Suggestion Xbone Hacking/HBrew section?

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not signed code considering the fact that Microsoft outright banned all emulators. So that technically classifies it as homebrew (software not signed by publisher that is ported by regular individuals). I just started getting into xbox homebrew scene recently. And IMHO, it is so underrated and more people really need to know about it. It is very accessible and there is already cool shit that has been ported to it, all you need to do is pay 20 dollars for dev account. Once you do, you can do all kinds of shit without fear of patching or banning or bricking anything. At this point, it is the only current gen device that is capable of homebrew which means that it does already have an audience for it who needs to know more about it (I know the wii u is technically from the same generation, but it is dead at the moment with the exception of the homebrew community). If xbox homebrew becomes more popular, we can even get more cool open source games and apps. Think of all the open source projects that we can port (MUGEN, Emulators, Fan Games with open source).

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Hey, friend of @wiired24 here,

Me, wiired and @ElijahZAwesome are working on a very big project, that, because we can all work on, technically means that it doesnt have to be signed and locked to one developer license, and can you run unsigned code in normal retail mode? No, but you can In DevMode. What did unsigned code mean for the 3DS? Oh yea... HOMEBREW, I think that the xbone should actually have a homebrew section

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms (usually with hardware restrictions) not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods. This can include games developed with official development kits, such as Net Yaroze, Linux for PlayStation 2 or Microsoft XNA" (This is the official definition of homebrew by Wikipedia, According to the sentences I have bolded, dev mode is indeed homebrew).

Reactions: wiired24

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
There is literally nothing regarding hacking and homebrew for XBOX One as of now. That will be a waste of space.

Only some DEVKIT stuff, and that alone won't give hack.
A waste of space... A WASTE OF SPACE? ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME? DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH A SECTION THAT IS EMPTY ON THIS FORUM TAKES UP IN ACTUAL DISK SPACE? O YEA, AROUND MAX 10-15MB...

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I would argue adding a homebrew section would also have the side effect of drawing more traffic to the site. It's kind of obscure right now to really find information about homebrew on Xbox One and if it had it's own section homevrew on the Xbox One wouldn't be relegated to the tutorials section and more people would be made aware of just what they can do with their hardware

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A waste of space... A WASTE OF SPACE? ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME? DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH A SECTION THAT IS EMPTY ON THIS FORUM TAKES UP IN ACTUAL DISK SPACE? O YEA, AROUND MAX 10-15MB...

David I aprriciate your enthusiasim, but let's try and keep it civil bud. No need for going off on other members.

Last edited by wiired24,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Please don't play with words. You know it wasn't literally what I meant.

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Please don't play with words. You know it wasn't literally what I meant.
First, sorry for the language, second one section wont be a waste of space... what space will it waste? It wont be a frontpage thing that you can say "O its taking up the frontpage", no, its a neat subforum of the Xbox section, that to actually see you need to access the previously mentioned xbox section

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
First, sorry for the language, second one section wont be a waste of space... what space will it waste? It wont be a frontpage thing that you can say "O its taking up the frontpage", no, its a neat subforum of the Xbox section, that to actually see you need to access the previously mentioned xbox section
What I meant is that it won't be useful, because apart from DEVKIT, nothing has been done on the XBOX One scene. No homebrew, no piracy, no nothing. That will simply wonh't happen until we have an actual homebrew base, assuming DEVKITs can be used to this purpose, more than a few emulators made from Developpers accounts.

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
What I meant is that it won't be useful, because apart from DEVKIT, nothing has been done on the XBOX One scene. No homebrew, no piracy, no nothing. That will simply wonh't happen until we have an actual homebrew base, assuming DEVKITs can be used to this purpose, more than a few emulators made from Developpers accounts.
But thats why we want a homebrew section, to make people aware of this devkit stuff, and piracy... homebrewing isnt about piracy, its about bringing cool stuff to the console, for example, the kodi team is working on bringing Kodi to the Xbone trough DevKit

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
But thats why we want a homebrew section, to make people aware of this devkit stuff, and piracy... homebrewing isnt about piracy, its about bringing cool stuff to the console, for example, the kodi team is working on bringing Kodi to the Xbone trough DevKit
My guess would be that a section would be made when something gets released and well known. Not before :)
[edit] The same situation happened for the WiiU.

Reactions: wiired24

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is literally nothing regarding hacking and homebrew for XBOX One as of now. That will be a waste of space.

Only some DEVKIT stuff, and that alone won't give hack.

I understand your concerns, But let's put it this way. Most people started knowing about xbox one homebrew (dev mode hacks if you prefer) in the last two weeks and we already have a lot of stuff. We have nesbox, ppsspp (which only runs on phones and pc up until now), Ps1 in development, n64 is in development as well, 4chip emulator that was released today, gba emulator that is out, and some games from windows 10 store. Most homebrew features from other consoles take months until emulators start showing up (look at how long it took for emulators to come out on ps vita for example). There is definitely enough of content to justify the extra forum, And I am sure more will come later as our numbers increase and more people become committed to the idea.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand though for people who have not been involved with the Xbox One homebrew scene it might be difficult to appriciate the value of having a homebrew section for Xbox One on the site. The community is growing rapidly and many of us feel there needs to be a place other than just the tutorials section to accomadate the growing community, Sure we could just go to some other site but we love GbaTemp and when I found out about homebrew on the Xbox One and when I started porting software sure I could have just went to any other site on the internet and contriubted to their community but I feel like GBATemp is a great place for developers and users to collaborate together. I don't care what it's called "Homebrew" "Developer apps" etc I just think it's only fair that Xbox One devs who are making homebrew for the console can at least have a place to call their own

Thus far we have

CHIP 8
Nesbox (NES,SNES,GB,GBC,SG)
PPSSPP
VBA10
Win64e10
PSX-BOX (In Development)

Last edited by wiired24,

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In my opinion , Xbox One should have a Hacking Section , after all , this community is known for their homebrew on consoles. Besides there has been done some work regarding homebrew of Xbox One , and im sure the people who are working on Xbox One homebrew would truly appreciate to have a hacking section. :)

Last edited by SonicCloud,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I understand your concerns, But let's put it this way. Most people started knowing about xbox one homebrew (dev mode hacks if you prefer) in the last two weeks and we already have a lot of stuff. We have nesbox, ppsspp (which only runs on phones and pc up until now), Ps1 in development, n64 is in development as well, 4chip emulator that was released today, gba emulator that is out, and some games from windows 10 store. Most homebrew features from other consoles take months until emulators start showing up (look at how long it took for emulators to come out on ps vita for example). There is definitely enough of content to justify the extra forum, And I am sure more will come later as our numbers increase and more people become committed to the idea.
I guess you're right on this point. If any more comes and expands, indeed we would need a specific section. I was saying that this is maybe too soon to make any move, as it currently is :)

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you're right on this point. If any more comes and expands, indeed we would need a specific section. I was saying that this is maybe too soon to make any move, as it currently is :)

Yeah I understand where you are coming from Vin. Everything is happening so fast that everyone who's out of the loop with it is just like Wait What O.o? Lol

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That is a fair point, But I guess my question is, if we already use a feature that is very accessible (just 20 dollars), and we already have a lot of emulators and even some homebrew games like Jack and Jill. What more do we need to prove that we need an expansion?

Reactions: Quantumcat

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a fair point, But I guess my question is, if we already use a feature that is very accessible (just 20 dollars), and we already have a lot of emulators and even some homebrew games like Jack and Jill. What more do we need to prove that we need an expansion?

Actually Free if you're a student. Plus when one person has a dev account they can share theirs with 2 others as well thereby multiplying the number of people who have homebrew on their Xbox One. I dont see it as any different than having to go out and purchase an R4 Card for a DS. I mean yeah it sucks you gotta pay a small one time fee but it's well worth it in terms to homebrew content you get.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think accessibility to any end user would be pretty convincing. It currently looks very complicated to set up. If I was wrong in any of my statement, I will take them back immediately :)

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I think accessibility to any end user would be pretty convincing. It currently looks very complicated to set up. If I was wrong in any of my statement, I will take them back immediately :)
it isnt complicated at all, you buy the account, download an app, log into said account, type a code and then you just navigate to XboxOne: (and a port that it gives you) in a browser and install all the apps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1