Hacking Question AutoRCM or not?

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Ok just to be clear, i thought AutoRCM doesnt allow charging at all, not even with sleep mode, so if i activate AutoRCM and boot into Hekate CFW option, i just cant charge my Switch? Not even docked, sleep mode, etc.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok just to be clear, i thought AutoRCM doesnt allow charging at all, not even with sleep mode, so if i activate AutoRCM and boot into Hekate CFW option, i just cant charge my Switch? Not even docked, sleep mode, etc.
AutoRCM permits charging at all times. The confusion arose when users were claiming the Switch could charge in RCM. Surprisingly, the Switch CAN charge in RCM but only if the BCT is intact aka if you don't have AutoRCM installed. Installing AutoRCM reduces the charge rate during RCM to the point that it is wasting battery. The only situation where it will charge is when the battery is completely drained however it won't accumulate any more charge than just being able to boot up. So if you're going to charge your Switch with AutoRCM installed, do it outside of RCM.

Reactions: alexj9626

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
AutoRCM permits charging at all times. The confusion arose when users were claiming the Switch could charge in RCM. Surprisingly, the Switch CAN charge in RCM but only if the BCT is intact aka if you don't have AutoRCM installed. Installing AutoRCM reduces the charge rate during RCM to the point that it is wasting battery. The only situation where it will charge is when the battery is completely drained however it won't accumulate any more charge than just being able to boot up. So if you're going to charge your Switch with AutoRCM installed, do it outside of RCM.

Ok thats what i didnt get. So i can activate AutoRCM, boot Hekate CFW option and just use my Switch as usual. Only problem would be during RCM, but i dont see why would anybody stay on RCM for more than like, 5 seconds. Is just for booting the payloads, right? Unless im missing something.

Thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thats what i didnt get. So i can activate AutoRCM, boot Hekate CFW option and just use my Switch as usual. Only problem would be during RCM, but i dont see why would anybody stay on RCM for more than like, 5 seconds. Is just for booting the payloads, right? Unless im missing something.

Thanks!
Yes, you can even do this if your Switch has its battery drained completely with AutoRCM installed. Keep in mind though there is a chance that the Switch may not accept a charge in that case. There is so far only one confirmed case of this out of the numerous people who have claimed to have brought their Switch back to life so do whatever you want with those statistics.

I don't think people want to spend more time in RCM than necessary. Its actually been proven because of this confusion that because Horizon doesn't track the battery properly during RCM that the battery is being de-synced every time it boots into RCM. Of course, since most people were spending 5 seconds or less in it, the effect is barely noticeable if at all. The false claim that certain users perpetuated was that since you could trickle a charge in RCM with AutoRCM installed after the Switch's battery hit 0 that you could technically charge the Switch while it stayed in RCM without booting into a CFW/Horizon. This was finally debunked as the charge rate is nowhere near ample enough to reach levels that can actually accumulate, but its enough for the Switch to turn back on.

So for anyone who says the Switch can or can't charge in RCM, it depends on whether or not they have AutoRCM installed. Without it, it can but with it, it cannot.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
According to a video I saw on youtube, 3 hours drained 2%. While 24 hours drained 8% while in sleep. I heard someone mention that only the RAM is powered during sleep. Its amazing how fast it goes to sleep and recovers from it. I plan on using sleep all the time, but putting it to charge while I'm at it. I just hate how I can't see when it's done without turning it back on. which is as fast as a phone

That's interesting... given those percentages you'd have suspected it was only the ram. However if it resumes quickly, it would suggest the cpu is throttling in low power mode, maybe just enough to keep things ticking. It's a shame Digital Foundry haven't tested it.

Reactions: MattKimura

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Its actually been proven because of this confusion that because Horizon doesn't track the battery properly during RCM that the battery is being de-synced every time it boots into RCM. Of course, since most people were spending 5 seconds or less in it, the effect is barely noticeable if at all.
I don't know where this is proven, but without running Linux once and no autoRCM,
and with more than 300 hours spent in RCM, horizon os still shows the correct percent for me.
Drops normally and does not stay to a certain percent more than other and always goes to forced sleep in 1%.

That's interesting... given those percentages you'd have suspected it was only the ram. However if it resumes quickly, it would suggest the cpu is throttling in low power mode, maybe just enough to keep things ticking. It's a shame Digital Foundry haven't tested it.
The cpu is not in low power mode. The cores are completely shut off.
Only thing working is ram in low power 0 (lp0) mode.
When it's time to wake up, the BPMP processor turns on, gets the saved BPMP state and switches the cpu on and the ram to higher speed/power state.

Reactions: valrond

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where this is proven, but without running Linux once and no autoRCM,
and with more than 300 hours spent in RCM, horizon os still shows the correct percent for me.
Drops normally and does not stay to a certain percent more than other and always goes to forced sleep in 1%.
Lacius did a thought experiment where he charged the Switch to 100%, let it drain to 50%, let the Switch charge for a whole day in RCM without booting into Hekate/Horizon, and the Switch battery subsequently displayed 100% afterwards. My guess is that if you leave and enter Horizon with the same percentage compared to RCM, it won't be thrown off.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Lacius did a thought experiment where he charged the Switch to 100%, let it drain to 50%, let the Switch charge for a whole day in RCM without booting into Hekate/Horizon, and the Switch battery subsequently displayed 100% afterwards. My guess is that if you leave and enter Horizon with the same percentage compared to RCM, it won't be thrown off.
But I never leave horizon with 100%. And I get in horizon almost always with 100% or higher than before.
But my calibration is intact. That means that percentage vs voltage mapping hasn't changed for me.
So horizon still thinks that 3.2v is 0% and not 25 or 30 or whatever

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I never leave horizon with 100%. And I get in horizon almost always with 100% or higher than before.
But my calibration is intact. That means that percentage vs voltage mapping hasn't changed for me.
So horizon still thinks that 3.2v is 0% and not 25 or 30 or whatever
I forgot to mention that Lacius used AutoRCM and I know you do not have it installed so it might be an AutoRCM exclusive de-sync

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I forgot to mention that Lacius used AutoRCM and I know you do not have it installed so it might be an AutoRCM exclusive de-sync
Probably because in my case the charger IC can work correctly and inform the calibration file.
I'll add this assumption to my other post.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country

The cpu is not in low power mode. The cores are completely shut off.
Only thing working is ram in low power 0 (lp0) mode.
When it's time to wake up, the BPMP processor turns on, gets the saved BPMP state and switches the cpu on and the ram to higher speed/power state.

Fascinating, thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking in terms of PC (hibernate) as I'm a PC guy, so it's interesting to discover the way in which the Tegra architecture works. I also guess that given this revelation, it will use a minuscule amount of power to keep the ram charged. This will in turn save on wear and tear of the CPU. And here was me waiting on Kate Tempkin's exploit. I am of 2 minds now whether to just go with the TX dongle.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
..I was thinking in terms of PC (hibernate) as I'm a PC guy, so it's interesting to discover the way in which the Tegra architecture works. I also guess that given this revelation, it will use a minuscule amount of power to keep the ram charged...
Hmm,

"Modern" Desktop CPUs, do the same actually, in their lowest low power mode.
Any CPU with a co-processor or power management IC does this. (So the more than 2 decades I think)

I mean desktop PCs, they just need to keep a "wake" interrupt port on and then the motherboard can wake them.

And yeah, RAM uses just enough to keep the electrons stay put, in this mode.

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm,

"Modern" Desktop CPUs, do the same actually, in their lowest low power mode.
Any CPU with a co-processor or power management IC does this. (So the more than 2 decades I think)

I mean desktop PCs, they just need to keep a "wake" interrupt port on and then the motherboard can wake them.

And yeah, RAM uses just enough to keep the electrons stay put, in this mode.

Yeah, you are indeed right, forgive my gibberish, it's late where I am, my brain is entering sleep mode which is something else entirely!

Reactions: CTCaer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1