Hacking Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, that is correct. Like I said, there are literally no tablets that run GNU/Linux. It's a huge issue! And it's a driver issue, not a "distro" issue, device manufacturers (i.e. basically just Qualcomm, since they essentially have a monopoly) want to keep their platforms closed for as long as they possibly can. They only provide closed-source Android drivers, no Linux ones.

The only thing that comes close to something that runs GNU/Linux is the Nokia N900. Current efforts are the Neo900 and the Librem 5, but who knows if they will ever see the light of day.

Like, if someone manages to successfully port GNU/Linux to the Nintendo Switch it could change everything. It would send ripples through the entire software and hardware industry. Since in this theoretical scenario we've already done the Herculean task of reverse engineering drivers and bootloaders and whatnot, GNU/Linux is just so, so, so much better of a target.

Like, the difference is "dual boot the switch OS with Android" vs "dual boot the switch OS with another OS that has never been on a tablet before". GNU/Linux is really an entirely different beast from Android; if we could get it on the Switch in a significant way, there's no telling what would happen. The homeberw scene would likely go supernova.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Correction: nobody owns a Linux tablet, because none exist.
There are plenty of tablets that can run Linux. I think you're confusing Linux with the concept of FOSS.
You might have to use binary blobs for the drivers but it's still Linux even if it's not fully FOSS.
I see your point though. Binary blobs are evil and they shouldn't exist. No argument from me there.

x86/x64 tablets also exist that can run Linux. Guess that's the best you're gonna get.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

cheesylard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty of tablets that can run Linux. I think you're confusing Linux with the concept of FOSS.
You might have to use binary blobs for the drivers but it's still Linux even if it's not fully FOSS.
I see your point though. Binary blobs are evil and they shouldn't exist. No argument from me there.

x86/x64 tablets also exist that can run Linux. Guess that's the best you're gonna get.
Yea but the x86 "tablets" (I don't really see them as tablets) are a huge compromise, mainly they consume an insane amount of power....

Also I meant GNU/Linux, not Linux. Blah blah blah Richard Stallman "I'd like to interject for a moment" copypasta

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yea but the x86 "tablets" (I don't really see them as tablets) are a huge compromise, mainly they consume an insane amount of power....

Also I meant GNU/Linux, not Linux. Blah blah blah Richard Stallman "I'd like to interject for a moment" copypasta
The recent Atom/Core m3/Core m5 have gotten really power efficient now, so much that you can run them fanless without much trouble. Battery life should be decent as a result, and definitely usable.

I know what you meant, I just prefer the short-form Linux. Anyway there are plenty of ARM tablets you can run some sort of Linux distro on and that necessarily includes GNU.

cheesylard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The recent Atom/Core m3/Core m5 have gotten really power efficient now, so much that you can run them fanless without much trouble. Battery life should be decent as a result, and definitely usable.

I know what you meant, I just prefer the short-form Linux. Anyway there are plenty of ARM tablets you can run some sort of Linux distro on and that necessarily includes GNU.
Huh interesting. You know of any tablets that use that processor? Might pick one up

And yea just making sure to make the distinction between GNU/Linux and the Linux kernel, since this is an Android thread and all......

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huh interesting. You know of any tablets that use that processor? Might pick one up

And yea just making sure to make the distinction between GNU/Linux and the Linux kernel, since this is an Android thread and all......
Yeah I get that. Android is very much not GNU, although all it takes is a terminal emulator to get all the basic GNU programs.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If done correctly, switch homebrew emulators would run better than generic android emulators because they can be optimized for that specific hardware. We are already running emulators, just need the final touches for proper SD access instead of network storage for roms and saves (though going through network is a good way to keep games and saves synced across devices)

Hit me up when DraStic is on Switch.

Miss me with that DeSmume crap.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dunno, that extra layer would really probably slow things down a lot. I suppose it'd be nice to get steam running, even if it's just mobile steam games. I'd just rather think the exciting stuff will happen using the switch OS, as it's optimized, rather than a slower OS.

I have no doubt it would be less optimised and in an ideal world we would see someone go http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html but for Switch emulators, like we saw on the GBA and DS. I very much doubt that will happen again though as it is not a class leading device, money is now a thing, and it is not otherwise interesting enough. Likewise the end goal for most in emulation is "games running at full speed, saving available, minimal glitches and with proper sound", and if it does not have to pin the CPU then so much the better.
That said the switch is basically an existing tablet which does stunningly well for emulation, even with the overheads, and

For retro emulation once you get it working well there isn't a need to continue development. The game list is finite. Once they all work properly at full speed there isn't much more to really optimize and continue development. Android emulators need updates to support more devices properly (they don't immediately support all devices) and to support newer Android revisions. If they don't keep them updated they will stop working eventually. Unlike console homebrew where once its done there isn't a whole lot more that has to be done. It will pretty much just keep working on the device.

There are new mappers and special chips (see something like MSU1 on the SNES) developed from time to time. If your emulation model is basic + hacks to get specific games going on properly then you can come unstuck when someone comes along with either new homebrew or hacks a game to use another mapper/special chip/similar.

As far as different versions go if it is not controlling the hardware and can be kicked back to a VM/compatibility layer you could make it a wrapper.

as i remember on PSP scene(or any other console that have emulator having same fate) after they create a emulator 2 years later they abandon it , why because money, or mostly they have new project on another console. on android as long as it making money on playstore , they will continue it to the perfect state of emulator.
While that happened I don't know if I would attribute it to that per se; the rise of IOS and then android really did change how this all works.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you want that trash platform on Switch is beyond me really
Easier coding, massive existing library full of stuff people might like (emulators, games, web browsers, servers, media players, network communication programs... all things which went over very well in previous homebrew scenes), easier for people to monetise, more attractive for certain devs...

None of it stops devs making things "more native" or blocks other avenues.

I harbour no great illusions as far as android being a shining gem in the land of milk and honey, however I still fail to see why "if you don't like it then don't play it" is not an option and it elicits such strong feelings in people.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, that is correct. Like I said, there are literally no tablets that run GNU/Linux. It's a huge issue! And it's a driver issue, not a "distro" issue, device manufacturers (i.e. basically just Qualcomm, since they essentially have a monopoly) want to keep their platforms closed for as long as they possibly can. They only provide closed-source Android drivers, no Linux ones.

The only thing that comes close to something that runs GNU/Linux is the Nokia N900. Current efforts are the Neo900 and the Librem 5, but who knows if they will ever see the light of day.

Like, if someone manages to successfully port GNU/Linux to the Nintendo Switch it could change everything. It would send ripples through the entire software and hardware industry. Since in this theoretical scenario we've already done the Herculean task of reverse engineering drivers and bootloaders and whatnot, GNU/Linux is just so, so, so much better of a target.

Like, the difference is "dual boot the switch OS with Android" vs "dual boot the switch OS with another OS that has never been on a tablet before". GNU/Linux is really an entirely different beast from Android; if we could get it on the Switch in a significant way, there's no telling what would happen. The homeberw scene would likely go supernova.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Correction: nobody owns a Linux tablet, because none exist.
There is also this thing:

Apparently. :)

Looks like the cheap chinese tablet platform it is - but... ;)

WhyKlef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't had time to see if someone already said that but if anything, I'd like a Android version that supports the Native applications of Nvidia Proprietary Android apps, I'm talking Gamestream but more importantly, the Game Mapping software in particular. For those of you who own an Nvidia device (Portable, Tablet, TV), you know just how GOOD and RELIABLE the Game Mapping software is.

If there was Android and those apps natively, Switch would be the best Android player by a landslide which would be just as great.

Now, why would you want Android rather than getting Homebrew on Switch? Great emulator ALREADY compatible, some very good software, great streaming capabilities (better if rooted). And with the mapping at hand, games that you would never think to play with a controller would suddenly work like a charm with one, oh and last thing about mapping, that thing is SO EASY to set up, we are talking mapping a game in 1-2 minutes (or 5 seconds if one from Nvidia's online library exists).

Reactions: lordelan

JoelLouviere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Here's another way to look at it, by answering the question with another question.
Why did they port Linux to the PlayStation 4 and try so very, very hard to get Steam/SteamOS running on it?
I rest my case.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did anyone of you know about this?

That looks just awesome. I'd rather go with a Linux (like the one of Team f0f) than "just" Android tbh. :D

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This interests me. I was considering buying a nvidia shield tv as they are top notch media players and would sit as a good emulator machine also. I don't yet own a switch (still enjoying my softmodded wii u), but if the switch could run android tv, similar rom as the nvidia shield tv, which has very similar hardware, I'd buy a switch in a heartbeat.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1