Canonical Announces Ubuntu for Phones, Coming Soon to Galaxy Nexus

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah but who has an android pc/tv/smartphone/laptop all linked to a server or home network? your entire life can be tethered with you wherever you go. Who is to stop someone from mugging you, taking your cellphone, and accessing your files from your home computer if it's tethered to the network or if all those files are already floating around inside your web browser and the cloud? Who's to stop a guy from having ubuntu like you in an apartment complex with access to your network from tethering himself to your cellphone and leaching off your talk and data plans for his own rooted phone? The list of potentials is larger and yes mostly depend on user stupidity but it is entirely possible if ubuntu becomes popular enough for it to become the OS to hack to mess up peoples lives for their gain. having this open source is only fuel for the fire.

I know this is very "the sky is falling" mentality and it's chances of happening or not as big as I am painting it but then again I was stating the possibillity of this turning ubuntu from open source linux to something closed and independent in order to make it a profitable business and protect user data. If ubuntu becomes popular enough for my mentality to be a potential reality you know this man is gonna make ubuntu into a low cost alternative to windows/osx venture for "our protection."

Still think it's a cool idea though. Heck blackberry has been dabbling in this and hinting at it's potential uses with playbook and phone compatibility. Ubuntu has a good idea; just needs more ironing and future proofing.
Open-source is not about open doors, you run on your device whatever code you want, but none has access to it unless you give it. You can install malicious software on any OS, you are the one administering it. If a thief knocks your door, will you open for him?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The list of potentials is larger and yes mostly depend on user stupidity but it is entirely possible if ubuntu becomes popular enough for it to become the OS to hack to mess up peoples lives for their gain. having this open source is only fuel for the fire.

To add on to Rydian's post, I highly doubt everyone under the sun is going to just go and put Ubuntu on their phone. Hell, I doubt anyone but Linux freaks will even bother with it. You seem to assume as soon as this releases every person with a phone compatible will be clawing to put it on their phones.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
For Pete's sake people. This isn't Ubuntu desktop! Watch the damned video. Read Rydian's posts.

I think this looks pretty cool. If I can get a dualboot on my GNexus I'd definitely keep it there just for the cool factor. As it stands I'll definitely flash it to give it a try but Android already has such an ecosystem I think Ubuntu will take a bit to catch up. Also not sure about carrier's jumping on board with it either.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
For Pete's sake people. This isn't Ubuntu desktop! Watch the damned video. Read Rydian's posts.

I think this looks pretty cool. If I can get a dualboot on my GNexus I'd definitely keep it there just for the cool factor. As it stands I'll definitely flash it to give it a try but Android already has such an ecosystem I think Ubuntu will take a bit to catch up. Also not sure about carrier's jumping on board with it either.

I'm not saying it won't run well on phones like the GNexus, or most other high end phones, but there are still a lot of mid-range phones that will probably not be able to handle it (I'm looking at you, HTC Glacier)

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I get the feeling that the UI would quickly become cumbersome.

On another note, what happened to the old mobile ubuntu? IIRC, they were developing it for intel x86 mobile chips a few years back.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that if desktop apps can run on it with just a recompile, that'll really help interest.
I don't think that's happening. This doesn't use a GNOME window management background, it doesn't render menus etc. You need to redesign the apps for touchscreens and this new interface completely. Its like saying that my OSX app will run perfectly on iOS with a recompile.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, this will work a lot better on low end devices than android does. Android is a java virtual machine (dalvik vm) running on top of the linux kernel. By nature it's inefficient. Ubuntu Mobile will allow native code to run as it isn't running in a vm, and in theory should be faster. That been said, the required specs are pretty high, though by next year they will be pretty standard at the low end.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people seem to forget everything I said negative to this was hypothetical and based mostly on human error. yes routers have wpa2 standard but in my apartment complex right now I can access 3 out of the five wifi networks because they have not put passwords on the router. At many parties, out of boredom I have tethered my phone onto anothers because they left to go to the bathroom and they have an unlimited plan so I am able to talk for free that night (I have a cheapo 50 minutes, 50 texts plan so I tend to use my wifi to make calls or e-mail people my texts if I have access to it) I only need access of the phone for a brief moment to do this and if I was daring enough star bucks could be a very easy target for this.

Going on stealing a persons cell plan temporarilly without them knowing (I actually tell people at the party what I did at the end of the night) with that amount of time I could take an sd card out of the cellphone. also establishing a network between computers to stream media/take files/control another computer is also painfully easy if like I sad earlier in this post, the network and the computer are unprotected and in my apartment out of those 3 vulnerable networks, 1 has no admin password. Anyone with a laptop could easily screw with these people from the parking lot right beside my window.

again this is all possible because people are stupid and said stupid people buy things if they become popular enough. If ubuntu becomes popular enough for people who can't afford windows or osx and they integrate the pc to their phone and don't make efforts to protect this connection, They could be in for a world of hurt. In fact in my country we even have a tv campaign about how easy it is to loose your identity from people taking your cellphone, even for a few minutes, right now. it's a legit problem that is on the rise and can be further exacerbated by making our entire digital footprint fit in a palm sized device we take everywhere. it's a modern day wallet theft but worse.

Again I note that this negativity is purely hypothetical, and that I am actually very excited for the ubuntu phone and desktop co-mingling as well as all the positives it can bring like having access to your business from wherever you are.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I already find interesting the fact that you are not limited to Java like Android and it will probably not have the ridiculous Apple's restrictions for developing for iPhone. Even though people have obvious biases against Linux and Ubuntu, the concept of Ubuntu Phone just seems a great idea to me. Maybe if Canonical invest heavily in marketing, it could be a success! :lol:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
people seem to forget everything I said negative to this was hypothetical and based mostly on human error. yes routers have wpa2 standard but in my apartment complex right now I can access 3 out of the five wifi networks because they have not put passwords on the router. At many parties, out of boredom I have tethered my phone onto anothers because they left to go to the bathroom and they have an unlimited plan so I am able to talk for free that night (I have a cheapo 50 minutes, 50 texts plan so I tend to use my wifi to make calls or e-mail people my texts if I have access to it) I only need access of the phone for a brief moment to do this and if I was daring enough star bucks could be a very easy target for this.
And none of that has anything to do with Ubuntu.

again this is all possible because people are stupid and said stupid people buy things if they become popular enough. If ubuntu becomes popular enough for people who can't afford windows or osx and they integrate the pc to their phone and don't make efforts to protect this connection, They could be in for a world of hurt.
What does Ubuntu have to do with it? You already stated it's currently possible...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(at opening post)
Hmm...I've got to say they've got balls.

At the moment, the mobile market is lead by apple (iOS). Closely followed by google (android). Microsoft is also starting to get into things with their windows phone...

...and here we've got ubuntu going into the frey as well. Right.

Seriously? Even if all those promises come through and their handheld operating system ideas are the best thing since sliced bread, it'll be a tough sell. Off those partners (Dell, HP and a couple others) I haven't seen one that actually produces smartphones. And that is kinda a requirement for selling these things.

And as to what they've got to offer is also something I'm wondering about. What do they really have that android doesn't have?
I get the feeling the guy is genuinely excited about the things they can offer...but still I think they should aim for a niche market at best. There's currently too much of supply by companies that have way too much influence and popularity to get an opening.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And none of that has anything to do with Ubuntu.

What does Ubuntu have to do with it? You already stated it's currently possible...
Again it's potential popularity. the more people who have it, the better the potential payload from it. the PSN was easily hacked because an incentive was given after people probed at it to find out the security was paper thin and easily circumvented and it was linux based (not that linux has anything to do with my main point) People leach internet all the time from people without protected networks. in fact it's been noted that having an open network can be a plausible defence against things like downloading illegal music if a person is taken to court for it. (it doesn't work often but it indeed has) In my last post people are already stealing cell phones (sometimes only for a small amount of time) and taking personal information out of it. Also there have been scams in the past where people pretend to work for microsoft in order to get access to an unknowing persons computer saying they need to take control of the pc in order to fix a serious virus or bug that does not exist.

I get it. you don't hear about it too often; and even then it's usually scams targeting windows users but that is because windows is the most popular desktop OS and has been for a long time. e-mail scams are universal and is a popular service. Sometimes it's the end user hacking his own device to harm the developers like can be seen in modded consoles and jailbroken ios devices. if ubuntu became as popular as windows is I am sure there will be someone there trying to make a profit by illegal means at someone else's expense. it's just how the world works and just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it will never happen.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Again it's potential popularity. the more people who have it, the better the potential payload from it. the PSN was easily hacked because an incentive was given after people probed at it to find out the security was paper thin and easily circumvented and it was linux based (not that linux has anything to do with my main point) People leach internet all the time from people without protected networks. in fact it's been noted that having an open network can be a plausible defence against things like downloading illegal music if a person is taken to court for it. (it doesn't work often but it indeed has) In my last post people are already stealing cell phones (sometimes only for a small amount of time) and taking personal information out of it. Also there have been scams in the past where people pretend to work for microsoft in order to get access to an unknowing persons computer saying they need to take control of the pc in order to fix a serious virus or bug that does not exist.

I get it. you don't hear about it too often; and even then it's usually scams targeting windows users but that is because windows is the most popular desktop OS and has been for a long time. e-mail scams are universal and is a popular service. Sometimes it's the end user hacking his own device to harm the developers like can be seen in modded consoles and jailbroken ios devices. if ubuntu became as popular as windows is I am sure there will be someone there trying to make a profit by illegal means at someone else's expense. it's just how the world works and just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean it will never happen.
But Android is already more popular on mobile devices and already installed and in-use on more devices than a mobile Ubuntu will be...
So what's the damn difference? There's ALREADY an open-source Linux version on phones, ANDROID, which is MORE popular.

I mean you might as well be saying "If computers were linked up globally people could steal info!" And I'm trying to get you to realize that the internet already exists.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But Android is already more popular on mobile devices and already installed and in-use on more devices than a mobile Ubuntu will be...
So what's the damn difference? There's ALREADY an open-source Linux version on phones, ANDROID, which is MORE popular.

I mean you might as well be saying "If computers were linked up globally people could steal info!" And I'm trying to get you to realize that the internet already exists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems Windows is far more favourable an OS to exploit than any other desktop style OS. This is why linux and osx doesn't need to have a malware protector and why scams on users of said os' are practically unheard of (though it is possible and has happened in the past).

As far as cell phones are concerned you still need to be able to physically have the phone in your hands to do any real damage with it unless you use the internet in which case it is the servers of the sites you use that can store the exploit but it in no way is influenced by you using the service so much as how vulnerable and popular they are as well as what could be had from taking the information they store.

the problem I originally addressed was the fact they were going to turn the cellphone into a mini desktop and would allow you take your files and programs wherever you go if you also had ubuntu on a pc and to a lesser extent, the tv if you had media files and documents stored on it. this is marrying your entire digital footprint so you can have it wherever you go; not a case of you carrying similar products that while they can use the same files, can not interact so fully as they do not share an operating system nor can the experience be replicated no matter what device you are using. You now have a laptop that fits in the palm of you hand that can communicate freely with your device at home. The windows scam from earlier now is given a wider ranged payload that doesn't just stop at what they can get out of the desktop computer. stealing a cellphone is more than taking your identity, it's potentially stealing everything digital you have accumulated.

Again popularity needs to be a factor otherwise the actual acts in question won't be profitable enough for the effort taken. how many people call people saying they are a unix technician who needs to gain access to your pc because of a technical problem or virus that could render your computer useless as opposed to e-mails about international people who died well off and without knowing you put you in the will or need a safe person like you to hoard it until it can be used for good?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Show me a Galaxy S3 with this shit running well and I'll say I want to hear about it.
Show me a bunch of executive telling me how exited they are and I'll tell you to SHUT UP!
Let's wait for CES you'll tell me. Yeah let's wait in a week see if this is real or just dreamy mockup.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will be interesting to see if this does well. Generally, people like a two sided argument though. Mac and PC are the only kinds of computers in most peoples' minds. Android and iOS are the only mobile operating systems in most peoples' minds. I feel like one of the major downfalls of this will simply be peoples' unwillingness to accept something different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and the lightning is frequent, so my power will most likely go out