Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand:
- FW 1.0.0 - Every security measure can be bypassed at boot (with supposedly soon-to-be released exploits). So kernel-level code execution is possible and flashing a CFW is not out of the question.
- FW == 3.0.0 - Albitrary Code Execution is possible (with public method) but it's limited to user-level for now (no CFW).
- Anything else <= 4.1.0 - There are non-public ways to execute kernel-level albitrary code, but nothing public and/or reliable yet.

So it makes perfect sense to start with 1.0.0 and work from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
FW 1.0-4.1.0 are pretty much blown wide open.
Multiple people have coldboot with full exploit chains on all current firmware.
The 3 key firmwares right now are 1.0.0, 3.0.0, and 4.1.0.

1.0 is the oldest, has the most flaws, and already has the most work put into it making it the easiest to release for first. Plus why update past this, if you happen to have this?

If you missed out on 1.0, and you have 2.0-3.0.0, just update to 3.0.0 as they already have a full exploit chain for 3.0.0 already, plus public homebrew, so why not.

If you missed out on 3.0.0, update to 4.1.0, for the same reasons as above.

Giving us key firmwares, and telling us to update to the next key firmware if you missed the previous, gets everyone to a few set firmware. This reduces the number of incremental firmware that cfw and underlying exploits must be tailored to.

As to the question of why they don't just release the latest, instead of starting at the oldest. It may be that they just don't want to scrap all of the work that they put into the older firmware. Not to mention they want to keep access to already fleshed out exploits in new updates, meaning they won't burn an exploit just to release it to the public.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
@SciresM did not see anyone asking this, but can we actually play the games we own now without worrying about the saves ?
i mean would we need to format the switch in the process of installing your upcoming cfw ? (would not want to lose my save files!)

thanks!

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SciresM did not see anyone asking this, but can we actually play the games we own now without worrying about the saves ?
i mean would we need to format the switch in the process of installing your upcoming cfw ? (would not want to lose my save files!)

thanks!
Cfw won't be released any time soon bro. Why would you worry about that so early?

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Cfw won't be released any time soon bro. Why would you worry about that so early?
ey bro, but isnt atmosphere a cfw ?
and yes i know it will take alot of time!

but i just want to make sure that no formatting is needed.

and also do you think now that there are sort of some homebrew being developed (i mean it is possible now to develope and launch from the hbl) do you think there will eventually be some sort of SaveManager coming ?

or would a savemanager need CFW first?
thx.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ey bro, but isnt atmosphere a cfw ?
and yes i know it will take alot of time!

but i just want to make sure that no formatting is needed.

and also do you think now that there are sort of some homebrew being developed (i mean it is possible now to develope and launch from the hbl) do you think there will eventually be some sort of SaveManager coming ?

or would a savemanager need CFW first?
thx.
It's probably gonna be an emunand solution...like a dual boot. So your saves won't be affected. I'm sure by then kernel hax will be released so we can get deeper access into the system which will allow for us to backup saves

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
It's probably gonna be an emunand solution...like a dual boot. So your saves won't be affected. I'm sure by then kernel hax will be released so we can get deeper access into the system which will allow for us to backup saves
thx mate, i think i wont have to worry about my saves then XD

yosh, and uhh one more thing, you think it okay to go with fat32 mSD ?
still havent even formatted my 200gb.

iirc. someone told me that the 4gb+ files will automatically be split since switch has fat32 support, is that correct?

Atmosphere is a cfw, and formatting shouldn't be necessary. Saves shouldn't be touched.
awesome.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, the terms "nintendo" and "great online experience", have never been synonymous for me. I bought this device mainly as a homebrew device first, and as a mainstream on the go console second. I'm content with hacks being offline. I know that's not the best of reasons to buy a switch, but everyone has their reasons.

Reactions: isoboy

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned a couple of times in this thread and every other thread.
Not everyone cares about the switch online functionality. The benefits of a cfw outweigh the online functionality by a large margin for most people at least.
Plus, there may eventually be unban methods, like on the 3DS.

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
Based on the documentation by @SciresM (I think?) bans will be permanent this time. It's a minor trade-off for full control over your console imo tho. If I get hit by a ban I'm gonna pull a @the_randomizer for a day or two and then accept it while enjoying the offline content.

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, if you're on 3.0.1 you may as well update to 4.1.0 and get some eShop games before you settle in for the long wait.

Once you're on 4.1.0, *stay there* though.

I'm to scared to update from 3.0.1, I feel that I'll update and then the day after I'll be able to get CFW on 3.0.1 and not on 4.1.0. Isn't lower always better.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There won't be. Getting banned on the Switch is the end.

Don't pirate and don't cheat, and you won't get banned. That's been the general rule of thumb with Nintendo. If you're dumb enough to pirate and connect to their servers, where they would immediately be aware of installed apps that you don't own, then... you're an idiot.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!!