AYANEO officially launches the Pocket S, its next-generation Android gaming handheld

AYANEO Pocket S.jpg

Earlier this year, AYANEO revealed details of its next Android-based gaming handheld, the AYANEO Pocket S. However, the actual launch of the device was unknown; that is until today. The company has officially made the device available for purchase via an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign. Caution is advised with such campaigns but AYANEO has steadily held its end of the bargain for its previous devices, which have all been crowdfunded.

Features of the AYANEO Pocket S include the Qualcomm Snapdragon G3x Gen 2 gaming platform, a large-area VC thermal plate that delivers performance of up to 15W, a 6000mAh battery, a 6" 1440P ultra-retina IPS borderless mirror screen and a CNC full-metal mid-frame. More specs details can be found below:

AYANEO Pocket S Highlights.jpg

As for the device's pricing, it will depend on the model, with the 1440p display model starting at $439 on Indiegogo and the 1080p display model starting at $399 on Indiegogo. Additional pricing details, based on individual models and storage capacity, can be found below:

AYANEO Pocket S 1440P Prices.jpg AYANEO Pocket S 1080p Prices.jpg
At the time of writing, the Indiegogo campaign for the AYANEO Pocket S has already exceeded its funding goals and backers can expect to receive their unit in June.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
These aren't just gimped phones with controls slapped on, guys...there's active cooling, performance tuning, GPU drivers...and this guy can hold 15W, so now if Microsoft gets their sh!t together, it's ready for Windows on ARM as well.
That's a big "if," though. Android and ARM both feel very limiting as far as gaming goes, to the extent that any mid-range or better phone manufactured within the last four years can pretty much do all the same things. With detachable controllers they're also more portable, which makes devices like these feel even more redundant/overpriced. It's not hard to understand why people would consider Steam Deck the better value when it's both less expensive and has much wider compatibility with games.

Reactions: PotatoStatic

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, for being GBATEMP, there are a lot of silly takes in here.
This is a dedicated portable gaming device, and an EXTREMELY powerful one for the price and size.

I have an a Steam Deck and an AYN Odin2 Pro, and believe me when I say that outside of OG Xbox and Wii U emulation(not ported to Android) and obviously pc games, I will pick the Odin2 10/10 for literally everything else. It's light, feels great in the hands and has an absurd battery life...all reasons why the Steam Deck stays docked most of the time in my home. Also all reasons why it's perfect for travel. It has replaced my CFW Switch for travel as well. It can do PS2 fullspeed @4K, Metroid Prime Remastered fullspeed... and this AyaNeo is gonna be like 40% more powerful than the Odin2, which is pretty wild considering Odin2 is only 6 months old.

These aren't just gimped phones with controls slapped on, guys...there's active cooling, performance tuning, GPU drivers...and this guy can hold 15W, so now if Microsoft gets their sh!t together, it's ready for Windows on ARM as well. These guys are punching WAAAAY above their weight here, and it's amazing if you get into portables.
Part of me kinda wants to see pcsx2 and xemu ported to this.

I like the part of the 50 minute long presentation where they show off emulator apps loaded on the home screen. :P

Reactions: Quore

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nice hardware, but for double the price of the RP4 and $100 more than the Odin 2, it's tough to justify.

Until Android get's ps3 or xbox emulation, it's stuck at doing the same things as the competition.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, a steamdeck will be cheaper but its also so bulky, it barely qualifies as a portable system anymore.

this is going to blow most of the smartphones in a grip controller out of the water, if it gets just a little bit of driver support and its still cheaper than dedicated gaming phones. that said, those do double as smartphones so there's that.

honestly, the only thing i find questionable is the form factor. its not very pocket friendly and at this point, you might as well add grip supporting bumps to the back to get a 'better than a switch' haptic. with the shoulder buttons being stacked and sticking out anyways, you might as well have that thickness over a bigger area to make playing more comfortable.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that shit is so f*cking sleek. That slab of glass is such a work of art 😁. I'm so tempted to buy one, but knowing me, it will remain untouched for a while since there's only so much time in the day where I get a chance to tinker and test out new electronics I receive.

Reactions: genf

zniel0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. there is no modern phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio for gaming. Period.

2. There no controller attachment on this planet that is as comfortable, light weight, smaller than any device with a built in controller on a device.

3. there is no modern gaming phone that allows you to choose to storage in microsd card along with allowing full access to the root of android folder to mod your emu paths.

4. there is no modern phone that allows you to map/overlay "built in" non bt/usb external controller to the screen seamlessly without the use of 3rd party apps.

5. there is no modern phone without annoying camera bumps and uneven weight distribution with clapped on controller that let you execute precession movies in ryth/ft games for hours.

Hence any device with a built in controller running android purely meant for gaming with these qualities is a win. the Odin/pocket/gpd xd/much i5/snail w3d or whatever trash names they got.

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
NGL, this design is beautiful af. Ingeneral it (looks like) is a really good device, but to be fair.... it is so much powerfull that, at least to me, it doesnt make sense to be Android.

Hear me out, what would youdo with a powerfull Android device like this, other then emulation and cheap-to-free android gaming?
i think they should've use an LInux for this, because I believe this G3X Gen2 could run PS2 by Linux better then an Android, because both lastest version of AetherSX and NetherSX still strugle to run a majority of its games, but if it was an Linux, it could run much more.

Even if you come with "but they release tons of products and wouldnt offer support for much time" you're right, but the same situation will apply for Android, because I'm bet high that they gonna release another one next year.
At least on Linux, it could at least create a kinda "good size" community to build a better Linux and then support it for a longer time.
Post automatically merged:

Part of me kinda wants to see pcsx2 and xemu ported to this.

To be honest, I cant see Xemu coming to android for at least an Decade (in best scenario, where Xemu gets tons of updates and optimizations)
Because of that, looking for an PC emulator coming for Android, I bet that Cemu would come first.... but stil... we're talking about years

Last edited by Quore,

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, for being GBATEMP, there are a lot of silly takes in here.
This is a dedicated portable gaming device, and an EXTREMELY powerful one for the price and size.

I have an a Steam Deck and an AYN Odin2 Pro, and believe me when I say that outside of OG Xbox and Wii U emulation(not ported to Android) and obviously pc games, I will pick the Odin2 10/10 for literally everything else. It's light, feels great in the hands and has an absurd battery life...all reasons why the Steam Deck stays docked most of the time in my home. Also all reasons why it's perfect for travel. It has replaced my CFW Switch for travel as well. It can do PS2 fullspeed @4K, Metroid Prime Remastered fullspeed... and this AyaNeo is gonna be like 40% more powerful than the Odin2, which is pretty wild considering Odin2 is only 6 months old.

These aren't just gimped phones with controls slapped on, guys...there's active cooling, performance tuning, GPU drivers...and this guy can hold 15W, so now if Microsoft gets their sh!t together, it's ready for Windows on ARM as well. These guys are punching WAAAAY above their weight here, and it's amazing if you get into portables.
LMFAO! No, just no. If you want to game on Android just buy a phone & controller. Stop supporting mediocre companies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe the Steam Deck might just be the only way that I'll get used to Linux lol.
Would highly recommend the Steam Deck. My Steam Deck has replaced literally everything else, minus my Macbook for video editing and school work.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Would highly recommend the Steam Deck. My Steam Deck has replaced literally everything else, minus my Macbook for video editing and school work.

I'm good with what I have, but how would a steam deck be a causl gaming replacement I'd Windows can't be replaced on there to destroy detain part of the decks features?

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Looks beautiful and all, hardware is great but... Android games are gacha, all 2d except a few, freemium games, older ports of some games, moonlight/(insert alternative) streaming and emulation. For this price I buy a deck and play all of this except the cash grab stuff mentioned and the integrated controller is unmatched to even some standalone

Reactions: Bladexdsl

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a big "if," though. Android and ARM both feel very limiting as far as gaming goes, to the extent that any mid-range or better phone manufactured within the last four years can pretty much do all the same things. With detachable controllers they're also more portable, which makes devices like these feel even more redundant/overpriced. It's not hard to understand why people would consider Steam Deck the better value when it's both less expensive and has much wider compatibility with games.
Again, you're not getting ANYWHERE near the same performance, sustained nor peak, let alone battery life like that just with thermals alone with a phone. Also, who wants to have to devote their phone to that? Have you used a Steam Deck? It's heavy af, and demands holding it in your lap and looking down at itfor longer than like, 44 seconds of use, haha. This is smaller than a Switch Lite, and has a battery that lasts longer than both of those devices combined x2. For emulation, which is 90% of why this device exists, unlike Steam Deck, this and devices like the Odin 2 are a no-brainer.
But hey, if people want to play throttled, hitchy, improperly displayed games with flimsy controller add-ons whilst getting text messages, good for them. Nobody has to buy these devices. I also have a Razer Kishi for an Android phone...and it's not really even a comparable experience. I love my Steam Deck, but I don't really walk around the house with it, you know? The battery life gives it a pretty short leash, so it just ends up staying docked most of the time.
LMFAO! No, just no. If you want to game on Android just buy a phone & controller. Stop supporting mediocre companies.
Wow. You make such a compelling argument. Thank you so much for the thought provocation and insight. How DARE these guys offer us dedicated video game devices? SHAME ON THEM!
1. there is no modern phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio for gaming. Period.

2. There no controller attachment on this planet that is as comfortable, light weight, smaller than any device with a built in controller on a device.

3. there is no modern gaming phone that allows you to choose to storage in microsd card along with allowing full access to the root of android folder to mod your emu paths.

4. there is no modern phone that allows you to map/overlay "built in" non bt/usb external controller to the screen seamlessly without the use of 3rd party apps.

5. there is no modern phone without annoying camera bumps and uneven weight distribution with clapped on controller that let you execute precession movies in ryth/ft games for hours.

Hence any device with a built in controller running android purely meant for gaming with these qualities is a win. the Odin/pocket/gpd xd/much i5/snail w3d or whatever trash names they got.
This guy gets it.

Reactions: Cortador

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Again, you're not getting ANYWHERE near the same performance, sustained nor peak, let alone battery life like that just with thermals alone with a phone.
Depends on what you're emulating. A phone will perform just fine and have plenty of battery life for PSP and older games.

Also, who wants to have to devote their phone to that?
That's exactly why a phone will win out for pocket space 95% of the time over this type of device, it doesn't HAVE to be dedicated solely to playing games.

Have you used a Steam Deck? It's heavy af, and demands holding it in your lap and looking down at itfor longer than like, 44 seconds of use, haha.
Definitely not an issue for someone my size, smaller devices tend to cause me finger cramping. Steam Deck OLED seems to have an even better weight balance too, looking forward to that upgrade.

This is smaller than a Switch Lite, and has a battery that lasts longer than both of those devices combined x2. For emulation, which is 90% of why this device exists, unlike Steam Deck, this and devices like the Odin 2 are a no-brainer.
The fact that it costs roughly six times as much as a used Switch Lite would understandably give a lot of potential buyers pause.

I love my Steam Deck, but I don't really walk around the house with it, you know? The battery life gives it a pretty short leash, so it just ends up staying docked most of the time.
It's perfect for downtime at a desk job where tethering it to an outlet isn't an issue. Of course, sometimes you just wanna play retro or indie games too, at which point it's easy to extend the battery life to 6+ hours.

Don't get me wrong, the Pocket S definitely looks slick enough to attract a niche audience, but there are enough of these dedicated emulation devices being churned out on a constant basis now that they rarely retain their value for more than a year or two. Would be the type of thing I'd happily buy from eBay for around $200. Just for killing a couple hours at a time, though? A Miyoo Mini Plus or Anbernic RG35xx Plus will do the trick, for $70 or less. Or even a used DS Lite, for that matter.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that’s what Trump has been doing with selling his sneakers and bibles. So why shouldn’t an Asian company too?
What's the point of making everything a/b politics when it had nothing to do w/ this topic in the first place. Proof that TDS is real 🙄😒🤦🏽‍♂🤷🏽‍♂

Last edited by urbanman2004,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
market is oversaturated. ill sit.
also im not buying anything chinese ever again. i had bad experiences with their costumer service and policies...
if you live somewhere where its easy to return, fix or replace youre screwed.

Maybe the Steam Deck might just be the only way that I'll get used to Linux lol.
thats how i got used to linux.

What's the point of making everything a/b politics when it had nothing to do w/ this topic in the first place. Proof that TDS is real 🙄😒🤦🏽‍♂🤷🏽‍♂
th/s is t/e, i agr/e w/ y/!

yeah, a steamdeck will be cheaper but its also so bulky, it barely qualifies as a portable system anymore.

this is going to blow most of the smartphones in a grip controller out of the water, if it gets just a little bit of driver support and its still cheaper than dedicated gaming phones. that said, those do double as smartphones so there's that.

honestly, the only thing i find questionable is the form factor. its not very pocket friendly and at this point, you might as well add grip supporting bumps to the back to get a 'better than a switch' haptic. with the shoulder buttons being stacked and sticking out anyways, you might as well have that thickness over a bigger area to make playing more comfortable.
nothing is portable today except GBA SP. Not even original GBA is portable enough, unless you have baggy pockets.

Looks beautiful and all, hardware is great but... Android games are gacha, all 2d except a few, freemium games, older ports of some games, moonlight/(insert alternative) streaming and emulation. For this price I buy a deck and play all of this except the cash grab stuff mentioned and the integrated controller is unmatched to even some standalone
emulation. emulation. and more emulation.
but windows/linux is better for it so...steam deck i guess.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the GPD Win 4 is the closest you’ll get to a good pocket friendly system. I think it’s not too far off Vita size. It is a bit thicker and much heavier though, so best to wear suspenders if you do plan to pocket it lol
you could always get a fanny paack...

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How retarded are you? Aya neo is a quality brand. I’ve bought and used every handheld they have produced. All work perfect
Considering they release a new product every two weeks, you're either very rich or very broke (now). Lol. I will say they're a hell of a lot better than GPD. But that's not saying much. Their support is mediocre at best. Always this gem too:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I knew that scientist was up to no good....