Hacking Question AutoRCM or not?

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does this applies for the Auto rcm that xecuter is going to realease in a week ????
I donr think that xecuter will realease an auto rcm that unables for a battery charge on rest mode , so why all the fuss ????

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible complications:
  1. The Switch doesn't charge quickly while attached to the computer, and there's no way to use the standard wall charger or dock on a dead Switch with AutoRCM installed. Temporarily removing AutoRCM solves this problem.
  2. In some very rare situations when the battery isn't completely dead but it's dead enough that it can't load RCM, the Switch might not trickle charge into RCM. Allowing the battery to die completely or temporarily disconnecting the battery solves this problem.
1. Why would the Switch not charge with the official charger but rather with a USB connection to a computer? Seems kinda weird to me.
2. How would you go about killing the battery completely without disconnecting it?
Does this applies for the Auto rcm that xecuter is going to realease in a week ????
I donr think that xecuter will realease an auto rcm that unables for a battery charge on rest mode , so why all the fuss ????
It does, but they're very sparse on the details of it which doesn't answer a lot of the possible scenarios that can arise due to having AutoRCM. As long as you never let the Switch fully die, you'll never encounter any of these special situations.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
The only times I've read about the Switch getting hot in a carrying case is when it's left on and not put into sleep mode.

Actually for those carrying extra joycons that are paired with the Switch be careful! It happened to me and I was lucky enough the discover the Switch heating inside the case.
What I usually do after a multiplayer session is to disconnect all paired controllers and repair my main joycons.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Why would the Switch not charge with the official charger but rather with a USB connection to a computer? Seems kinda weird to me.
It only charges with a USB connection to a computer because it was in RCM and required a payload to boot it into Horizon. If you plug a dead Switch into a wall outlet directly, it enters RCM but doesn't charge.

2. How would you go about killing the battery completely without disconnecting it?
The battery will discharge slowly over time without doing anything. Attempting to power it on repeatedly might also expedite the process.

It does, but they're very sparse on the details of it which doesn't answer a lot of the possible scenarios that can arise due to having AutoRCM. As long as you never let the Switch fully die, you'll never encounter any of these special situations.
I think I've addressed all of the possible scenarios, based on the information I have.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It only charges with a USB connection to a computer because it was in RCM and required a payload to boot it into Horizon. If you plug a dead Switch into a wall outlet directly, it enters RCM but doesn't charge.
So its charging because its 'waiting' for a payload to be sent? Is there a more technical explanation for this?

I think I've addressed all of the possible scenarios, based on the information I have.
I think I've got it. Basically, the original fear of not having it charge in RCM is not necessarily true as you can eventually trickle a charge by either trying to charge it or pushing it closer to death to increase the chances of trickling. However, relying on this trickle in RCM won't actually charge the Switch and the battery percentage shown is a lie. You must utilize the trickle to boot the Switch into Horizon to charge it properly.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So its charging because its 'waiting' for a payload to be sent? Is there a more technical explanation for this?
It's not charging until after you've sent a payload and loaded Horizon. The Switch won't charge in RCM under any circumstance. What I was saying above is that you can't use a wall charger because you can't load a payload with it. You also can't quickly switch between a computer and a wall charger unless the Switch has already charged enough to boot into the home menu. Otherwise, the switch dies/powers off when you disconnect it from the computer.

I think I've got it. Basically, the original fear of not having it charge in RCM is not necessarily true as you can eventually trickle a charge by either trying to charge it or pushing it closer to death to increase the chances of trickling. However, relying on this trickle in RCM won't actually charge the Switch and the battery percentage shown is a lie. You must utilize the trickle to boot the Switch into Horizon to charge it properly.
That's correct.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was the explanation I was looking for.
If you have a dead Switch with AutoRCM installed, and you want to charge it quickly using a wall outlet or a dock, you have two options:
  1. Boot into RCM and remove AutoRCM using a payload.
  2. Boot into RCM and load Horizon using a payload. Let the Switch charge to about 1% so it can load the home menu, which will go very slowly using a computer. Once the home menu loads, you can quickly switch to a wall charger or dock.

WolfThatGoesMoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a dead Switch with AutoRCM installed, and you want to charge it quickly using a wall outlet or a dock, you have two options:
  2. Boot into RCM and load Horizon using a payload. Let the Switch charge to about 1% so it can load the home menu, which will go very slowly using a computer. Once the home menu loads, you can quickly switch to a wall charger or dock.

Thank you for the clarification. I was confused with all the different posts saying different things which varies from my experiences. This helps clear things up

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have enough juice to remove AutoRCM, seems pointless to go through with option #2 because it will take a lot longer to get the Switch into a chargeable state compared to option #1. But for completeness's sake, I suppose it is possible so thanks for the clarification.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have enough juice to remove AutoRCM, seems pointless to go through with option #2 because it will take a lot longer to get the Switch into a chargeable state compared to option #1. But for completeness's sake, I suppose it is possible so thanks for the clarification.
I agree completely.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with all that said above, is it worth using AutoRCM? I never let my devices die completely so I don't see it being an issue. I charge my things after I've had a full session with it.

Question, can the switch ever be powered off entirely or does it always have to stay in RCM when you power it off and there's no way to avoid that?
Also how quick does AutoRCM take to install and uninstall?

I've always been a CBHC (Coldboot haxchi) user on the Wiiu and loved it. One of the users who actually saw good use in it. It wasn't as dangerous as everyone suggested, it was easy to not screw it up. I wonder if AutoRCM is going to be that highly debatable thing as well.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with all that said above, is it worth using AutoRCM? I never let my devices die completely so I don't see it being an issue. I charge my things after I've had a full session with it.

Question, can the switch ever be powered off entirely or does it always have to stay in RCM when you power it off and there's no way to avoid that?

Basically, when AutoRCM was introduced, the first thought that hit everyone's head was that since the Switch is technically bricked and it cannot turn on to load RCM if the battery is drained, your Switch would ACTUALLY be bricked. That was disproven as there is a CHANCE this will happen since apparently, there is a trickle of a charge still going into the Switch. If it fails, you have to remove the battery (or risk draining the battery even further if you want to try trickling a charge again). However, some people mistook that as charging in RCM and thus were now charging their consoles for extended periods of time in RCM. They even provided evidence to support their claims that the Horizon battery indicator increased after spending that copious amount of time supposesly charging in RCM. Eventually, some users realized this number being displayed was not being properly tracked as one user tried to reboot their Switch after seemingly booting to 100% but it failed the subsequent boot. So while your console can accept a charge with AutoRCM installed, it is only good enough for you to either use that miniscule charge to remove AutoRCM (to allow it to charge without a corrupt bootloader) or sending a payload to boot into Horizon which can charge the device much faster.

Regardless, fully draining the battery is never a good idea, except for some Apple products. The problem is, as CTCaer explained to me, is that there may be an unknown chance that the battery will become incapable of accepting further charge if its get drained during RCM. However even fully draining the battery in Horizon is not necessarily a good idea either.

tl;dr=If you use the console with AutoRCM like a normal console in that you never let it fully drain, you're golden and don't need anymore jigs/hardmods.

Reactions: Lacius

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, when AutoRCM was introduced, the first thought that hit everyone's head was that since the Switch is technically bricked and it cannot turn on to load RCM if the battery is drained, your Switch would ACTUALLY be bricked. That was disproven as there is a CHANCE this will happen since apparently, there is a trickle of a charge still going into the Switch. If it fails, you have to remove the battery (or risk draining the battery even further if you want to try trickling a charge again). However, some people mistook that as charging in RCM and thus were now charging their consoles for extended periods of time in RCM. They even provided evidence to support their claims that the Horizon battery indicator increased after spending that copious amount of time supposesly charging in RCM. Eventually, some users realized this number being displayed was not being properly tracked as one user tried to reboot their Switch after seemingly booting to 100% but it failed the subsequent boot. So while your console can accept a charge with AutoRCM installed, it is only good enough for you to either use that miniscule charge to remove AutoRCM (to allow it to charge without a corrupt bootloader) or sending a payload to boot into Horizon which can charge the device much faster.

