Intimidator88

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok so last night i upgraded from a 42 inch plamsic tv to a 55 inch LED tv and my tv channels have never looked better! but theres 1 problem..... I went to play gears of war 3 online which im pretty good at (2.4 k/d ratio) and it was very hard to play! Like the game itself looked so much better but all the fast pacedness of the game and aiming was making me bad to the point where i could almost not play.

So is it the size thats throwing me off so bad where i have to move my eyes more and just have to get used too it or is it something else i mean cause at this point in time i cant play on there and expect to win.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with ivobhz you should probably move away from the screen, and since you went from a plasma to an lcd the responsive time and motion blur should be worse.

4-leaf-clover

SHSL LUCKSTER :/
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
most led TVs have a 1 sec lag when playing games
You'll notice alot in games like cod or gears
or let's just say fast paced games

Dunno if this is your problem...
or maybe your just not used to play on that kind of screen..

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Some TVs have a 'game' mode, when in this mode the TV will do less processing of the image (so may result in slight quality drop) but will process it alot faster - may solve some of your issues if available on your set.

There's also getting used to a new size screen, when I go from my laptop (17") to my TV (32") I need some time to readjust things like fine aiming etc.

Reactions: 1 person

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
well, if u say u have to move your eyes more, maybe u should try to stay farther from the TV?

This.

Your whole calibration have been thrown off. You need some time to re-calibrate to the increased size.

You'll notice alot in games like cod or gears
or let's just say fast paced games

Dunno if this is your problem...
or maybe your just not used to play on that kind of screen..
That a bit much don't you think?

I guess the refresh rate does help if it's higher.

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well sometimes its the size too?
Since I changed from a small tv to a larger one,
I have noticed its a lot harder for me to get a decent score on Halo lately.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
This happens to me when I change Computer Screens. I think it's just because you have a bigger picture to look at and your used to a smaller sized screen. Give it a week and you'll probably get used to it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re the refresh thing others covered it but there is a difference

Refresh is how often a picture gets redrawn and the latency associated with this can have an effect if you are playing really high level stuff or it goes beyond about 50ms (there is a fair bit of debate here as to how much it does trouble things and much of it reminiscent of audiophiles) so some strive for lower here (this is kind of related to why we have 29.97 fps video vs the considerably easier to work with number of 30fps). This in simple terms is the time it takes from signal entering the "draw this" hardware and it appearing on the screen.

What a lot of digital TVs do on top of this is hold back all video and audio for a couple of seconds so as to allow them to do extra post processing (upscaling, sharpening, deinterlacing, colour correction....)- the hardware requirements to do this in real time are very steep (CRTs have physics on their side remember so changing such things could be done with a voltage change) but the hardware requirements to do this if you can give it a couple of seconds are considerably less.
You still have the frames being refreshed every so many milliseconds and the latency associated with that but it will also be shifted so many seconds into the future by the post processing stuff. This does not matter when it comes to the average TV watching or film watching session but this second or three means a lot in the game (ever joined a network game where the ping was 400ms- unplayable no (and most modern network games have a measure of ping mitigation by way of movement prediction)? now consider 1000ms aka 1 second or more) hence the "game mode" option. Some TVs can tell and do jump to this automatically depending on the input method (VGA being more likely to do this) or via EDID (if using HDMI) but not all do hence you maybe having to fiddle in a menu.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just give your eyes time to adjust and you should be fine. In the meantime, you might want to move back a bit from the tv; that might help.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
that doesnt sound right

I think you mean 5ms refresh rate

This is actually somewhat true... Many HD tvs have image enhancing filters applied to them, which takes a while to process and isn't noticeable in movies.. however, when playing, it is!
That's the 1 second lag, image enhancer... However, those tv's most often have something called "gaming mode" in the menus... look for it, it will speed things up ;)

Source: My own tv

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
that doesnt sound right

I think you mean 5ms refresh rate

This is actually somewhat true... Many HD tvs have image enhancing filters applied to them, which takes a while to process and isn't noticeable in movies.. however, when playing, it is!
That's the 1 second lag, image enhancer... However, those tv's most often have something called "gaming mode" in the menus... look for it, it will speed things up ;)

Source: My own tv
It still doesn't sound right...

You guys are underestimating how long is 1sec. It's pretty damn long, when it comes to lag/refresh rate.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2753MH-LED-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B004KCI80I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1318290585&sr=8-5

This monitor is epic. After researching for several hours, this is the one I chose.

• 27" Widescreen LED monitor
  • 1920x1080p Full HD resolution
  • Up to 40% energy saving with LED backlight, 30,000,000:1 MEGA Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • 2xHDMI and VGA inputs, Ultra-Thin Design
  • External Power Supply, SRS Premium Sound
  • 1MS Response Time

I have no complaints about this monitor.. not sure why it has a bad rating on Amazon.

alex_0706

darknessblade
Trophies
Website
nolink.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
waht hz is it
(50/60hz) higher
ps how higher it is how better for your eyes
and try a wall mount (saves a whoule lot of room)
if you are going to byou a hdmi find the cheapest you can find in the size you want
reason the expensive ones have maby one pixel line better screen
the hdmi cables are al digital so there is no signal loss
there goes the rumor more expensive hdmi = better
no this isnt true

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.