deserves it's own homebrew section.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just came across this

https://gbatemp.net/forums/switch-hacking-homebrew.285/

I'm honestly at loss for why the Switch already has a homebrew section when there isn't even any content for it available yet... Just the potential for homebrew with a userland webkit exploit that may or may not even lead to kernel access.
That's Kinda weird

I smell favortism :P

Last edited by wiired24,

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just came across this

https://gbatemp.net/forums/switch-hacking-homebrew.285/

I'm honestly at loss for why the Switch already has a homebrew section when there isn't even any content for it available yet... Just the potential for homebrew with a userland webkit exploit that may or may not even lead to kernel access.
That's Kinda weird

I smell favortism :P
yea and if hacks are concerned hows this > http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/xbox-one-edge-browser-exploit-released.44366/

it maybe patched but so isnt the switch hack

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So we can at least agree on a dedicated Emulator section then?

That's what I said ;p

Aaaaand how many noobs would assume they could play XBONER games on their laptops based on that naming sceme.

Wii U emulators = Cemu.

Emulators for Wii U = retroarch etc, etc..

Noobs also come here asking for ROMs.
Any one with a bit of common sense will know there's no Xboner emulator.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulator sections when I see them tend to be more for emulators of a device than emulators for a device.

Anyway my general checklist/thought process here.

Dev modes can certainly count. However the nature of any restrictions can play into the final decision. Going into the future the concept of homebrew, then PD, as it was invented for Japanese game consoles (and then the xbox when that appeared and followed methods used) is going to be increasingly hard to define, at least until we run into

Anyway that is getting off topic.
Is this restricted mode likely to yield anything useful? For reference see things like blu ray java, javascript/HTML (there are full emulators and all sorts running in them now) and flash. They all had small quirks (I recall the wii video streaming thing using the browser). While not full access there does appear to be enough relative computing grunt to be useful, possibly even to the point where *points at raspberry pi* is not necessarily a viable counter. I feel like I should probably contemplate PS2 and PS3 Linux here, however I will let history speak to that one.
Is the dev mode reasonably able to be accessed? Unlike the Wii U one and the Vita one, possibly even the XNA stuff from the 360, this seems to be a small one time charge and basically anybody is then free and clear to do whatever they like. To my mind and from a functional perspective this renders it no different really to buying a mod chip or flash chart. I know we had fanboys of flash carts and mod chips, and worse still at times free custom firmwares, but to stop things because of those would appear like one of those baby with the bathwater situations.

I would like to see full control rendered available to anybody with the means to display a web page or pop a USB drive in their machine, or indeed solder something, and absolutely support efforts to that end. This does not detract from that, other than if the favourite slide from the peeps that did the wii, ps3 and such presentations still applies and by giving this sort of access it prevents some of the better minds from needing to go there, something which is at best an academic or security discussion if you are a company making a locked down system. If further down the line this causes a further discussion then so it goes, or alternatively we had 360 DVD mods and JTAG/RGH (I would say king kong but again history) existing side by side without major issue.

Emulators vs the world. It does make me shake my head when I see people skip over non emulator homebrew and consider it just emulators for the likes of the GBA and DS, a bit like when ROM hacking is assumed to be mario level makers and translations. Going back to my thoughts about the future then I am not seeing the scope for another real homebrew boom/community like we had for the GBA, DS, PSP, xbox and Wii (3ds deliberately omitted from this list) as far as framed around specific devices. There will always be people making cool stuff because they want to but these days portable computing devices with enough grunt and ease by which to run stuff exist, small cheap things with enough grunt and theoretically even greater ease to run stuff that plug into an HDMI port exist and we still have computers/laptops but they are now cheap enough that I know many people buy them with specific tasks in mind that would never have considered that 10 years ago. While I might like to see a further merge between portable devices and everything else that seems to be a bit far off being able to drop a phone on a wireless charger and have it beam to a screen somewhere nearby. To that end the days of device specific general homebrew are either over or very much limited.
With that said emulators alone are enough to carry a section and I don't feel the need to make a distinction there.

To that end and if my understanding, admittedly still hazy on some of the specifics, is accurate and there is scope for near anybody to get a dev kit of a sort from a retail device with a small charge. There is some desire for these things, possibly even beyond the usual "my device and thus my rules; give me all the freedom I can have" set, and better yet there is already a steady stream of work happening. While I would probably consider the steps trivial it is still worth a hand holding tutorial for some, said some that might at the same time have no trouble with a variety of other devices. The xbox console family is also in line with what we do here; few devs ever raced to mirror news here but I am quite happy with how the 360 section went on this site, and though it was quite often after the fact (IRC was a different matter) the original xbox discussions here were also good. My only real misgiving is thus far I have seen a lot of "here is how you do [some specific task which in reality happens in an almost identical manner to everything else]", and that is a only just above minor stylistic quibble.
Seems like grounds for a trial section if nothing else.

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe there should be a homebrew section, maybe not "hacking", but at least homebrew or development. We do hard work to make what we have so far, so we should have a section dedicated to it. Plus the xbone meets the same standards that the switch has for its homebrew section.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with @wiired24 and the OP. We need a Development/Homebrew section! Any mods watching this thread?! How is anyone supposed to know about this stuff if they don't know where to find it?
Might have to find the admins elsewhere to politely voice them our concern about this.

Well the thing is, there is more than emulators when it comes to xbox one homebrew. I will agree that is shouldn't be called hacking, but it certainly falls under homebrew. I saw some people port some windows store games for example, and I am interested in porting fan games with open source code like sonic doom

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, like I said, more content has to be produced then.

Wii U and 3DS also got dedicated emulator sections.

You do know that the wii u for a very long while only had "nintendon't" and that is it. It is only last year when loadiine became a thing. And yet it had its own section before that.

Last edited by kingtut,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1