A Nintendo Switch flashcart is being teased, and it could support all models

Screenshot_20231223-123346_Brave.jpg

Throughout the Nintendo Switch's life, we've seen modchips and softmods aplenty. What has been missing in the Switch hacking scene, though, is a flashcart; and if rumors are to be believed, one might be coming soon. A user by the name of After Time X shared on Twitter that they have exclusive information regarding testing of a flashcart that will work on all models and revisions of the Nintendo Switch. A video of "proof" was shown, of someone cycling through rom backups, and loading the games to play on their Switch OLED unit. According to the rumor, these flashcarts will begin shipping as early as next month.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion thread

Last edited by Flame,

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The arrival of a "Flashcard" at the end of a console's life doesn't seem bad to me. It is true that Switch has been easily compromised, however this can be good for selling even more hardware since there are many people who prefer not to modify the console.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hopefully not like the very first revision of the sky3ds. That thing was a real bummer.
Well, it's probably gonna be about the same with this one. You need to keep re-inserting the cartridge to switch to the next game. Pretty sure a button version will be released soon after this one. (First blue, then an orange one like Sky3DS? 😅)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is exciting, I can hardly wait for the cat and mouse game of firmware updates between Nintendo, the cart makers, and Atmosphere.

(it's gonna be a convoluted shit-show real fast, and I'm here for it.)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If game will require installed update to play online, then you can forget about it.
Updates aren't written to the game card though; they're stored on the Switch system's internal storage or SD card.
If the Switch system believes it has a legitimate physical game card inserted, you're permitted to download the update data for that game without issue. You'll still have to buy any digital DLC on offer.

It's also worth mentioning that the contents of the game card can include:
  • The base application (or multiple, in the case of multi-title cartridges)
  • Updates to the base application (which may be overridden by a newer update distributed digitally)
  • DLC (which may either be a ticket that says "you can access this content present in the update", or the actual content)
  • A firmware update for the Switch hardware
A typical complete XCI dump will contain all of these where applicable,

A small thing about the multi-title cartridges. iam8bit recently released a cartridge that has a whopping 12 titles on it. Previously, I think the Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster collection was the record with 6 titles on one cartridge.
I'm curious how this flashcart would handle that. Probably no differently from any other multi-title cartridge, as an XCI dump will store all of that anyway.

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I suspect it will be damn expensive and Nintendo will release an update to the Switch soon. Until it is priced at around 50 euros maximum. The game is not worth the candle. Because for 100 euros I have a beautifully installed and configured RP2040. But an interesting alternative

Reactions: LuigiGad

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who's gonna spend money on a flashcart when atmosphere is free? NSP files exist and there's really no reason to get a flashcart when you can just get a bigger SD card

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Not sure if anyone's mentioned, but hopefully this will work on the switch successor, since that is supposed to be backwards compatible right?
so if switch pro / switch 2 is slow to hack, we have this!

but, this may get patched and need to remain on or below a certain fw.
we'll see when it's out - cool

Reactions: zebrone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here