Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabi Ice Cream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get it, man. And, I also understand that it's a good thing to document these things, for information's sake.
But, this thread has gotten so out of hand with people expecting info that will ensure their safety, and it cannot be guaranteed.
If people are willing to risk their consoles/accounts, for the sake of gathering information, that's a different thing.
Draxzelex's ban thread is okay, but there's information that can't be gained from a simple Yes/No question.
Testing really needs to be done in a closed and controlled environment, and extensively documented, or the results are totally unreliable. Just look at OP.

EDIT: Also, I realize that level of testing is a bit unrealistic when it comes to this specific use-case with the Switch, but at least the documentation could be much better.
Everyone is saying WHAT they ran, but it'd also be extremely useful to know WHEN it was ran, or for how long, stuff like that.
I personally haven't taken any crazy precautions on trying to prevent a ban. I leave my system in SX OS, and connected online at all times, as well as update all my games from SX OS. I use my Switch maybe once a week, just to check, and then take things a bit further. When I'm banned (and not if, because I'm sure it will happen), I'll at least know exactly what I did the previous week that might be the true cause, and not something I'd done months ago.
This is a much better way to document things, in my opinion.

Last edited by Wasabi Ice Cream,
Reactions: ByteBite

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draxzelex's ban thread is okay, but there's information that can't be gained from a simple Yes/No question.
You know, someone actually suggested making a new thread about this but only after I told them about my banning thread (which they simultaneously put me on full blast for). What is also funny is my way of countering the limited info I get from Yes/No questions is countered by adding more Yes/No questions which is both a good and bad thing. But I do agree with what your saying that this thread gives off a false feeling of security when in reality, its just people who haven't been banned yet. And not being banned yet doesn't mean you're safe. After all, its only been a year and a half since the console came out and bans started en masse last month.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I get it, man. And, I also understand that it's a good thing to document these things, for information's sake.
But, this thread has gotten so out of hand with people expecting info that will ensure their safety, and it cannot be guaranteed.
If people are willing to risk their consoles/accounts, for the sake of gathering information, that's a different thing.
Testing really needs to be done in a closed and controlled environment, and extensively documented, or the results are totally unreliable. Just look at OP.

EDIT: Also, I realize that level of testing is a bit unrealistic when it comes to this specific use-case with the Switch, but at least the documentation could be much better.
Everyone is saying WHAT they ran, but it'd also be extremely useful to know WHEN it was ran, or for how long, stuff like that.
I personally haven't taken any crazy precautions on trying to prevent a ban. I leave my system in SX OS, and connected online at all times, as well as update all my games from SX OS. I use my Switch maybe once a week, just to check, and then take things a bit further. When I'm banned (and not if, because I'm sure it will happen), I'll at least know exactly what I did the previous week that might be the true cause, and not something I'd done months ago.
This is a much better way to document things, in my opinion.
The OP member dug his own grave! If you follow the thread you will read he was doing very well and stuck to the rules but he got complacent and started using roms without certificates and also used nsp installs online, if you go and read his ban notes you will notice a lot of mistakes were being made you can’t go on his history now it’s redundant in fact the opening post should be updated with this new information, it doesn’t show a correct observation.

Last edited by Reecey,

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk how i havent been banned yet. using all my own dumps but also have been playing VBA-Next alot. connected to wifi 24/7. on SX OS 24/7. Just bought a game from the eshop no problem.

Last edited by Whole lotta love,
Reactions: Reecey

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
There no other option, i never updated, i went online only a single time, i would peridodically check with regular FW to see if i was banned and i never was, and today i am, so idk what could've happened.

Unless they were severely corrupt dumps, that shouldn't have happened and is extremely dangerous on Nintendo's part since a bad legit download, dirty cartridge, failing SD card or malfunctioning cart slot can all cause problems like that.

It reminds me of the DDE bans on the 360 around 5 or 6 years ago that MS then had to reverse a month later.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
That's why I like the idea of using certificate bans over console bans. Not everyone who has gotten a certificate ban has gotten a console ban.
It might evolve into a never-ending goose chase for non-banned certificates that eventually leaves the whole used-games marketplace with banned games, but that's a little extreme. It could also be a parent of a child who is confused why their game is not letting their child go online to play which could lead into a whole slew of problems.

And that is why cert bans are most likely going to be temporary IMHO. It risks making a total mess of the used game market otherwise and could create legal and support problems for Nintendo.

Do we know for sure they're not console specific?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that is why cert bans are most likely going to be temporary IMHO. It risks making a total mess of the used game market otherwise and could create legal and support problems for Nintendo.

Do we know for sure they're not console specific?
It really doesn't because Nintendo doesn't see any money off of used games as much as pirated games. If a parent buys their kid a used game and it can't go online, its not Nintendo's fault because it was sold outside of their control. It would be up to the buyer and seller of a used game to make sure it plays properly. If the parent calls and asks why the game can't be played, all Nintendo has to do is say that the game was hacked and most parents would return the game. If a parent wanted to push that they were not the ones who hacked the game and Nintendo were to accept proof of this, maybe Nintendo could reverse the cert ban. But this would open a whole can of worms where hackers could easily do the same thing to unban their certs.

Also, cert bans are not console specific. They can be implemented with or without a console ban.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
It really doesn't because Nintendo doesn't see any money off of used games as much as pirated games. If a parent buys their kid a used game and it can't go online, its not Nintendo's fault because it was sold outside of their control. It would be up to the buyer and seller of a used game to make sure it plays properly. If the parent calls and asks why the game can't be played, all Nintendo has to do is say that the game was hacked and most parents would return the game. If a parent wanted to push that they were not the ones who hacked the game and Nintendo were to accept proof of this, maybe Nintendo could reverse the cert ban. But this would open a whole can of worms where hackers could easily do the same thing to unban their certs.

Also, cert bans are not console specific. They can be implemented with or without a console ban.

It all seems very underhanded and anti-consumerist to me. It's unlikely to be a popular move with the likes of Amazon and GameStop either.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all seems very underhanded and anti-consumerist to me. It's unlikely to be a popular move with the likes of Amazon and GameStop either.
Amazon might be harder to implement this with since the game has to be shipped before it can be tested (unless they request video proof of it playing online). Gamestop on the other hand could easily ask customers to connect to their Wi-Fi and try playing online. Or they could simply not ask whether the game can play online and deal with the consequences when an irate customer returns yelling that their son can't pubstomp in Splatoon. The former seems like a more realistic scenario.

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk how i havent been banned yet. using all my own dumps but also have been playing VBA-Next alot. connected to wifi 24/7. on SX OS 24/7. Just bought a game from the eshop no problem.
Been a month and I'm not banned as well, only been playing XCI backups always with a certificate and homebrew offline. I go online to update check the eshop and stuff.

Reactions: Reecey

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Some of Nintendo's largest customers are deeply involved in used sales (Nintendo, Amazon). Nintendo harming the second hand market would be REALLY bad for these relationships and would likely hurt Nintendo.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Been a month and I'm not banned as well, only been playing XCI backups always with a certificate and homebrew offline. I go online to update check the eshop and stuff.
Thanks, see doubters seems it’s not all that bad still a few of us originals going over a month or so of use, it’s all in the rules that keeps you going! ;)
Just out of curiosity where are you from region?

Edit: I bet your installing nsp through the DevMenu as well but not going online of course?

also I have to ask you did you collect your reward coins on your retail donors?

Last edited by Reecey,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of Nintendo's largest customers are deeply involved in used sales (Nintendo, Amazon). Nintendo harming the second hand market would be REALLY bad for these relationships and would likely hurt Nintendo.
True, then I guess it would be up to the second hand markets to properly regulate themselves because its not like Nintendo is banning these games for no good reason. The only issue is that there is no way for someone to claim innocence at being a second hand victim to this practice. At least no standardized way.

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, see doubters seems it’s not all that bad still a few of us originals going over a month or so of use, it’s all in the rules that keeps you going! ;)
Just out of curiosity where are you from region?

Edit: I bet your installing nsp through the DevMenu as well but not going online of course?

also I have to ask you did you collect your reward coins on your retail donors?
Nope haven't installed any NSP's or used DevMenu and I'm located in North America.

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

are you using your own backups or using a donor cert with downloaded backups?

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
donor for most backups using certs from gamefly rentals.
glad that's working for you. might wanna get a couple games to have so no one else uses the same cert as you. or at least get a game from gamestop then return it so you have a smaller chance of getting the cert banned.
im still too nervous to use donors so ive just been getting hella games from gamestop

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll probably start using SX OS this week.
There are some raccomended cert to use right?
1)Best card1 game to extract the cert is Zelda?
2)And the best card2 game is?
Ps: I'm from Europe Italy, any other European guy still alive? How long have you been online?
@Receey it seems you know what you're doing can you please do a complete guide with all the tips? Maybe a new thread since this one have no point now to be used.

Ragenrok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would also love a good guide of what we know now and recommended carts for cart 1/cart 2. Not sure which game I should buy for my cart2 certs

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would also love a good guide of what we know now and recommended carts for cart 1/cart 2. Not sure which game I should buy for my cart2 certs

Reecey is the one in Europe who hasn't gotten banned doing the cert's. They have the xbox 360's in their avatar.

iirc you want the biggest game available for that cart type. Zelda is good because it's a large cart (16gb)

so for type 2 you want a 16gb as well (the largest type 2 card available). Wolfenstein 2 will work. I believe that's what reesey uses.

You can find which carts work at this site http://nswdb.com/

Just filter imagesize from largest to smallest. If you scroll all the way to the right it will show the cart type (1 or 2). conveniently, when you filter by cart size it also sorts by cart type so you can easily find the 16gb type 2 carts you can use for your type 2 donors.

hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later