Regardless, fully draining the battery is never a good idea, except for some Apple products. The problem is, as CTCaer explained to me, is that there may be an unknown chance that the battery will become incapable of accepting further charge if its get drained during RCM. However even fully draining the battery in Horizon is not necessarily a good idea either.

tl;dr=If you use the console with AutoRCM like a normal console in that you never let it fully drain, you're golden and don't need anymore jigs/hardmods.
Ah okay so AutoRCM seems to be my kind of thing since I never once let my 3DS or even my Wiiu gamepad completely die (though the gamepad dies on its own even while its off)
One question still remains. Does RCM only occur when you first turn on your system. Or does the system have to remain in RCM forever even if you fully powered off the system or put it in sleep mode? Because if that were the case, it would be easier for the system to die while its not in use since it still consumes battery, just very slowly and cannot accept a charge in RCM. Or am I misunderstanding the concept behind AutoRCM here?

Turn off system > Completely off and not consuming battery > Power on and it triggers RCM automatically
Or
Turn off system > System remains on RCM forever and consumes battery slowly

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until Atmosphere is released, it's probably not worth using AutoRCM unless you're launching RCM payloads on a regular basis.

That being said, a person using AutoRCM should take care to do the following:
  1. Don't leave the system in RCM, because that will drain the battery. If you want to power off the system completely, do so from Horizon or from a payload like Hekate. Better yet, just keep your system in sleep mode if possible.
  2. If you want to charge your system, you should boot into Horizon to do so.
  3. If your battery dies, you need to boot into RCM and then load Horizon from something like Hekate in order to charge the system.
  4. If you want to use a wall charger or a dock to charge your system, you need to already be in Horizon, or you need to remove AutoRCM.

Your Switch can be powered off, even with AutoRCM installed. The problem is you can't visually tell the difference between off and RCM, so you should power off the system from Horizon or from Hekate if you want to turn it off.

It takes a second.

I've always been a CBHC (Coldboot haxchi) user on the Wiiu and loved it. One of the users who actually saw good use in it. It wasn't as dangerous as everyone suggested, it was easy to not screw it up. I wonder if AutoRCM is going to be that highly debatable thing as well.
AutoRCM will forever be debated, since it's tethered and since it causes potential battery issues. It's up to each user to decide what's best for him or her.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lacius Great explanation, much appreciated. So basically it can only be charged while Horizon is running or when in sleep mode. In that case I don't see any point of using AutoRCM at all. When you can just put the switch in sleep mode without AutoRCM and achieve the same thing. As in, if I have to force myself to use sleep mode in order to charge when not playing, I might as well do that under normal circumstances. I plan on using SX-OS and AutoRCM interested me, but it seems to be limited in the way you can charge the system. For dock users it wouldn't be a problem since you can put it to sleep and the battery would never be used, so you can always keep it on sleep mode while docked.
In my case I plan on focusing on handheld, and if I'm using SX-OS I might as well keep it in sleep mode to keep SX-OS active rather than use AutoRCM.
AutoRCM just won't benefit me at all if I'm putting the system to sleep anyways, for the sake of being able to charge. I'm sure that once you have the AC adapter inserted, it's then running off wallpower rather than battery. Like how laptops work when you plug them in.

Let me know what you think of this. Am I observing this correctly?

Last edited by MattKimura,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MattKimura I see nothing wrong with the information in your post. You've listed perfectly good reasons not to use AutoRCM. As I said earlier, it's up to each user to decide which is better for him or her.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Has there been a tech analysis of what is left powered when in sleep mode? Obviously the ram, maybe the cpu in low power state... usb ports maybe? - I'd just be interested to know how much power it actually uses. I found that the 3DS (for whatever reason) used to drain a fair bit in sleep mode, not excessively but more than enough.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been a tech analysis of what is left powered when in sleep mode? Obviously the ram, maybe the cpu in low power state... usb ports maybe? - I'd just be interested to know how much power it actually uses. I found that the 3DS (for whatever reason) used to drain a fair bit in sleep mode, not excessively but more than enough.
According to a video I saw on youtube, 3 hours drained 2%. While 24 hours drained 8% while in sleep. I heard someone mention that only the RAM is powered during sleep. Its amazing how fast it goes to sleep and recovers from it. I plan on using sleep all the time, but putting it to charge while I'm at it. I just hate how I can't see when it's done without turning it back on. which is as fast as a phone

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    +1
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    bruh
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys how do i delete a post
    you don't
    you can report it and request deletion
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ea play raised priced to $6 a month lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Same with uremum, she's now $2 a month
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also seizures come and and go they don't have an off switch like that it all depends
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Also seizures come and and go they don't have an off switch like that it all depends