Homebrew can wup installer gx brick?

nerdlevel1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using wup installer gx to download a lot of forwarders, injected vc games and the like and remembered that there is some risk to downloading things to system nand on an original Wii and was wondering if there's any risk using wup installer gx to install to system nand?

(considering the wii u has no brick protection I know of)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not likely. the worst is installing the original system config tool. it won't brick your system like a lot of people believe, but the system will think it's a system app, so it won't be deletable.

Reactions: JAB03
D

Deleted User

I've been using wup installer gx to download a lot of forwarders, injected vc games and the like and remembered that there is some risk to downloading things to system nand on an original Wii and was wondering if there's any risk using wup installer gx to install to system nand?

(considering the wii u has no brick protection I know of)

If the Nand-memory fails while writing to it or if the write itself doesn´t get ended successfully (e.g. this can happen when you get a power out exactly while writing to it!) then your nand will be permanently damaged.

And yes. This can lead to a non-booting WiiU hovever it depends on which title was written to and how many blocks will be damaged. And you may not be able to recover it. So it´s a full-brick. So if too many blocks are affected, the WiiU will no longer boot and instead simply show the Nand damaged"-warning at start and refuse booting!

So far i heard that people got bricked WiiUs with Smash Bros U (many years ago). It also can happen when you play Splatoon very often and this game saves many times/day. When you have the game stored on the nand, you may damage your nand easily with this game when you play it too often and your Nand is not having much free space!

But Zelda Breath of the Wild also can kill WiiUs, by damaging it´s nand. This happens when the Game Botw crashes (in certain situations) and when it stores in such a situation (you know, it has an auto-save function each few minutes) and it crashes in the same second!
Boom. Your WiiU will be damaged as well.

As written above: When it´s just a few blocks, you will simply no longer be able to delete this title. But if too many blocks are affected, the WiiU`s OS will detect this and start refusing booting!

JAB03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
If the Nand-memory fails while writing to it or if the write itself doesn´t get ended successfully (e.g. this can happen when you get a power out exactly while writing to it!) then your nand will be permanently damaged.

And yes. This can lead to a non-booting WiiU hovever it depends on which title was written to and how many blocks will be damaged. And you may not be able to recover it. So it´s a full-brick. So if too many blocks are affected, the WiiU will no longer boot and instead simply show the Nand damaged"-warning at start and refuse booting!

So far i heard that people got bricked WiiUs with Smash Bros U (many years ago). It also can happen when you play Splatoon very often and this game saves many times/day. When you have the game stored on the nand, you may damage your nand easily with this game when you play it too often and your Nand is not having much free space!

But Zelda Breath of the Wild also can kill WiiUs, by damaging it´s nand. This happens when the Game Botw crashes (in certain situations) and when it stores in such a situation (you know, it has an auto-save function each few minutes) and it crashes in the same second!
Boom. Your WiiU will be damaged as well.

As written above: When it´s just a few blocks, you will simply no longer be able to delete this title. But if too many blocks are affected, the WiiU`s OS will detect this and start refusing booting!

Hey Good morning. ( Noob Here ) I just installed splatoon from the wup installer gx2 and works really fine ( Im not interested in any dlc and stuff so I don’t really need CFW nor am I using CBHC ) I recently installed many games from the utik download helper, and I could play them really fine by installing them into de Nand. But the question is, can my system Brick by just playing those games too much????

cheers

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Good morning. ( Noob Here ) I just installed splatoon from the wup installer gx2 and works really fine ( Im not interested in any dlc and stuff so I don’t really need CFW nor am I using CBHC ) I recently installed many games from the utik download helper, and I could play them really fine by installing them into de Nand. But the question is, can my system Brick by just playing those games too much????

cheers

no. I play my wii u daily, and I haven't encountered any real problems.

Reactions: JAB03

WiiUboi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so silly question: I had installed Nintendo Land on my usb
and I don't really want it anymore

If I take out the usb will the game just not work ?
also if I delete the game off the usb will the channel disappear ?

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so silly question: I had installed Nintendo Land on my usb
and I don't really want it anymore

Just go in to system settings > data management > usb (or wherever the game is) and delete/uninstall the game from there.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
You can't even launch it when the usb (the location where you installed it) is removed. Or can you boot your windows pc without a connected hdd/ssd?

Erm...yes.

WiiUboi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok one last dumb question, If I take out the sd card, but still leave the Usb with the installed channels on there can I still play them ?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok one last dumb question, If I take out the sd card, but still leave the Usb with the installed channels on there can I still play them ?
No, because the forwarders and injects you created aren't signed by Nintendo, so they require sigpatches. For sigpatches you need a cfw, which in case of aroma or tiramisu would be read from SD. With haxchi it might work without SD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one