Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Loker0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Yes, but dont work. I putted in exefs_patches, in a folder named Snes online. Maybe i have to patch the roms with a config file or something?

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does work, then imagine all the potential trading of pokemon on the GBA, or transferring of saves from one GBC/A game to another (Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Golden Sun, etc).

Actually, I have looked into it more now with some help from someone else. Local Multiplayer DOES work for NSO on a modded switch, and DOES work for at least some custom games!

But as I said, there are some issues. Particularly with the "code" values. For those who dont pay close attention, with NSO a "code" is an ID for a particular game. These are assigned for all stock games, and are consistent. But for custom games with CaVE, they have always been randomly generated. Why this is important is, to properly set a game as a multiplayer game for Local Multiplayer, the code value of games deemed valid to connect to that game must be supplied. Generally this is the code value of that game itself, but in some cases can be a different game (pokemon trading?). But even then, its not that easy. You cant just add your own games code values. You have to add the code values of other peoples cave installed games, in order for them to communicate.

To lay out an example... Lets say PlayerA, and PlayerB both installed F-Zero Maximum Velocity with CaVE, and want to link up and play together. When PlayerA installed F-Zero it got randomly assigned the code value of "A-1111_e". When PlayerB installed F-Zero it got randomly assigned the code value of "A-9999_e".

PlayerA loads up the game and waits for a multiplayer connection. PlayerB loads up the game an it tries to look for anybody waiting for connections. PlayerB will not see PlayerA waiting, because to his NSO F-Zero uses the code value "A-9999_e". It sees some game using the code value of "A-1111_e", but ignores it as to it, that is not F-Zero.

This issue can be addressed in a couple different ways. First, id have to develop a system for assigning fixed code values for these 2 systems. Or if I don't, people could simply add the code value of their friends games in CaVE. In theory that sounds like a hassle. Having to go back to cave, get your code value, and enter the other players every time you want to play a new multiplayer game. But I'd imagine that generally this local multiplayer would only happen among friends. Its not like I expect 2 people to randomly meet on the street and want to play together.

But... I do have a hope of people using LAN tunneling software to play games. No idea how popular that would be, but I should make effort to make things as easy as possible for such things.

Anyway. I have added a preliminary option in CaVE for setting this up. But its still very manual.

EDIT:

I have since mulled over how to handle things, and released a new beta build for private testing. To better ensure Local Multiplayer compatibility I have changed GB/GBC/GBA games to generate code values based off the ROM header, instead of randomly.

That said... enabling a game to support Local Multiplayer is still kind of manual though. Manual as in, the user needs to type in values themselves, and know what they are doing. They need to copy and paste the code value, and in the case of GBA, supply the text of either SinglePak or Multipak, depending on the game.

do this emulator already have RTC? I believe no games on service right now need it, but for pokemon gen 2 and gen 3 is kinda required.

I checked, but found no reference to RTC support coded in. Shocked, since it is with N64 for 1 single game thats far less likely to get released than the GBA games that use it.

The SNES online only allows sfrom. files? Or can i use another extension?

No. But you can easily convert them to .sfrom with the program called "SFROM Tool", also from my website.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

Bumblecito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Try with C-3996_pd instead

Rom must be C-3996_pd.gbc and folder C-3996_pd

It replaces the german Link's Awakening
Thanks a lot, it worked!

Attachments

• IMG20230212200251.jpg
    IMG20230212200251.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 52

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I checked, but found no reference to RTC support coded in. Shocked, since it is with N64 for 1 single game thats far less likely to get released than the GBA games that use it.
That's concerning...guess we might not *officially* get Pokémon games at all now unless they patch it in later or add a workaround:(

Reactions: littleslayer15

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone share the link for the discord? I want to learn how to create the dtz. metapacks for the 64 online

You don't need the discord link for that. N64 support is in the public release build. Just follow the link in the first post to my site. There's a setup guide linked on CaVE page too.

EDIT:

Also, I may as well give an update too.

CaVE is seeming to be stable with GB/GBC and GBA NSO support, for general usage. I have mostly been working on the options for Local Multiplayer as mentioned before. Today I made some changes so that, in most cases, enabling a game to support Local Multiplayer is easy and automatic. Simply set a game to be for 2+ players, and the appropriate info is filled in for Local Multiplayer support. The exceptions are for linking 2 different games together (Pokemon trading), or MultiPak mode with GBA. With those you have to manually take extra steps.

The beta phase is winding down now. Really, I'd just like some more people to test the Local Multiplayer functionality before I release it. My hope is that people can and will use some tunneling software for enabling LAN games to play over the internet with this. That would be acceptable for testing the feature too, and then some! But I myself only know of such software. I have no experience with it. Regarding setup or what is best to use. I remember Hamachi from back in the day, but that seems to be paid software now, and it was used kind of differently than this use case I think.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
is there a way to run CaVE Database Manager 1.4.4 without an internet connection?
it's been a long time since I used the app, but I don't remember older version requires an internet in order to open CaVE Database Manager

soldiaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am kind of confused: Switch NES online has to be installed, ok, understand. How you get each rom to homescreen like here:

cant post since I am new...meant picture is in beginning of thread

iiTzSamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's russian torrent tracker. Won't be easy find it there, i am afraid.
No one likes those packs here, not even the developer of CaVE. Won’t be supported or linked. CaVE wasn’t developed to make 1 single pack of thousands of roms you’ll never play. CaVE was developed to add games here and there, and make database of games people will play

Previous News (02-14-23)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE is now updated to v1.4.5.0 and is compatible with NSO GB/GBC v1.0 and NSO GBA v1.0!

---

The beta phase is over. It's not like I expect there to not be any more issues. But testing/feedback has dried up, and I cant get anyone more to test the Local Multiplayer stuff.

This build of course brings support for the GB/GBC/GBA apps. But yes, this is the first time that a form of Multiplayer is available to modders. It's limited to your Local Wifi network though. But I figure someone can figure out how to trick the LAN mode to work over the internet. I looked into Hamachi a little myself, but got lost. It's a little outside my skill set or the time I want to invest in it.

Anyway. Most setup and usage is the same as the other apps. But here's a brief guide for enabling a game to use Local Multiplayer.

---

Guide to setting up your games to enable and support Local Multiplayer:

• Select the "Players:" option for a game, and set it to 2 or above players.

Advanced Setup for Local Multiplayer:

• By default, CaVE sets up games for Local Multiplayer with other instances of that game (and SinglePak modes only for GBA).
  • If a game can and should be able to link up with other games (Like Pokemon Red connecting to Pokemon Blue), then you need to manually supply the Code value of that other game into "Compatible Titles:", separated by a "," (comma).
  • With GBA only, if your game does not support SinglePak multiplayer mode, or does but you would like to use MultiPak mode instead, then change "Multiplayer Mode:" to MultiPak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: My throat is itching