Gaming Zelda Wii U delayed to 2016

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think NX might stand for "new experience", in which case whatever it is, it will probably have a new control style or in another way be something entirely new and unique. It will be interesting to see.
They've said that it's not meant to replace the existing consoles but to complement them, so it's hard to imagine what it might be.

That the NX is not supposed to replace the Wii U should be most concerning if they don't have a replacement in development.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That the NX is not supposed to replace the Wii U should be most concerning if they don't have a replacement in development.
Why would you assume they wouldn't have a replacement in development just because the NX wasn't the replacement? They're always working on their next hardware.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I read an interesting theory elsewhere that perhaps the NX isn't necessarily a hardware console, but rather some kind of development platform. I mean, Nintendo has said nothing about what the NX is supposed to be, and have only vaguely implied that it might be hardware (very, very vaguely). It could make more sense to consider that it may be a unified development platform meant to simplify development between their next devices (both handheld and home console) in order to decrease development time, as well as encourage the development of original content from other developers on Nintendo consoles. It will likely be employed at the end of the Wii U/3DS life, but meant primarily for their next gen hardware.

I imagine it will probably be announced alongside their next gen hardware lineup, or at least the handheld, assuming this theory is correct. The 3DS and the Wii U are both clearly on the way out, and I can't see Nintendo putting off a new hardware release for either past 2017.

Reactions: VinsCool

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Still one of Nintendo's strongest systems, and best sellers. It had something for everyone, casuals and hardcore gamers or those somewhere inbetween.
Considering Nintendo's home consoles have been piss poor ever since the N64 it's not surprising, yeah sure the GameCube did have a pretty decent library and the Wii was OK now as for the Wii U.. it it has about 20 Wii U good games by including the upcoming Zelda, Star Fox, Yoshi, Xenoblade and Devil's Third. Y'know, it could've had a much worse catalogue (Virtual Boy).

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't see why Nintendo would waste time supporting two consoles at once. One of them will inevitably be the superior one, and it's be stupid to keep actively developing games on obsolete hardware.

But that kinda makes me think that NX may only be a hybrid 3DS/Wii U. Which'll be useless, because people who want a 3DS have a 3DS, people who want a Wii U have a Wii U, and people who want both likely have both.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iwata has already said it wont be a hybrid platform.
Also NX will definitely replace wiiu imo.

quote from Tanabe (metroid prime producer);
Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe said that due to the amount of content such a game would require, it would probably take several years to develop.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

And here a quote from reggie

"We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.”

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't see why Nintendo would waste time supporting two consoles at once. One of them will inevitably be the superior one, and it's be stupid to keep actively developing games on obsolete hardware.

But that kinda makes me think that NX may only be a hybrid 3DS/Wii U. Which'll be useless, because people who want a 3DS have a 3DS, people who want a Wii U have a Wii U, and people who want both likely have both.

They need to support the Wii U until 2018-19 for its customers and then maybe give us a discount too for buying a commercial failure console with very little to offer.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
They need to support the Wii U until 2018-19 for its customers and then maybe give us a discount too for buying a commercial failure console with very little to offer.
I don't think that is possible for Nintendo. It's been confirmed that new Metroid is not in development for the Wii U (or even at all currently), we haven't even gotten one Zelda yet (coming sometime in 2016), they've completely ignored big Mario adventures this generation (probably seen as too much work and too expensive to make), etc. Yeah, there's stuff they could do, but frankly, we would have seen something from just about all of this already if they intended to do more than one this generation, or if they intended to do it at all. Otherwise what else is there to do with the Wii U? I guess they could surprise us, but the Wii U has been seeing a continuing decline in releases, not really any spikes in content. Currently 2016 is looking to be a pretty empty year for the Wii U which is part of the overall larger reason people are expecting a successor announcement next year.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty clear wiiu wont be supported that long.
Their rls schedule looks awfully similiar to this (last 2 years on wii):

2012 saw Nintendo release in North America:
Kirby port collection (never even hit Europe)
Pikmin 2 port
Xenoblade, 3 year late localization
Mario Party 9
Pokepark
Rhythm Heaven Fever

Hell of a lineup right?

All hands on the Wii U deck right?

Oh, and if youre curious, 2011 had
Fortune Street
Mario and Sonic Olympics
Kirby
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident
Wii Play Motion
Mario Sports Mix
Syward Sword

Hell of a lineup right?

I means thats two entire years where you had two serious games, Skyward Sword and Kirby. On the most successful video game console of all time.

Getting ready for wiiu... but still botch the wiiu launch + game droughts. >.<

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Its pretty clear wiiu wont be supported that long.
Their rls schedule looks awfully similiar to this (last 2 years on wii):
If it isn't they should offer up something because so far it's been a pretty disappointing experience. Even Splatoon didn't hold my interest for too long.

I suspect Yoshi might be one of those games that'll surprise me for the better.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anybody know why Woolly World has received the delay of death for NA? I mean, at least some European delays could be rationalized, but I'm legitimately having a hard time explaining a nearly four month difference between releases.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Does anybody know why Woolly World has received the delay of death for NA? I mean, at least some European delays could be rationalized, but I'm legitimately having a hard time explaining a nearly four month difference between releases.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was delayed in Europe/UK/Australia because of the multi-languages but had they released an exclusive English version for UK and Australia it would've came out same time as US.

Now as for Yoshi's game, reason? Maybe they're planning to release more content via DLC by the time it's out in US.

I'll be playing the game with the Yarn Yoshi and the plastic amiibos to get the most out of it even if it's not that whole lot.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems to be getting okay reviews.

Games Radar said the game's a basic platformer with no originality whatsoever and the stages are pretty much what you'd expect from a Mario game.

Well, I paid £24 so hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

EDIT: GR's review @

No originality whatsoever? Did whoever reviewed it suffer from blindness? The visuals alone make it look more original than 99% of the games out there.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
No originality whatsoever? Did whoever reviewed it suffer from blindness? The visuals alone make it look more original than 99% of the games out there.
It too reminded me of a certain game that I played on PS3 which was also a platformer and allowed to create your own levels.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Forgive the formatting as I am on mobile at the moment, but in a complete breaking news story, Nintendo has confirmed that Zelda Wii U, arguably one of the most anticipated Nintendo titles of this year, has now been delayed to 2016.

It's delayed because they are going to release it for the WiiU and the NX together.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one