Anbernic launches its new OLED RG505 retro handheld

anbernic rg505.JPG

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic is back with another device, the RG505. Rather than an incremental upgrade, this console is a more powerful emulation device than what the company has launched up to now. Noteworthy features include a Unisoc Tiger T618 chip, the PS Vita's OLED screen and Hall-based magnetic joysticks (that counters joystick drift). Interestingly, it appears to be based only on Android 12 and might not be dual-boot like the company's other Android-enabled devices. That said, it should be able to emulate Gamecube and PS2 games decently.

The Anbernic RG505 will cost €152/$158 but the company has launched a pre-order campaign that offers $10 off till 2:00 am (PDT) on November 29 when the devices are expected to ship. Keep an eye out for our official review!

:arrow: SOURCE

Snitzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulating GC on handheld is really what I'm looking for at the moment. If this can do that without breaking the band then I'm defs interested. That being said I haven't looked at what else is available.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm very content with my RG353P at the moment, as I'm mostly playing SNES and GBA games on it.
It's the most ergonomic device I've had from them yet, and it's got just enough power to play SA-1 SNES games and even stuff like Sonic Mania full speed.
I'll keep an eye on this device, though. I do like their stuff.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Vita screen is not good for retrogaming IMO. You will get good scaling only with PSP and Vita (remember that Vita emulators are not in a usable stage, and when they reach that, I doubt this device will run anyway). Those devices are meant to run a multitude of systems, most operate on multiples 240 pixels height. The vita screen have 500 and something height, so the player will need to either letterbox the image, or get a blurry image and rely on filters to fix it. It's ok, but not ideal.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So what is new about this one really? Anbernic seems to release about a million and most of them look the same.
This one has a brand new chipset, much more powerful CPU/GPU.
They do tend to release a million versions based on the same chipset. This is the first one from the next generation. Expect a million more to follow :P

Cnotesdip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic is back with another device, the RG505. Rather than an incremental upgrade, this console is a more powerful emulation device than what the company has launched up to now. Noteworthy features include a Unisoc Tiger T618 chip, the PS Vita's OLED screen and Hall-based magnetic joysticks (that counters joystick drift). Interestingly, it appears to be based only on Android 12 and might not be dual-boot like the company's other Android-enabled devices. That said, it should be able to emulate Gamecube and PS2 games decently.

The Anbernic RG505 will cost €152/$158 but the company has launched a pre-order campaign that offers $10 off till 2:00 am (PDT) on November 29 when the devices are expected to ship. Keep an eye out for our official review!

:arrow: SOURCE

Look a lot like the switch

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
These sure are interesting colour schemes that really don't feel like they're meant to mislead the less tech literate people.
Reminds me of these bootleg consoles.

Reactions: BlueRogueAnna

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another one. :-/

Who is the target audience? There are just so many that most will likely just slim it down to the best three options: 1. Steam Deck, 2. Switch, 3. A phone with a controller attached to it (clip it or like the Switch)

Reactions: BlueRogueAnna

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Vita screen is not good for retrogaming IMO. You will get good scaling only with PSP and Vita (remember that Vita emulators are not in a usable stage, and when they reach that, I doubt this device will run anyway). Those devices are meant to run a multitude of systems, most operate on multiples 240 pixels height. The vita screen have 500 and something height, so the player will need to either letterbox the image, or get a blurry image and rely on filters to fix it. It's ok, but not ideal.
I'd say neither Vita nor PSP have a good screen for retro gaming. You'll always have to letterbox the image on both consoles. NES and SNES are okay image wise, but Gameboy (Color/Advance) is really meh on PSP.
Also, which Vita emulators are you talking about? SNES and GBA both work better than PSP and Nintendo's consoles below that obviously work fine. Except for the Virtual Boy...
The built in PS1 emulator is the same as the one on PSP, but on Vita you can use the analog sticks and map an extra set of shoulder buttons to at least the touchscreen or backside. That's not great, but better than the PSP's options.

Deleted member 194275

Trophies
XP
I'd say neither Vita nor PSP have a good screen for retro gaming. You'll always have to letterbox the image on both consoles. NES and SNES are okay image wise, but Gameboy (Color/Advance) is really meh on PSP.
Also, which Vita emulators are you talking about? SNES and GBA both work better than PSP and Nintendo's consoles below that obviously work fine. Except for the Virtual Boy...
The built in PS1 emulator is the same as the one on PSP, but on Vita you can use the analog sticks and map an extra set of shoulder buttons to at least the touchscreen or backside. That's not great, but better than the PSP's options.
I was not talking about emulation on PS Vita, I was talking about the screen of PS Vita that is the same of this Anbernic handheld. The screen have a resolution that is not ideal.

derthomas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this a good device to start with? I just want to play some snes or psx games, nothing fancy. Since there are so many handhelds I didnt know what to pick.

Deleted member 194275

Trophies
XP
Is this a good device to start with? I just want to play some snes or psx games, nothing fancy. Since there are so many handhelds I didnt know what to pick.
I like the RG353P for those consoles because of its shape (the overall shape is similar to snes controller, the buttons placement is just like the on we find on playstation controllers).

Miyoo Mini is great too, way cheaper, way smaller. It will not run DS, witch for me was a deal-breaker, but if you don't care about DS, it is a nice pick.

LunarRXA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The RG351P or Retroid Pocket 2+ would be my suggestions. You really don't need to spend $120+ if all you're interested in is PS1 emulation and lower. The RG505 + Retroid Pocket 3+ are more designed with things like Dreamcast, PSP, and some Gamecube & PS2 (if you're willing to tinker with settings on a game-by-game basis).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol