Zune HD

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or as I have decided to call it, the mp3 player anyone outside America will never see. People have been scratching their heads all over the interweb trying to figure out why Microsoft is not releasing the Zune HD worldwide in September and for those still wondering, it is all because of a simple encoding for the music, movies and games on the Zune Marketplace that is preventing it from being released. If you guessed DRM, you are right and it is blatantly clear that Microsoft is trying to force it down people's throats even though the biggest mp3 player producer in the world, Apple, abolished DRM from all music 9 months ago when the iTunes store went completely DRM free for all songs, however games, movies and all of the other content provided still have DRM. So if you are one of the ones thinking of buying a Zune HD or expecting it to come out later, you are foolish because there is no expected release date, especially in Canada where the current copyright laws frown upon DRM yet that could all soon change.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I buy CDs to rip them in V0 LAME MP3, instead of buying shitty quality music from a shitty software.

And I sure as hell enjoy paying 399 for an apple labeled iPod Touch, when I can just import a Zune HD a whole lot less.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, good luck importing it, doubt anything other then music playback will work and there is no sense seeing as how no one in this country will have it. Zune's were a waste before since no one bought into them, what makes Microsoft think that people will buy them now, especially with DRM being forced down our throats. And enjoy overpaying for music because you want to buy into supporting the record companies directly, fuck buying CD's for 30 dollars, that is a bloody rip off for a piece of plastic with some songs on it.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Yeah, good luck importing it, doubt anything other then music playback will work and there is no sense seeing as how no one in this country will have it. Zune's were a waste before since no one bought into them, what makes Microsoft think that people will buy them now, especially with DRM being forced down our throats. And enjoy overpaying for music because you want to buy into supporting the record companies directly, fuck buying CD's for 30 dollars, that is a bloody rip off for a piece of plastic with some songs on it.

So what if nobody imports it into Canada? What's so bad about it? It's not as if everyone buys the same products as everyone else to feel accepted in society.

Wifi will work fine in Canada, and everything else will be fine. Not sure what you mean by "nothing will work other than music playback". The only thing that probably wouldn't work is the HD radio, but that's the only "major" feature that *probably* wouldn't work.

Unless you're importing a CD or buying a special edition set, barely any CDs will cost you that much. Hell, even my imported special edition 3 disc Dream Theater album was 25 bucks. Of course, there were regular editions at 15 dollars as well.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
iTunes music DRM is abolished? Err.. I bought some music of there the other day and it had protection. I'm pretty sure the only way to get music without DRM on iTunes is to buy it with "iTunes +". Though this is in the Australian store.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Isn't iPod technically not an MP3 player? Isn't there a conversion process to another media format when you export/import from PC to iPod via iTunes?

Atleast with a Zune it plays MP3's through a drag and drop instead of using that shitty iTunes management software.

But I'm not going to get into an iPod vs Zune debate as I strongly believe that cheaper devices are not only a better value, but much better players than Zune or iPod could hope to be.

But even then, its like "Why bother?" Chances are than a majority of people on GBAtemp own a Nintendo DS and a flashcart. And 16GB Micro SD cards are as low as $50 these days, which could fit 150 DS games with enough room left over for 3,000+ music files. I have a hundred DS games on my 8GB and still have room for another 40.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So what your saying is that they can't release the Zune HD worldwide because there too lazy to sign the rights to each album and song and movies, etc. Due to the fact it would take alot of time?

That's some shitty excuse that MS would make.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PettingZoo said:
iTunes music DRM is abolished? Err.. I bought some music of there the other day and it had protection. I'm pretty sure the only way to get music without DRM on iTunes is to buy it with "iTunes +". Though this is in the Australian store.
All the music I have purchased on the iTunes store were iTunes + and had no DRM, so I can play them on multiple computers without logging into my account or having to repurchase them.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tropicana said:
I buy CDs to rip them in V0 LAME MP3, instead of buying shitty quality music from a shitty software.

And I sure as hell enjoy paying 399 for an apple labeled iPod Touch, when I can just import a Zune HD a whole lot less.
iTunes uses 256KB/s AAC, which should be adequate. But I they don't send you a CD.

Fuck.

By the way, the device itself is sexy, with the oled, and the GUI and.. *drools*

Now give me FLAC and APE.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vidboy10 said:
So what your saying is that they can't release the Zune HD worldwide because there too lazy to sign the rights to each album and song and movies, etc. Due to the fact it would take alot of time?

No, they won't release it because a lot of countries are against DRM protection on music and have even banned it.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
PettingZoo said:
All the music I have purchased on the iTunes store were iTunes + and had no DRM, so I can play them on multiple computers without logging into my account or having to repurchase them.
Oh, I guess it may be just the Australian store then. Though you can get past them with programs that fool iTunes into burning a CD though it removes the DRM.

@Njrg: People these days just call music players MP3 players these days because they are used to it, it's just like calling all flashcarts R4's so don't get into technicalities here when we all know what we are talking about. Also you don't need to use the iTunes software to put music on the iPod, you can use winamp with plug-ins or heaps of other media players which support iPods. And by using these other media players, you can just drag and drop the music onto the iPod and use pretty much any encoding (ie: Using Winamp.).
Get your facts straight bro.

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zune music player are only available in USA and Canada. But the Zune HD, offering a true 16:9 aspect ratio and the web browser that has Flash, will be available in the USA. So by that time iPod lines in the most popular music player in the world.

Of course, for the PSP, Sony had planned for the music store.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares if the thing is DRM laced? No one is forcing you to use the Zune marketplace. Just buy your songs from iTunes+ and import them into the Zune library. (I prefer Amazon or good old piracy but to each his own)

Also HD radio will work in Canada, though not in Europe since Europe uses a technology different from HD radio in US and Canada

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Vidboy10 said:

No, they won't release it because a lot of countries are against DRM protection on music and have even banned it.
I'm really confused what DRM is..
Can somebody explain me what it is, in a easier explanation?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ferrariman said:
Somehow any player with FLAC support is "Good codec support" even thought they don't support AAC.
What are you goin on about?
tongue.gif
iTunes converts files to AAC, hell the iPod can use AAC files as well seeing as how AAC and m4a (mpeg layer 4) are similar file types. iPod's also support AIFF, WAV (not that it matters) and Apple's Lossless audio codecs. FLAC are huge audio files, any player that supported them would have loading issues or at least storage problems, I have yet to see an audio player that does play FLAC files and transfers would take forever too I would imagine.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Who cares if the thing is DRM laced? No one is forcing you to use the Zune marketplace. Just buy your songs from iTunes+ and import them into the Zune library. (I prefer Amazon or good old piracy but to each his own)

Also HD radio will work in Canada, though not in Europe since Europe uses a technology different from HD radio in US and Canada
My point was that it won't ever get released in Canada or anywhere else because of DRM, I think even the current shop that the Zune supports for downloading music has DRM protected songs which would explain why it hasn't been released worldwide. And radio in an mp3 player, lawl I had an FM radio in my Creative Zen and even outside it fucking sucked horribly, the reception was awful and I always had perfect signals on my car radio. Portable FM radios are just not meant to be anymore, few people need them with all the online functions out there these days anyway.

And the 3rd generation iPod Touch is coming out soon I do believe so the notion that the Zune HD can compete is silly, seeing as how Apple has the whole world to sell their product too while the Zune HD is limited to America.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i thought about getting one because i have a zune 30, but instead of getting on of those id rather settle for a zune 120 which is more for the money in my opinion.

and not only for that, the itouch had problems after the initial release, and microsoft rarely likes to update the zune firmware so what will that leave you with?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol