Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The "trending" videos always turn out to be "FREE 24/7 LIVE EPISODES of *enter popular cartoon here*". That, or things completely catered to my interests, and it's the same handful of videos each time. It was a bit of a relief when I signed out of YouTube once, just to see what it'd recommend me without all my history guiding its recommended videos.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed with Chary, the trending section is invariably always videos that know how to game the YouTube algorithm, which presently is livestreams that run as long as possible with content that caters to a young audience that isn't interested in variety

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GensokyoIceFairy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
YouTube has been garbage since April 2012.

Now it tends to make videos trending that are either for kids or catered to you as Chary said.

I moved away from YouTube to VidLii, not exactly the best alternative at all, but I did so because YT suspended my account for linking to a site in my video descriptions.

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never seems to be catered to me. I made this thread because past 2 weeks I have been clicking “don’t like this video - don’t like this channel” on far too many videos...
Still get nothing that is actually “catered” to me....

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure. Lately the trending section looks quite fishy to me.
Either trendy... or we will make them trend through ad-nauseam forced recommendation because we got paid to do so.

PS: specially so with those Jimmy Fallon videos that for the sake of god I would pay myself youtube to not show ever again on the recommended list... Hmmm... perhaps that is a Youtube Premium feature, that it actually gives a fuck about you clicking "don't like this video".

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, the trending page is bad.

Just go to the Gaming section, and you will find yourself in an infinity-long wall of Fortnite short movies, sometimes being #1 on Trending.

Pyro already talked about this in a video, it’s just 2 players staring at each other, speaking into their mics, say some childish things until they get to the 10 minute mark, insert 6 mid-roll ads and become #1 on the trending page.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
The problem with the trending page is that YouTube decides if they cam make a lot of profit and money of the video.
Things like songs, popular games (Fortnite :/) and sometimes clickbait.

“HAVING SEX WITH SIRI (GONE WRONG)” by elisocry,
apparently f a m i l y f r i e n d l y content

So, we cannot even say “hell” or “damn” in a video without seeing that nasty yellow icon, but they get away with such clickbaity content that YouTube thinks is “kid friendly”.
That genuelly triggers me.

To make matters worse: Some thumbnail with big boobs is #4 on Trending, because YouTube KNOWS they can make profit of it!

Last edited by MaxiBash,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to avoid trending/popular videos for a reason, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good. Couldn't care less, same goes with uber popular YouTubers, I just avoid them, easier that way. And something viral is ironic, because the word "virus" comes from the Latin "poison", something to think about.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
I actually don't like how YouTube is designed overall, like the mobile homepage is nothing but recommended videos which prevents me from exploring new content. The trending page is one big advertisement firm and signing out just makes my homepage trending.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Suddenly I am seeing the whole “try not to laugh” bullshit all over again. Videos from couple of years re-appearing... I have clicked 10 of those “I don’t like this video” and I still get those recommended :/

Edit: just saw pewdiepie uploaded something similar. Maybe caused a resurgence of this type of shit

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
*insert nope.avi sound stretched to 8 seconds*

Yeah, no, the "trending" section is pure nightmare fuel ._.
Like seriously... who the FUCK wants to see a mom breastfeed a kid, I find it disgusting. It has 40M views ._.

I avoid that hell at all cost. I just log in and sometimes (try to) adjust the view by clicking the X / "I don't like this" on the videos.

Too bad the "relevant" videos section was completely revamped, so now that also shows crap and paid content, and paid crap.

Last edited by Sono,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk