Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
scr3.png

Aperture Science DS, previously known as Portal DS, is a Homebrew version of the popular Portal game series. The project has been released as part of the Neo Flash 2013 coding competition. It features most of the mechanics found in the series and a level editor inspired by Portal 2's perpetual testing initiative.

:download: Download
:arrow: Project Page
:arrow: Source

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for this! I wish I still had my DS to test this out, but I guess I'll have to use my Xperia Play with DraStic to run it.
Thanks smealum and lobo! :grog:

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for this! I wish I still had my DS to test this out, but I guess I'll have to use my Xperia Play with DraStic to run it.
Thanks smealum and lobo! :grog:
I don't believe it will work with DraStic as at least the maps folder and config.ini require an sdcard to write to. (DraStic doesn't do R4 emulation yet)

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe it will work with DraStic as at least the maps folder and config.ini require an sdcard to write to. (DraStic doesn't do R4 emulation yet)
Oh, that's a shame. I'll have to wait a little longer then lol :P .
(I still got an AK2i but have a DSi with 1.4.5 :( )

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that's a shame. I'll have to wait a little longer then lol :P .
(I still got an AK2i but have a DSi with 1.4.5 :( )
And actually, I just tested on DraStic. It does boot, but just like on my DS, crashes 1-2 seconds after the elevator door opens. It does work with desmume so it probably works with nds4droid (if you want to play it at the speed of a potato).

P

pasc

You Do realize that the Readme states that hbmenu is needed to run this cause itrequires fsnitro ?

Works on my Gbamp CF however …

it seems you can only walk around.

If you could at least use the portal gun.
It makes the "shooting" sound, but doesn't create portals.

I wish smealum would reply to this thread and clarify this.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
And actually, I just tested on DraStic. It does boot, but just like on my DS, crashes 1-2 seconds after the elevator door opens. It does work with desmume so it probably works with nds4droid (if you want to play it at the speed of a potato).

that shouldn't happen anymore since the latest update I was able to do thanks to your guru meditation report. :) download it again !

You Do realize that the Readme states that hbmenu is needed to run this cause itrequires fsnitro ?

Works on my Gbamp CF however …

it seems you can only walk around.

If you could at least use the portal gun.
It makes the "shooting" sound, but doesn't create portals.

I wish smealum would reply to this thread and clarify this.
do you mean on your DS, not on emu? it should work. try deleting config.ini if you copied it maybe...

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
P

pasc

yeah, they are still busy uploading to my Dropbox...

Downloading the latest version from your website works !
The filetrip one is still broken

Suggestion:

make R blue portals and L orange ones.

Other than that: AWESOME

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
yeah, they are still busy uploading to my Dropbox...

Downloading the latest version from your website works !
The filetrip one is still broken

Suggestion:

make R blue portals and L orange ones.

Other than that: AWESOME

ok so for filetrip I'll see what I can do.
and in your video you're trying to shoot portals on black walls which are "unportalable". :P
as for controls, you can change them yourself! take a look at the included config.ini file in the asds folder.

P

pasc

Somehow this thing should win I think.

It works so smooth that one wonders why a Portal DS was never realized.

Now for a ridiculous question:
How about custom background music support ?
Lets drop our mp3's inside a /data/apsds folder or something

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Somehow this thing should win I think.

It works so smooth that one wonders why a Portal DS was never realized.

Now for a ridiculous question:
How about custom background music support ?
Lets drop our mp3's inside a /data/apsds folder or something

unfortunately it's not that simple. basically the DS has two CPUs, a main one (arm9) and a secondary one (arm7) in DS mode. the arm7 has access to all the sound hardware and the arm9 does not, so usually only menial tasks are relegated to it, such as playing sound and such. the thing is, in portal I use it to run my physics engine ! so not only can it not really spare the cpu power to decode any kind compressed of sound format, it's actually got very, very little RAM left available (I think in this latest version it has like 4KB of ram left out of 96KB). so I can't add any kind of code to decode stuff there, and I can't very well decode it on the arm9 either because, well, it has to run the game so it's pretty taxed itself already. so essentially the only solution would be to use RAW format sounds (which is what I did for the couple SFX I threw in there), but since they're uncompressed, they take insane amounts of RAM that I just don't have right now.
so that's why there's no music of yet; I still have to think about how I might get that to work. but mp3 is pretty much out completely of the picture at this point. :P

also I just realized that I'd forgotten to switch to higher res textures before releasing.... I still have like 100KB of vram left, so I could get the doors and such to look much nicer, but I guess it's too late now.

P

pasc

About that control ini file:
I changed the bracket from [notouch_controls] to [controls] as stated, however the game still hasn't got
INPUT_R=CONTROL_SHOOTY
INPUT_R=CONTROL_SHOOTB
applied.

Saving and creating levels to the cf card seems to work fine, so dldi or something similar shouldn't be the problem.

why is that ?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
unfortunately it's not that simple. basically the DS has two CPUs, a main one (arm9) and a secondary one (arm7) in DS mode. the arm7 has access to all the sound hardware and the arm9 does not, so usually only menial tasks are relegated to it, such as playing sound and such. the thing is, in portal I use it to run my physics engine ! so not only can it not really spare the cpu power to decode any kind compressed of sound format, it's actually got very, very little RAM left available (I think in this latest version it has like 4KB of ram left out of 96KB). so I can't add any kind of code to decode stuff there, and I can't very well decode it on the arm9 either because, well, it has to run the game so it's pretty taxed itself already. so essentially the only solution would be to use RAW format sounds (which is what I did for the couple SFX I threw in there), but since they're uncompressed, they take insane amounts of RAM that I just don't have right now.
so that's why there's no music of yet; I still have to think about how I might get that to work. but mp3 is pretty much out completely of the picture at this point. :P

also I just realized that I'd forgotten to switch to higher res textures before releasing.... I still have like 100KB of vram left, so I could get the doors and such to look much nicer, but I guess it's too late now.

Great work smealum !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-