100% Disk Usage on Windows 10, What Is Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either a sledgehammer to break it to bits or a Supermagnet. in the old days at least, (not sure about now) you could take a string enough magnet or magnets and wipe the data off of... well, damn near anything. I personally did this with a Packard-Bell Desktop and a Gateway Desktop. after a few hours, well.... wiped hdd and fried motherboards. used to be that doctoring a video was a couple hours slaving over the physical tape with a razorblade. my how things have changed. Grape soda does the trick too, but for whatever reason, not orange soda. anyways, this is still all a joke, not to be attempted.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
it sounds like a driver issue, i've had the same problem try installing newer/older sata raid and chipset drivers.
or just move to old trustworthy windows 7
but how a "driver issue" could happen from a perfectly fine installation until a few days ago?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but how a "driver issue" could happen from a perfectly fine installation until a few days ago?
windows update incompatibility, it happens sometimes windows updates just don't play well with certain hardware.
this exact same thing happened to my computer it was originally on windows 7 i updated to windows 10 it worked fine for about 8 months then a windows 10 update screwed it up royally, i fixed it with some different drivers and it worked again for a few months. turns out my motherboard just wasn't officially compatible with windows 10 and it was automatically installing the wrong versions of stuff.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
windows update incompatibility, it happens sometimes windows updates just don't play well with certain hardware.
this exact same thing happened to my computer it was originally on windows 7 i updated to windows 10 it worked fine for about 8 months then a windows 10 update screwed it up royally, i fixed it with some different drivers and it worked again for a few months. turns out my motherboard just wasn't officially compatible with windows 10 and it was automatically installing the wrong versions of stuff.
I'm using Windows 8.1 drivers just fine in Windows 10 on my gaming PC. It all depends on your chipset and I'm sure most laptops would be W10 compatible.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop did the same thing until the disk died off completely just a few days ago, use some software like wd life diagnostic tool to see if your hd have too many bad sectors.

Last edited by lordkaos,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a troll.

So anyway reseting my PC is not working. I get this message: "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Please unlock to continue"
Help? I want to keep my data, sigh.
That sounds like a pending hardware failure. Even good hard drive can get locked and that alone does not mean the hard drive going bad. In order to unlock the hard drive, you must posses a special tool to unlock the drive, although not all hard drives will unlock with the tool. I think it cost around $10K, I don't know, too lazy to search for it.
Just for kick, did you try booting in safe mode? If memory serves me correctly, true safe mode is accessible when holding down Shift and clicking restart.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on a minute. Your disk drive is not bad. Your drivers aren't wrong.
You sir, have a virus. You need to have a look in regedit. malwarebytes isn't picking it up because it has a key registered in hkeylocalmachine.
You are going to need a better agent to find the virus. I would suggest kasperky tdsskiller, rkill, malwarebyte, hitman pro, adwcleaner. First thing is first. Lets uninstall google chrome and anything associated with it. (there is a real good chance the virus is using chrome to send. since you say it just closes) Then run kasperky tdsskiller and next run rkill. Since youve killed the malware process with rkill you can run malwarbytes.
Now, we run adwcleaner first and remove everything it checks as bad and save the report to your desktop as txt. Then we run hitman pro wait for it to finish and get rid of anything it marks as bad and again save the report as txt to your desktop. From there we will fun regedit and key in hkeylocalmachine. Now, take both txt files and open them up so we can view both on the fly. Lets look to see if we have keys stored for any of the deleted viruses. If/when they are found lets delete them.
What you have is a virus that is running it's process as system and using telemetry to send. it's some sort of spybot and if memory serves me right it was simply referred to as windows telemetry center. Although it could be any virus now. But you for sure have a virus. Malwarebytes alone is sadly just not enough these days. Somewhere along the lines you have picked up a virus and it has a valid key. (meaning you installed it via embedded in a program) One other place to check would be in your sun jre that is found usually in your pc c drive under programs. Check there and make sure you for some odd reason might have been given an spoicy.policy file. That will enable any java process to execute reguardless of whether its good or bad.
If you need help with any of this pm me. I will be on my computer all weekend working on a project. If I don't respond fast enough then use google. (If the question is asked correctly google will help really well)
Anyway have fun hunting the beast that is killing your pc down.

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hold on a minute. Your disk drive is not bad. Your drivers aren't wrong.
You sir, have a virus. You need to have a look in regedit. malwarebytes isn't picking it up because it has a key registered in hkeylocalmachine.
You are going to need a better agent to find the virus. I would suggest kasperky tdsskiller, rkill, malwarebyte, hitman pro, adwcleaner. First thing is first. Lets uninstall google chrome and anything associated with it. (there is a real good chance the virus is using chrome to send. since you say it just closes) Then run kasperky tdsskiller and next run rkill. Since youve killed the malware process with rkill you can run malwarbytes.
Now, we run adwcleaner first and remove everything it checks as bad and save the report to your desktop as txt. Then we run hitman pro wait for it to finish and get rid of anything it marks as bad and again save the report as txt to your desktop. From there we will fun regedit and key in hkeylocalmachine. Now, take both txt files and open them up so we can view both on the fly. Lets look to see if we have keys stored for any of the deleted viruses. If/when they are found lets delete them.
What you have is a virus that is running it's process as system and using telemetry to send. it's some sort of spybot and if memory serves me right it was simply referred to as windows telemetry center. Although it could be any virus now. But you for sure have a virus. Malwarebytes alone is sadly just not enough these days. Somewhere along the lines you have picked up a virus and it has a valid key. (meaning you installed it via embedded in a program) One other place to check would be in your sun jre that is found usually in your pc c drive under programs. Check there and make sure you for some odd reason might have been given an spoicy.policy file. That will enable any java process to execute reguardless of whether its good or bad.
If you need help with any of this pm me. I will be on my computer all weekend working on a project. If I don't respond fast enough then use google. (If the question is asked correctly google will help really well)
Anyway have fun hunting the beast that is killing your pc down.
Better yet. I'll wipe the shit up and format.
I have two partitions anyway. Copy from one to other, wipe C:/, done.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had an issue with ram/memory a few days ago, first I thought I boiled it down to adjusting the "desktop heap" but the true problem was a memory leak causing my "commit charge" to continually rise and rise till everything crashed. The culprit program looked innocent in "task manager," but when I finally terminated this one program, it all cleared up.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I had that same issue, it was my hard drive failing. Did you try a sector scan of your HDD ?

PattyFatty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by PattyFatty,

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
20 people have probably already said this but:

I know the problem. You're using windows 10.

Purge that shit and down(up)grade to Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. Fixed.
I get your point. People also have privacy concerns. The thing is though, that everything worked fine until the potential failure. At worst my HDD is to blame. If not, then maybe I could consider other options. I still have my Windows 7 disc. That's easy to switch in minutes.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Good news everyone! It's indeed a possible HDD failure. Some of my files couldn't copy. My older laptop had the same corruption problem. It was the HDD being trash. So now I can be sure it's indeed stuff being corrupted.

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I get your point. People also have privacy concerns. The thing is though, that everything worked fine until the potential failure. At worst my HDD is to blame. If not, then maybe I could consider other options. I still have my Windows 7 disc. That's easy to switch in minutes.

Back when i used to live in Thailand, I witnessed an old buddys' windows 10 machine refuse to burn a boot CD because it thought he was pirating software.

The same machine also refuses to install any type of bittorrent client for the same reason above.

That was enough for me to install GWX control panel in my two machines and my families to purge all of the windows 10 cuckoldry forever. Fuck that.

Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here