Hacking Bounty for porting Dolphin to UWP

D

Deleted-351540

yea i knew this was dead before it was announced because no one knows how to code or port anything to the xbox one
To be honest though, most of this is the fault of Microsoft. I've been looking into it for other reasons and they don't make it easy at all. The documentation is either non-existent or scattered over so many different websites that it is impossible to get anywhere with it. It probably doesn't help that I have little to no coding knowledge other than some Visual Basic projects many years ago. (Back in the XP days.)

It basically goes like this: Learn one thing for UWP and it references 4 other things you need to know. Hunt down one part of the required knowledge and that references 3 other things you need to know, so to fully understand the first part of the original, you're now miles away from the other three things and your brains hurt. Come back to it a few days later and Microsoft changed the domain and you cannot find the page you originally saw. Get frustrated and quit.

Reactions: Darksabre72

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest though, most of this is the fault of Microsoft. I've been looking into it for other reasons and they don't make it easy at all. The documentation is either non-existent or scattered over so many different websites that it is impossible to get anywhere with it. It probably doesn't help that I have little to no coding knowledge other than some Visual Basic projects many years ago. (Back in the XP days.)

It basically goes like this: Learn one thing for UWP and it references 4 other things you need to know. Hunt down one part of the required knowledge and that references 3 other things you need to know, so to fully understand the first part of the original, you're now miles away from the other three things and your brains hurt. Come back to it a few days later and Microsoft changed the domain and you cannot find the page you originally saw. Get frustrated and quit.
man either they're confusing themselves or they are really keeping modders away

D

Deleted-351540

man either they're confusing themselves or they are really keeping modders away
No, they have internal documentation so I'm certain it's easier for them. Likewise, developers are given an SDK with proper documentation so it's easier for them as well.

Microsoft hasn't ever been known for making it easy for users to find documentation and this hasn't changed with UWP. It's all available, just not nicely packaged together. I've gotten into the habit of saving the webpage for offline use so I can easily find it later when I need to reference it.

Not that I intend to port Dolphin. That's beyond the scope of my knowledge. But for what I'd like to do, some UWP knowledge would certainly help.

Reactions: Darksabre72

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they have internal documentation so I'm certain it's easier for them. Likewise, developers are given an SDK with proper documentation so it's easier for them as well.

Microsoft hasn't ever been known for making it easy for users to find documentation and this hasn't changed with UWP. It's all available, just not nicely packaged together. I've gotten into the habit of saving the webpage for offline use so I can easily find it later when I need to reference it.

Not that I intend to port Dolphin. That's beyond the scope of my knowledge. But for what I'd like to do, some UWP knowledge would certainly help.
so my guess is that you have to really wait until the end of the console life for a modder to give out an sdk, talk to a person who can share some documentation of the skd, or really search it up on the web so good luck on finding the info you need.

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There might not be available documentation for Xbox One UWP. But is there more for Windows 10 UWP? We could make a Windows 10 UWP version then later when we have documentation, we can port that to the Xbox One.

D

Deleted-351540

There might not be available documentation for Xbox One UWP. But is there more for Windows 10 UWP? We could make a Windows 10 UWP version then later when we have documentation, we can port that to the Xbox One.
Theoretically, they're the same. That's why it's called "Universal Windows Platform".

And no, Win10 UWP documentation isn't any better.

D

Deleted-351540

or at-least when people start to get interested in xbox again
I'm pretty convinced that this won't happen for a few reasons.

First: Anyone who has looked at the Xbox understands how much Microsoft checks on this console. It's insane the amount of data gets sent back to them. If you modchip it, they'll know. Mess with system files, they'll know. ODDE? They'll know.

Second: Developer mode. It's not great, but Microsoft understood that people are going to try and modify their console. So to stave off anyone from doing such a thing, they gave us a way to run unsigned code. Again, not great but it did help the Xbox from getting blasted wide open like the Xbox 360 or even the PS4.

Third: Updates. Any known exploit gets patched pretty quickly. The same team exploit hunting for Windows 10 is also doing it for Xbox, as they share the same kernel. Not to say that a Windows 10 exploit can be used on an Xbox, but it is patched across both systems. It also doesn't help that the system basically requires you to be online to be operational.

Last: Filesystem structure. The Xbox uses a structure of emulated drives for everything. It makes it extremely difficult to work with. They're heavily encrypted not only with a master key, but also a console specific key. Again making it extremely hard to do anything.

So yeah. I don't see any team getting very far with the Xbox. And if they did/have, they'll be damn quiet about it for fear of becoming the next geohot.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty convinced that this won't happen for a few reasons.

First: Anyone who has looked at the Xbox understands how much Microsoft checks on this console. It's insane the amount of data gets sent back to them. If you modchip it, they'll know. Mess with system files, they'll know. ODDE? They'll know.

Second: Developer mode. It's not great, but Microsoft understood that people are going to try and modify their console. So to stave off anyone from doing such a thing, they gave us a way to run unsigned code. Again, not great but it did help the Xbox from getting blasted wide open like the Xbox 360 or even the PS4.

Third: Updates. Any known exploit gets patched pretty quickly. The same team exploit hunting for Windows 10 is also doing it for Xbox, as they share the same kernel. Not to say that a Windows 10 exploit can be used on an Xbox, but it is patched across both systems. It also doesn't help that the system basically requires you to be online to be operational.

Last: Filesystem structure. The Xbox uses a structure of emulated drives for everything. It makes it extremely difficult to work with. They're heavily encrypted not only with a master key, but also a console specific key. Again making it extremely hard to do anything.

So yeah. I don't see any team getting very far with the Xbox. And if they did/have, they'll be damn quiet about it for fear of becoming the next geohot.
You think Microsoft would not like emulation on their console?i mean it is supposed to replace your PC after all

D

Deleted-351540

You think Microsoft would not like emulation on their console?i mean it is supposed to replace your PC after all
I know they don't. There have been a couple emulators in the Xbox app store that have been removed. They even announced that emulators are banned from the store. (That doesn't mean people aren't getting them on there still, though. There's a few still.)

spyro88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just now watched this
Its amazing if happend
Now is problem only mony or is whit development?
If it only mony I will what they want to make it quickly @wiired24

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know about dev , so no , but I mean the team who was dev dolphin port to xbox one stopped job , if the reason mony I can help them if they ready to job .
i wouldnt get your hopes up about dolphin wiired24 has a habbit of getting peoples hopes up and then not delivering

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O