100% Disk Usage on Windows 10, What Is Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Anyway. I guess I have no other choice than getting a new HDD :( I lost a couple of files during the copy process.

I'll still whipe my C:/ partition and reinstall an OS, until shit refuses to work for good.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah - I've had the exact same issue before - super high disk usage, almost unusably slow PC. Turned out hard drive was trashed, had to buy a new hard drive. If I remember correctly, the reason it's constantly at 100% disk usage is because at some point, it'll try to load a corrupted file, and instead of giving up, it'll try to load it over and over or do other weird shit, and it takes forever for it to give up on loading the file. It has nothing to do with viruses, Windows 10 or drivers (although chances are some of those could cause similar symptoms). Do NOT try to wipe the hard drive and reuse it. It's dead.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah - I've had the exact same issue before - super high disk usage, almost unusably slow PC. Turned out hard drive was trashed, had to buy a new hard drive. If I remember correctly, the reason it's constantly at 100% disk usage is because at some point, it'll try to load a corrupted file, and instead of giving up, it'll try to load it over and over or do other weird shit, and it takes forever for it to give up on loading the file. It has nothing to do with viruses, Windows 10 or drivers (although chances are some of those could cause similar symptoms). Do NOT try to wipe the hard drive and reuse it. It's dead.
Exactly as I feared. Dammit. :(

So I was right all along. Time to buy a new HDD. My SATA2USB cable would be useful.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah a bad HDD. Kinda what I thought it was. Maybe you should upgrade to a nice sized SSD if you like the laptop. SSD prices have been going down lately.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah a bad HDD. Kinda what I thought it was. Maybe you should upgrade to a nice sized SSD if you like the laptop. SSD prices have been going down lately.

I'll definitely go forth and buy a good drive.

My HDD is a Hitachi and I heard those were crap.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'll definitely go forth and buy a good drive.

My HDD is a Hitachi and I heard those were crap.
Yeah I don't buy Hitachi drives. I actually just bought 2 1tb Seagate drives at NCIX just a moment ago for $70 each. Not a bad deal but laptop drives can cost more. I'd still recommend a SSD though. Faster, last longer and no moving parts. Much more laptop friendly.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I don't buy Hitachi drives. I actually just bought 2 1tb Seagate drives at NCIX just a moment ago for $70 each. Not a bad deal but laptop drives can cost more. I'd still recommend a SSD though. Faster, last longer and no moving parts. Much more laptop friendly.

I'll see :P

Anyway thanks everyone for the help.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

xy2_

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you still have your HDD? In that case, you didn't properly format it would be the most likely issue. Pop a Linux Mint (https://www.linuxmint.com/) livecd (or whatever your distro of choice is), insert back your HDD.

Run the live cd, then open a terminal and type "fdisk -l" to see the name of your hard drive.
Run gparted, select your drive and delete all partitions.
Once done, run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=10M count=1", replacing /dev/sda with the name of your drive. This will wipe your MBR and a bunch of stuff after, just in case.

You can reinstall your OS of choice after this; I would recommend Mint as stated above. If you still get problems with drive read and your drive starts making sounds, then the drive is indeed faulty; if not, then you're fine.

Last edited by xy2_,

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Do you still have your HDD? In that case, you didn't properly format it would be the most likely issue. Pop a Linux Mint (https://www.linuxmint.com/) livecd (or whatever your distro of choice is), insert back your HDD.

Run the live cd, then open a terminal and type "fdisk -l" to see the name of your hard drive.
Run gparted, select your drive and delete all partitions.
Once done, run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=10M count=1", replacing /dev/sda with the name of your drive. This will wipe your MBR and a bunch of stuff after, just in case.

You can reinstall your OS of choice after this; I would recommend Mint as stated above. If you still get problems with drive read and your drive starts making sounds, then the drive is indeed faulty; if not, then you're fine.
It's a GPT HDD already :)

So far I already reformated the thing. Made my partitions. I kept a 500GB untouched for my data backup. Made the Windows partitions for UEFI at the installer, and it inatalled fine. Reads are still rather slow though. So before I lose my data, I'll juat this computer untouched for now :)

Once I get my new HDD, I'll go for the dual boot plan

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just need to write zeros on first 20K sectors, actually I think just the first sector if my memory serves me correctly, to remove GPT partitions or MBR and be able to reformat GPT drive. Do not need to even write to the whole drive just to repartitions and reformat it. On the other hand zero filling the drive may force the drive to reallocate sectors from the spare pool and mark the bad sectors unusable, due to finding bad sectors that wasn't found before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay