Hardware can you use ANY kind of SSD with the ps3?

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
so any brand & any kind of 120gb SSD drives that are 2.5inches big will fit into the ps3 console's hardrive slot right? (Slim or Super Slim Model)

i know the ps3 only supports SATA1 HDDs, but SATA3 SSDs should still work with the console right? or do i have to get a SATA1 SSD?

thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by blueagent004,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a SATA SSD will indeed help, especially with texture pop-in being far less noticeably. But in tests I've seen, an SSHD (hybrid drive) offered the best performance, most notably in RAGE and Skyrim.

Reactions: blueagent004

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
an SSHD (hybrid drive) offered the best performance, most notably in RAGE and Skyrim.
In what way did the SSHD perform better? That shouldn't really be afaik, unless you mean because you could have cheaper storage but still get a load time boost.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
In what way did the SSHD perform better? That shouldn't really be afaik, unless you mean because you could have cheaper storage but still get a load time boost.
It's mostly faster at texture caching. Load times are about on par with an SSD.

BasedIndex

splendid
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Russia
Someone will have to step in about this but I'm pretty sure OFW doesn't have trim. In theory performance would get worse after some use.
sshd trims built in 8gb flash chips on it's own so that's an option. Some say 2.5' sshds are the worst of both worlds. It's really just a 5400rpm drive with 8gb ssd and 128(?)mb dram cache. Honestly I'd just get a beefy 7200rpm drive.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Someone will have to step in about this but I'm pretty sure OFW doesn't have trim. In theory performance would get worse after some use.
sshd trims built in 8gb flash chips on it's own so that's an option. Some say 2.5' sshds are the worst of both worlds. It's really just a 5400rpm drive with 8gb ssd and 128(?)mb dram cache. Honestly I'd just get a beefy 7200rpm drive.
Larger 2.5" drives seem to be difficult to find in 7200rpm versions for some reason.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a 2TB 7200drive, and it was easy to find. Anything over 2TB might be difficult, I bet though.
I was upgrading my laptop HDD a year or so back, and every single 2TB 2.5" drive I could find around here was 5400rpm. Went with a Seagate Firecuda SSHD since it was one of the cheaper ones. Not sure why they don't sell faster 2TB drives here, they must exist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740