Hacking A Tiny Soldering Job (Reversable Trinket M0)

D

Deleted User

I had a fun few mods last night, out of 5 one of the trinkets was DOA went to program the
Only the black button. You can see in the pic I uploaded. I literally cut the little switch in half.

I do have issues sometimes. Sometimes it'll just freeze on the red SX screen. I double checked all the points, but maybe I'll have to check again.

What reset switch are you talking about?
The m0 reset switch I'd imagine. I removed it completely on my install and routed it to the vol - key so if I need to program it in horizon I just double tap vol - . It shaved enough space to let it be mounted in the battery area vs under the exhaust.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

a7mag3ddon

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have the flash needed to use SX OS on the trinket ?

thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I wouldn't mind giving this a go but it's proving difficult to find a trinket within UK. Don't really want to pay lots of shipping for Mouser or whatever.
I got mine from Kiwi-Electronics not as cheap as buying from Ali-Express or other cheap importer of course but £11 odd with 2 - 3 day delivery aint bad.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have chisel, conical, knife & radial. I just love the all around uses of conical (like tacking the usb pins), I use max heat and give a slight tap. I always felt like the chisel tip had more surface area and thus more heat, so I tend to use that tip for bigger case codes.

I was using a Dewalt d26960k with an attachment that is dime size. what you have would work, but you wouldn't want to center the gun on the USB port, just enough so that you can visualize the air hitting the 5 pins and flowing outward. Really you should be grabbing a scrap circuit board first to understand how the heat gun will work. I wouldn't recommend using tin foil, you have a chance of components lifting off after using a heat gun, best to just throw the quarter on like I did.

dont wick the pads, use my method instead - hit all areas with leaded solder to increase surface area and lower melting temperatures.

dont rip it off :P

I really need to ask you to act like a man and be mature. I'm not down for your toxic attitude and id prefer you to be upfront with your beef. High school was a very long time ago for me, and at least in my experience, NONE of the guys acted like you have been acting. So either tell me what your problem is with me, or make like a tree.

hes right, sidecutters work great! I use them for laptop DC jacks sometimes

It acts as any dongle you want it to act as, if you tap the reset switch twice you can change the payload via USB-C and a computer.

The issue is having both eyes on a microscope, one hand holding a soldering iron, one hand holding a phone. no mount is going to get in my 2-3 inch clearance between the project and the microscope, and even if it did I would then have a phone in my way.

Solder wick, yup! :D

Wait a minute, wouldn't it be easier just for it to act as SX Pro due to the fact that SX Pro or the OS itself loads external payloads through the memory stick, so you don't really need to connect it to the PC through usb c everytime you want to transfer a payload as all you have to do is out it on the memory stick, that's what I do since SX Pro does external payloads, if you go into its recovery mode to switch between CFW and OFW, there's an option menu, where you can load external payloads aswell.

Sorry if I seem like an ass, it just seems inconvenient to plug the Switch into pc everytime you wanna switch payloads considering SX OS already has the option, you just need the files on the memory stick.

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my Trinket M0 today! I ended up cutting off the top of the button since I didn't like the clicking. Works Great!

that looks awesome!!!! you could totally drill a pinhole reset switch or make a nipple with epoxy on the back cover. I love it haha
so if i flash it, can i remove the button.

its used only to enter bootloader mode right.

or can i cut a whole and once i need it i can just open the back cover.
ill use sx loader so i wont be changing it anytime soon, thats why
if you have any issues (like vol + & power booting into switch os), then a single press resets it and it will be functional again.
two presses would cause above issue, because it will be in a flashable state via USB-C
I will be ordering reed switches soon, I think it would be a fun install as opposed to having the push switch
did tiny soldering guy sent you? :creep:
I am tiny soldering guy lol
what's this thing and what it does?
it allows you to boot CFW without a computer
Someone in Germany who can do this?:D

Nice Job OP
thank you. I'm a huge fan of foreign currency, I would be more than willing to help you out :)
I wouldn't mind giving this a go but it's proving difficult to find a trinket within UK. Don't really want to pay lots of shipping for Mouser or whatever.
amazon WAS $13, now its close to $30, mouser is still set at $8 w/ $8 shipping for me. if you get it off mouser, be sure to order some reed switches while you are at it ;P
Only the black button. You can see in the pic I uploaded. I literally cut the little switch in half.

I do have issues sometimes. Sometimes it'll just freeze on the red SX screen. I double checked all the points, but maybe I'll have to check again.
Nvm, I'm dumb. Turns out you have to wait a few seconds after the Switch shuts down for it to work.

What reset switch are you talking about?

the switch you cut off my dude :P
I had a fun few mods last night, out of 5 one of the trinkets was DOA went to program the

The m0 reset switch I'd imagine. I removed it completely on my install and routed it to the vol - key so if I need to program it in horizon I just double tap vol - . It shaved enough space to let it be mounted in the battery area vs under the exhaust.
where did you order from?
Does anyone have the flash needed to use SX OS on the trinket ?

thanks.

I got mine from Kiwi-Electronics not as cheap as buying from Ali-Express or other cheap importer of course but £11 odd with 2 - 3 day delivery aint bad.
you can grab it from https://gbatemp.net/threads/trinket-m0-uf2-files-guide-battery-discharge-fix.508068/ (see attachments)
I doing fine soldering. I have been doing console repairs for many years with the majority of my clients coming from the 'temp here.

If anyone is interested in having me mod their switch then just send me a pm.
nice sig lol
Nice work OP, very clean.
thanks guy!

Last edited by LineoftheDead,
D

Deleted User

where did you order from?

buyapi.ca but they want you to make a damn account on the adafruit forums and go through all their support bs (sending pictures, getting asked 50 questions etc.) before offering a new one or refund, I don't have time for that crap so I just ordered my next batch from a place in Toronto instead. So far new batch is all good.

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buyapi.ca but they want you to make a damn account on the adafruit forums and go through all their support bs (sending pictures, getting asked 50 questions etc.) before offering a new one or refund, I don't have time for that crap so I just ordered my next batch from a place in Toronto instead. So far new batch is all good.
out of curiosity, how much would shipping be through mouser? thats good to hear man

D

Deleted User

out of curiosity, how much would shipping be through mouser? thats good to hear man
Looks like $8.00 for USPS Priority mail, which is pretty good, it would cost me $20 though since I'm in Canada xD with conversion it gets pricy. I've been trying some smaller local dealers since shipping for me is much better, lots of places are mysteriously running out of stock though haha

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once one of these devices are installed internally, how would you go about updating the payload? Could it be done through the usb C port on the switch?

Scitzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@LineoftheDead

Would you be interested in installing a trinket m0 for me with method 1 described in the link below, plus modding the switch with a crystal clear case for a fee?

gbatemp.net/threads/internal-modchip-samd21-trinket-m0-gemma-m0-itsybitsy-m0-express-guide-files-support.508068/

Gbatemp wont let me send pm's, possibly because i forgot my old username password and now it thinks im a "newbie"...sigh

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@LineoftheDead

Would you be interested in installing a trinket m0 for me with method 1 described in the link below, plus modding the switch with a crystal clear case for a fee?

gbatemp.net/threads/internal-modchip-samd21-trinket-m0-gemma-m0-itsybitsy-m0-express-guide-files-support.508068/

Gbatemp wont let me send pm's, possibly because i forgot my old username password and now it thinks im a "newbie"...sigh

It isn't difficult mate. You just need the right tools.

Have a go yourself. I started 25 years ago.

Will get you hand soldering down to 0201 in no time.

Scitzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't difficult mate. You just need the right tools.

Have a go yourself. I started 25 years ago.

Will get you hand soldering down to 0201 in no time.

Trust me, if i could I would. I've tried soldering on my xbox in the past and I can assure you my hand coordination simply doesn't have the talent required. As far as solder goes, I'm simply out of luck sadly. My only option is to throw cash at someone else, because if i had the ability I would do it without hesitation.

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trust me, if i could I would. I've tried soldering on my xbox in the past and I can assure you my hand coordination simply doesn't have the talent required. As far as solder goes, I'm simply out of luck sadly. My only option is to throw cash at someone else, because if i had the ability I would do it without hesitation.

Fair enough.

If you can't find anyone else to do it, as a last resort if you are struggling, fling it my way. 20 min job.

I've had repairs coming from literally all over the bloody globe. So I'm reluctant to take any more on. But if you are stuck, message me.
Cheers

Scitzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough.

If you can't find anyone else to do it, as a last resort if you are struggling, fling it my way. 20 min job.

I've had repairs coming from literally all over the bloody globe. So I'm reluctant to take any more on. But if you are stuck, message me.
Cheers

I immensely appreciate that. I know you're probably being stampeded with requests and I will try exhausting every option I find before messaging you, if it comes to that. I have been scouring youtube and the internet in general for shops that would do the work. I have several emails out there waiting to be answered, so I'll give it a week and if noone has offered to help me by then I'll try reaching out to you. Again, merely the offer of help is immensely appreciated. Thank you for that.

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I immensely appreciate that. I know you're probably being stampeded with requests and I will try exhausting every option I find before messaging you, if it comes to that. I have been scouring youtube and the internet in general for shops that would do the work. I have several emails out there waiting to be answered, so I'll give it a week and if noone has offered to help me by then I'll try reaching out to you. Again, merely the offer of help is immensely appreciated. Thank you for that.

No worries mate :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny