Being very overweight.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also genetics.
I can't disagree, to an extent. Certain genetic qualities can make it easier for a person to store fat, harder for them to burn calories, or both. I have to stick to my factual point, though. There is no way for mass to increase from just nothing. That's true for all forms of life.

It would likely be harder for someone of, say, 100% Samoan descent to lose weight than someone who was 100% Chinese. But never impossible. I am an optimist. I want to believe that anyone can do anything that they TRULY want.

If the WANT TO is strong enough, the HOW TO will come. I think that's a good way to look at life.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't disagree, to an extent. Certain genetic qualities can make it easier for a person to store fat, harder for them to burn calories, or both. I have to stick to my factual point, though. There is no way for mass to increase from just nothing. That's true for all forms of life.

It would likely be harder for someone of, say, 100% Samoan descent to lose weight than someone who was 100% Chinese. But never impossible. I am an optimist. I want to believe that anyone can do anything that they TRULY want.

If the WANT TO is strong enough, the HOW TO will come. I think that's a good way to look at life.
And how much do you weigh?

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never topped 180 in my life.

I am Eastern Jew? I think there is a lot of Polish in my ancestry. Some Czech and some Irish. I don't think much of my ancestry runs to obesity. I might have a slight advantage. But I run a lot and only eat two meals a day. I try to stay consciously healthy. I even take my multivitamins.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,
Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never topped 180 in my life.

I am Eastern Jew? I think there is a lot of Polish in my ancestry. Some Czech and some Irish. I don't think much of my ancestry runs to obesity. I might have a slight advantage. But I run a lot and only eat two meals a day. I try to stay consciously healthy. I even take my multivitamins.
And your height?

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6 feet even. 178 pounds. Pushing 40 years old.

I punish myself with a take on Saitama's regimen. 100 pushups and 200 sit-ups per day. No squats. Half a mile to a mile jog every day before work. One hard boiled egg and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

I never eat lunch. Naps are more important. For dinner, it's usually either a quick fast food value menu meal, or something like chicken and cheddar wraps, a massive overloaded baked potato with way too much bacon and butter, or a kind of charcuterie mix of just deli lunch meats, cheese and pita, or hummus with Chili Cheese Fritos (TRY IT, TRUST ME).

I'm not super healthy, but I try to even it all out. I snack on watermelon and beef jerky instead of ice cream and candy.

Eat what makes you feel good. Don't eat TO feel good.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
How 'bout eating "what makes you feel good", well, to make you "feel good"? :huh:

i mean i was thinking about this quote.

hips.jpg

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gained a lot, and I mean a lot, of weight. And unfortunately, it's not so much due to being on medical leave so much as the situation with my wife. Her behavior for the past six months has been extreme, and I've used food abuse to reel in my anger, frustration and utter loss of spiritual hope (for lack of knowing how to accurately articulate the feeling). Some days I am extremely thankful to the Father for the blessings I am given. But other times I just feel ruined. I'm now about 50lbs overweight. I've been here before when our kids were young, and the stress was also particularly heavy, but that's not to say I ever wanted to come back to this situation.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I've gained a lot, and I mean a lot, of weight. And unfortunately, it's not so much due to being on medical leave so much as the situation with my wife. Her behavior for the past six months has been extreme, and I've used food abuse to reel in my anger, frustration and utter loss of spiritual hope (for lack of knowing how to accurately articulate the feeling). Some days I am extremely thankful to the Father for the blessings I am given. But other times I just feel ruined. I'm now about 50lbs overweight. I've been here before when our kids were young, and the stress was also particularly heavy, but that's not to say I ever wanted to come back to this situation.

I hope the best for you, my bro. <3

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Being fat is extremely unhealthy.
I'd say I'm pretty fat atm (not obese or "american fat" but still way too fat). Ever since I started an office job around 4 years ago bit by bit I got worse, then came Covid and well, the gym I had signed up for closed. It didn't help that my grandmother was hospitalised by the end of 2021, and then passed away in January, I craved junk food due to stress.

I have a tendency to put on weight from my paternal family (don't know my maternal side so can't speak about them). In the past I used to walk and move a lot but nowadays I just sit down for like 10h a day. At lunch I usually just take sandwiches which doesn't help (during summer I always take salads).

I have now rejoined a gym and slowly and I am losing some weight bit by bit (I'm not doing diets, just being more active and exercising, and drinking lots of water).

It's very easy to put on weight, and very hard to lose that weight. I believe that if people have a healthier lifestyle, they can eat whatever they want, the problem is that a lot of people do not want to become healthier the hard way.
It saddens me when people talk about fat acceptance because it is not a good thing to be fat, if you can't help it, due to a health condition, sure, but influencing tons of people and kids by saying that it's alright to be fat? It's not.

Being fat has become too normal, and that is not a good thing.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Being fat is extremely unhealthy.
I'd say I'm pretty fat atm (not obese or "american fat" but still way too fat). Ever since I started an office job around 4 years ago bit by bit I got worse, then came Covid and well, the gym I had signed up for closed. It didn't help that my grandmother was hospitalised by the end of 2021, and then passed away in January, I craved junk food due to stress.

I have a tendency to put on weight from my paternal family (don't know my maternal side so can't speak about them). In the past I used to walk and move a lot but nowadays I just sit down for like 10h a day. At lunch I usually just take sandwiches which doesn't help (during summer I always take salads).

I have now rejoined a gym and slowly and I am losing some weight bit by bit (I'm not doing diets, just being more active and exercising, and drinking lots of water).

It's very easy to put on weight, and very hard to lose that weight. I believe that if people have a healthier lifestyle, they can eat whatever they want, the problem is that a lot of people do not want to become healthier the hard way.
It saddens me when people talk about fat acceptance because it is not a good thing to be fat, if you can't help it, due to a health condition, sure, but influencing tons of people and kids by saying that it's alright to be fat? It's not.

Amazing post. Well said on normalization of being overweight in society. It's easy getting overweight, but it's not okay for people to get overweight and wear this as a medal. I am thinking of a youtuber.....

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Amazing post. Well said on normalization of being overweight in society. It's easy getting overweight, but it's not okay for people to get overweight and wear this as a medal. I am thinking of a youtuber.....

Losing weight is hard and requires a lot of will. Ignoring the problem is easier, especially if no one can judge you or they'll be called fatphobic (didn't even know this was a thing before).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_stigma_of_obesity

I mean, I don't agree with fat shaming if it's something people can't help themselves, for example, fat shaming at a gym (it happens) is stupid because people are there actively trying to change one step at a time.

While contradictory, I do believe that a bit of "shame" is a good thing though, being ashamed of being fat can be a reason to change, well, it is in my case (and the health benefits of losing weight of course). People can look better AND be healthier.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Losing weight is hard and requires a lot of will. Ignoring the problem is easier, especially if no one can judge you or they'll be called fatphobic (didn't even know this was a thing before).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_stigma_of_obesity

I mean, I don't agree with fat shaming if it's something people can't help themselves, for example, fat shaming at a gym (it happens) is stupid because people are there actively trying to change one step at a time.

While contradictory, I do believe that a bit of "shame" is a good thing though, being ashamed of being fat can be a reason to change, well, it is in my case (and the health benefits of losing weight of course). People can look better AND be healthier.

On the "shame" aspect it depends on the person who you're shaming, tho, matters. I mean, if It's somebody who is an active and put some weight on. You go to them something like "you put on some weight these days, maybe put the doritos away fatty" that person might go to the gym again or maybe go on a diet or something.

If it's somebody who is struggling with weight and body image, "you put on some weight these days, maybe put the doritos away fatty" they might think something like they already fat and why they're calling me fatty. Which can make them eat more unhealthy food, which makes them feel good for that moment. Even if it was like the smallest comment.

I think if you get fat shamed at the gym by someone, that person might have way too much of steroids, and it's cut the supply of blood to the brain.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
On the "shame" aspect it depends on the person who you're shaming, tho, matters. I mean, if It's somebody who is an active and put some weight on. You go to them something like "you put on some weight these days, maybe put the doritos away fatty" that person might go to the gym again or maybe go on a diet or something.

If it's somebody who is struggling with weight and body image, "you put on some weight these days, maybe put the doritos away fatty" they might think something like they already fat and why they're calling me fatty. Which can make them eat more unhealthy food, which makes them feel good for that moment. Even if it was like the smallest comment.

I think if you get fat shamed at the gym by someone, that person might have way too much of steroids, and it's cut the supply of blood to the brain.

I mean, as long as it's a positive nod and not bullying, I'd say it's good, especially to remind people that they need to change.
I've been noticing this a lot lately, nowadays if a parent or grandparent comments on the weight of the son or grandson, they're vilified, when in these cases they're genuinely concerned. That and the rising percentage of child obesity which is very, very, serious and dangerous.

Reactions: Flame

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I believe that if people have a healthier lifestyle, they can eat whatever they want, the problem is that a lot of people do not want to become healthier the hard way.

"Fat acceptance" isn't about telling people it's fine to be fat. It's just not being prejudiced against someone overweight if you know nothing about them.

We automatically associate being overweight with being a lazy slob, and see obesity as primarily a moral failure or character flaw. When it today's world it's easier than ever to gain overweight and harder to lose weight due to a number of factors that simply didn't exist before.

Being overweight carries a stigma that in a lot of cases is not deserved, and on the other hand mocking and shaming a fat person won't make them any more motivated to lose weight, but support will.

And overweight people are well aware of their weight and everything associated with it, they don't need to be reminded, and comments like "it's not healthy, you really should take care of yourself, you should watch what you eat, try working out", while well intentioned, are just rubbing it in and having an opposite effect.

Don't fall for the ragebait trolls with their "healthy at any size" or "anything you say is fat-shaming and fat-phobic", they just want attention.
And don't fall into the "all overweight people are lazy spoiled slobs with no discipline / I lost and/or never gained weight and therefore it's easy" way of thinking either. It's tempting to think that way, but ultimately it's self-congratulatory wank.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"Fat acceptance" isn't about telling people it's fine to be fat. It's just not being prejudiced against someone overweight if you know nothing about them.

We automatically associate being overweight with being a lazy slob, and see obesity as primarily a moral failure or character flaw. When it today's world it's easier than ever to gain overweight and harder to lose weight due to a number of factors that simply didn't exist before.

Being overweight carries a stigma that in a lot of cases is not deserved, and on the other hand mocking and shaming a fat person won't make them any more motivated to lose weight, but support will.

And overweight people are well aware of their weight and everything associated with it, they don't need to be reminded, and comments like "it's not healthy, you really should take care of yourself, you should watch what you eat, try working out", while well intentioned, are just rubbing it in and having an opposite effect.

Don't fall for the ragebait trolls with their "healthy at any size" or "anything you say is fat-shaming and fat-phobic", they just want attention.
And don't fall into the "all overweight people are lazy spoiled slobs with no discipline / I lost and/or never gained weight and therefore it's easy" way of thinking either. It's tempting to think that way, but ultimately it's self-congratulatory wank.

I don't judge people based on their weight for no reason, but if someone is seriously overweight and I see them with a lot of food at a Fast Food joint, I probably will. Especially when it happens with kids, it's very easy for kids to put on weight with all the sugar and grease in pretty much everything and a lot of parents keep on enabling those things.

It's easy to put on weight but that doesn't mean that people should not look out for themselves. I've seen a lot of people, and know a few, that just gave up. They start out too harshly with just eating salads or eating less, eventually they give up and start eating even more than before. When I asked a colleague how his diet was going, he just lashed out at me, when he was the one originally adamant about sharing his diet plans.

People have become too complacent and accepting imho.

Reactions: Flame

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Especially when it happens with kids, it's very easy for kids to put on weight with all the sugar and grease in pretty much everything and a lot of parents keep on enabling those things.
This is a good example actually. It's not the kids' fault, they learn eating and dietary habits from their parents - kids don't cook or prepare meals or count calories or make schedules - and if they get fat it's not the kids' fault, it's their parents. And it makes no sense to criticize the kid for something out of their control, when we should smack such parents upside the head for bad/lazy parenting instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I questioned a snickers bar having 42 on it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I questioned a snickers bar having 42 on it