• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Baby found dead in garbage; 18-year-old arrested

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can make so many darkhumor jokes right now... anyway it's terrible, really terrible. But how stigmatized it is in some states with proper sexed, I'm not really surprised that it ended like this.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The moral here is: If you don't want to risk it, close your god damned legs. Or better yet? Swallow...

The only extenuating circumstance that would even remotely be viable? Rape. Even then? She is still the one who CHOSE this path. She needs help. Still a wreckless and selfish move.
Yeah and maybe if any adult in the entire state would've told her about birth control or the Plan B pill or any of the modern options for sexual health then this never would've happened. Instead they probably said, "Jesus says not to do the no-no things" and left it at that.

Hey! I take offense to that!
It is what it is, the entire country is pretty far down the list of worldwide rankings on education. :D

In addendum, after High School matters more than everything up to then. A lot of what is taught by the big textbook makers (Rand McNally, etc) is a whitewashed, milquetoast viewpoint on things anyway.

Last edited by Xzi,

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snipperysnipp-

To play devil's advocate a bit, she's 18 and certainly didn't have the knowledge base to make an informed decision on what to do once pregnant. This is also Alabama, so teen pregnancy is likely highly stigmatized and abstinence-only education is probably what's taught in schools. There are a lot of contributing factors when something like this happens, the blame isn't isolated to one person.
JESUS CHRIST NO

The age of 18 is already an adult and well-developed brain to make the decision "hey maybe I shouldn't have sex with that boy and murder the living human inside me". Hell at age 12 I could've told you that. There is clearly something wrong in this girl's head. It's pretty revolting to just birth a baby, bag it up or some such, throw it in a garbage bin, and go to straight to class.

God there is so much involved with child birth I don't understand how some people can toss out a baby and keep walking around. Some women can't walk for days after giving birth.

Last edited by Issac, , Reason: Snipped reply to off-topic stuff

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the most part I am of the "this counts as world news?" persuasion here. It is here though so I will play.

Re fathers.
Given age of consent in Alabama (I assume this is where it all went down) is 16 then unless they were aware of the birth and resulting actions I fail to see where they would come in here. On the other hand if the prosecutor and/or judge wants to... heavily suggest that they witness the resulting court proceedings (assuming there are any and it is not pled out beforehand) I would be OK with that.

Age of consent and age of criminal responsibility both would appear to be passed here so there is also that. On the other hand I don't doubt the woman in question was in a horrible frame of mind following all this and "run away" is sadly all too common a default. I don't know the precise situation on the ground in Alabama for this sort of thing but know enough to know (though for the most part if place = bible belt then such facilities are not so hot) it is not a shining beacon of support and options. Hopefully that is not also reflected in the resulting psychological assessment and care provided. While I don't argue that a measure of responsibility rests with the mother I do also see a massive failure of the system that is hard to ignore in this.

"hey maybe I shouldn't have sex with that boy and murder the living human inside me"
That's not even a simplification of events there. Also the second part of that phrase is typically and widely used in condemnation of abortion (and there are issues with that vis a vis what counts as a human) which is a different discussion again. Whether you intended that or not I do not know but it is a known phrase and thus I mention it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To play devil's advocate a bit, she's 18 and certainly didn't have the knowledge base to make an informed decision on what to do once pregnant.
That makes no sense. At 18 you definitely should know what to do when pregnant. Go see a doctor, tell your parents, tell a teacher. Any of those would've worked. If she didn't know to do one of those things it's not because of her age. It's cause she's an idiot.

You're right that there are circumstances surrounding this that are also to blame, but she's definitely the person that's ultimately guilty. Abstinence only is an idiotic practice though. As is this whole anti abortion anti contraceptives pro religion bullshit in rural america.

Reactions: Kioku

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NO LOGICAL PERSON WOULD DO THAT. If she REALLY didn't want to have this baby? I could only imagine what her other options are.

Nobody is saying she acted logically, but then people rarely do no matter how much they like to think they do. Put anyone under the right kind of pressure and logical thinking is no longer something you could do if you tried & she might have not had much to go on in the first place.

I think she's got enough problems of her own, without the world trying to heap more on to her.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Crazy people actually spend $50 on that stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.