• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Apparently paddling kids is an okay school punishment in Georgia

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Corporal punishment should never go away. Because parents are too afraid to give their child a good lesson in showing respect, you get children that act like this...

and then they grow up doing this...

I don't agree with beating a child or whooping them just because you are angry with them, but children that do not have proper respect need to be taught it.

My child once went and starting kicking and spitting on her bus driver. Damn straight I took her inside the house and she got the belt across her ass for it. She never acted that way again. She still absolutely loves me, but she knows that she acted wrong and needed to be punished.

There's a very real possibility that the people in those videos were hit as children and now they lash out any way they can. You act like strippers with abusive parents aren't a dime a dozen as well. Respect and good manners can be taught without hitting/spanking. The parents who do have to resort to that are typically either ill-tempered or short-tempered, so it's not a surprise when the kids grow up and act the same.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
There's a very real possibility that the people in those videos were hit as children and now they lash out any way they can. You act like strippers with abusive parents aren't a dime a dozen as well. Respect and good manners can be taught without hitting/spanking. The parents who do have to resort to that are typically either ill-tempered or short-tempered, so it's not a surprise when the kids grow up and act the same.
I disagree. I got spanked as a kid and i dont treat people poorly now. Hell, you can even hear the woman saying in the first video that she wont hit her child.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. I got spanked as a kid and i dont treat people poorly now. Hell, you can even hear the woman saying in the first video that she wont hit her child.
That's anecdotal, though. I guarantee that spanking and hitting are some of the issues that come up most in therapy when discussing parents. It's a given that children do need boundaries, but IMO hitting/spanking represent a real lack of creativity in how you can establish those boundaries.

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know many people that were spanked, with belts and paddles, as children/teenagers who treat everyone like shit and either became druggies or domestic abusers themselves. Hell, have even seen a girl a knew from school slap her mother in the face and call her a dumb bitch.

Meanwhile I know many more people that were never spanked, treat people like they want to be treated,and their kids behave quite well because they properly discipline them.

Hell was never spanked myself and I never acted out, the worst thing I even did as a teenager was show up 5 minutes late for dinner.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gods, America is f'n backwards. I got my ass spanked by my parents as a kid when I was being a little shit, and I'm okay with that, but corporal punishment in schools, by officials... Fuck no, ESPECIALLY not as they justify it.
America's problem isn't violent media, video games or any of that junk. Our problem is, plain and simple, that we don't address our issues. We have a media circus, where people say America needs to talk about gun violence/access to weapons, mental health, the education system, all manner of things, and then NOTHING comes from it until the next wave of killings, police violence, whatever. Then the circus starts again and it all gets buried all over again, only to have the same non-starter conversations again. We have no follow-through. Either through ignorance, fear or manipulation, we fail to fix what is plainly, clearly broken.

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, as long as the parents sign off on it, it's absolutely fine in my book. It's only a max of 3 times, come on people. If you're being a little shit and disturbing on multiple occasions, you'll get a few smacks on the ass. It's called operant conditioning, and it works.

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was horrified of my elementary principal. He was known to whop ass with a yardstick. That was being phased out just as i was starting 2nd grade. Mr. Wicks= your fucked.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, as long as the parents sign off on it, it's absolutely fine in my book. It's only a max of 3 times, come on people. If you're being a little shit and disturbing on multiple occasions, you'll get a few smacks on the ass. It's called operant conditioning, and it works.
friendly reminder that there is no evidence suggesting corporeal punishment to be an effective way of raising children. In fact there is a lot of evidence to suggest it causes the problems it's supposed to correct.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27055181

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, no, the first person to try and discipline my kid like that, that isn't me will feel my hand across them. Respect for the rules and how to not be a societal nightmare to your fellow human beings starts, as always, at home. Schools have no business laying their paws on other people's kids like this. You send 'em to detention and/or suspend them. Then the PARENTS decide what happens. If that's a whuppin' at home, it's a whuppin' at home (if you do that, and FFS, be reasonable). If that's a stern talking to and having privileges stripped, that's what happens there. And if the parents want to work with the school to determine a punishment, that's fine, too. But there is ZERO fucking excuse (save for extreme circumstances) for a teacher or other official deciding to physically assault a child. Again, fuck no.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SWA81a5.gif

I always think of this one gif here when people start discussing whether some sort of physical punishment is okay or not :unsure:

Reactions: Jayro

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very nice meta-analysis, where they qualify "spanking" as "smacking, slapping, or hitting" anywhere on the body, as long as it not meant to cause harm. Truly an amazing piece. Oh, and it also excluded schools and other institutions in that analysis. It also excluded studies where spanking was combined with other types of discipline. No shit you're going to be a little screwed up if you get spanked every time you screw up, but this analysis excluded studies where it was used as a last measure. This meta-analysis has it's place, but the fact that you're using it against spanking as a whole does not make sense.

Edit: Oh, and it also excluded studies that had threats of spanking, meaning that this analysis looked at when a child did something wrong, they were immediately spanked without warning at all.

Last edited by Attacker3,
Reactions: Taleweaver

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice meta-analysis, where they qualify "spanking" as "smacking, slapping, or hitting" anywhere on the body, as long as it not meant to cause harm. Truly an amazing piece. Oh, and it also excluded schools and other institutions in that analysis. It also excluded studies where spanking was combined with other types of discipline. No shit you're going to be a little screwed up if you get spanked every time you screw up, but this analysis excluded studies where it was used as a last measure. This meta-analysis has it's place, but the fact that you're using it against spanking as a whole does not make sense.

Edit: Oh, and it also excluded studies that had threats of spanking, meaning that this analysis looked at when a child did something wrong, they were immediately spanked without warning at all.
Where on earth are you seeing that said studies were excluded? Or are those hypothetical studies that you wish existed, but don't know what the real-world outcome would be?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corporal punishment should never go away. Because parents are too afraid to give their child a good lesson in showing respect, you get children that act like this...

and then they grow up doing this...

I don't agree with beating a child or whooping them just because you are angry with them, but children that do not have proper respect need to be taught it.

My child once went and starting kicking and spitting on her bus driver. Damn straight I took her inside the house and she got the belt across her ass for it. She never acted that way again. She still absolutely loves me, but she knows that she acted wrong and needed to be punished.

Dont forget this one, guy even says he needs his ass whooped

Last edited by Joe88,

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just anecdotal, but I was spanked a couple of times as a kid, and I would say that it was 100% ineffective. My parents were reasonably good parents so I must have done something they considered very terrible to be spanked, but I have no idea what it was back then or now. I would suspect that most kids even if they are told why they are being spanked don't understand why and only recall the bad experience, not the lesson they were supposed to learn.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was very violent to other kids in elementary school and getting my ass whooped was the only solution. Same thing with my cousin LOL.

BUT if it was a teacher that spanked me instead of my parents i wouldve come at her like a spider monkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw +1