~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
But wouldn't "party fighter" just be a subcategory of "fighter"? Thus placing SSBM within the boundaries needed to be on the list of the best fighting games? : D

Hm, perhaps so. I suppose it depends on how specific the list in question was trying to be. I for one wouldn't list a strategy-RPG or action/adventure-RPG if I was making a "Top 10 RPGs" list.

engruzii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
well that list missing SNK fighting games which imo the best company in 2D fighting games i mean come on there is: KOF, Fatal Fury, Art Of fighting, neogeo battle coliseum & more & more how can they ignore those games.

oh & i forgot there is KOF: maximum impact (1, 2 & regulation A) which i really like tho it has it flaws but still i like the way they made it, it feels like a 3D fighting game with a 2D spirit.

SNK ftw
biggrin.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Marvel VS Capcom 2 being on the list... but there's other, better ones than those listed, like Soul Calibur 3 (I like it way better than the past ones), Street Fighter Zero 2, Melty Blood Act Cadenza, etc...

Soul Calibur is a GREAT game.

But I call it "Button Mash" heaven.

Hey Urza, that fighting game looks awesome. What is it anyways? I skipped towards the middle to see the combos, it's pretty nice.

~Nero

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
take out ssbm as that's hardly what I'd call a proper fighting game. it has 0 depth

0 depth? I'd say it has a pretty deep mechanics. Just because it's different then usual fighters doesn't mean it has 0 depth.

take in consideration Jump Ultimate Stars. That game is very much like SSBM but at the same time there's a huge strategy involved. Some of the online players are amazing, and win by skill

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd personally take out DOA 4, as I understand it's popularity but it has one of the worst engines of all the fighters listed. It gets so centered around launching, since that's the only way to get assured damage. (Of course most 3D fighters focus on launching, DOA makes it the only real way to get the upper hand since everything else can be parried mid combo.)

I've replace Killer Instinct with KoF98, I mean that game even still has tournaments for it internationally, it really deserves a spot up there.

I would have probably opted for Soul Calibur 2, over the first one, the third game has too many bugs to be worth adding to the list.

While Marvel vs Capcom 2 still has a huge community in the U.S. scene, it's not really as popular as many of the other games on the list worldwide. I'd keep it on there, but I'd certainly bump it down a few pegs.

Super Smash Bros I'd take off the list, and not because I think it's shallow. I just don't think it fits in cleanly into such a list, every other game is analogous of each other, you could take a still of all their screens and identify the fact they are all setup in similar manners. Super Smash Bros could get a mention, but I'd still say it was a different beast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol