Review CBHC vs Tiramisu

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, the homebrew launcher has always worked via mii maker. this is for those homebrew channels people have. I use the channel most of the time myself.

Trophies
XP
btw, the homebrew launcher has always worked via mii maker. this is for those homebrew channels people have. I use the channel most of the time myself.
Yeah, like I said when I quoted Mikadubz, my main reason for using the HBC is WUP Installer, as I make near daily use of it, and using it via Mii Maker HBL is noticably unstable.

Reactions: godreborn

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What really killed CBHC for me is that it makes the system not able to boot without SD card.

Meanwhile, Tiramisu handles pretty great when there's no SD card inserted.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What really killed CBHC for me is that it makes the system not able to boot without SD card.

Meanwhile, Tiramisu handles pretty great when there's no SD card inserted.
you can boot cbhc without an sd card unless you have it set up to boot into a file on the sd card. set default as sysmenu, and you won't need an sd card. ;) however, tiramisu requires an sd card for sig patches and other things. normal games will work, but not pirated or injects.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you can boot cbhc without an sd card unless you have it set up to boot into a file on the sd card. set default as sysmenu, and you won't need an sd card. ;) however, tiramisu requires an sd card for sig patches and other things. normal games will work, but not pirated or injects.
Yeah. I never understood CBHC configuration. I didn't know how to "reset it to defaults" since somehow I made something wrong and it showed me negative numbers on a black screen unless I had some files in the SD. There where no real options for fixing it to boot System Menu with sigpatches again if you misconfigured it (or at least, I never found them).

For Tiramisu, yeah. Sigpatches and whatnot don't load when there's no SD Card, but it still lets me boot up the system.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I never understood CBHC configuration. I didn't know how to "reset it to defaults" since somehow I made something wrong and it showed me negative numbers on a black screen unless I had some files in the SD. There where no real options for fixing it to boot System Menu with sigpatches again if you misconfigured it (or at least, I never found them).

For Tiramisu, yeah. Sigpatches and whatnot don't load when there's no SD Card, but it still lets me boot up the system.
iirc, you have to press home or hold it down to access the options screen in cbhc. I think it's default on the homebrew launcher, but you can change it at the bottom. I think you press A to shuffle between the different things to boot. then, just press A on system menu in the normal list. from what point forward, it will boot the system menu by default. the default setting doesn't boot anything as A is for changing what to boot by default, so you have to press A on the actual thing you want to boot, that time and that time only. hope that makes sense. ;)

Reactions: Olmectron
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Aroma is supposedly going to do away with the homebrew Chanel entirely (even over mii maker) and all your homebrew apps will instead automatically populate the Wii U menu. Honestly I've heard Maschell talk about it a few times, and I'm really not looking forward to this aspect of Aroma, as I really do prefer a lot of my homebrew apps to be hidden away in a separate loader channel, and I have a lot of titles, so the homebrew apps populating the menu may actually take me past the 300 title limit, which would suck.

I know overall Aroma will be a game changer, but this aspect of it sounds like a downgrade at least for me anyway.
All the betas so far have been modular in the way Tiramisu is, so there's a homebrew_on_menu plugin that you can just remove to disable this feature. There is still a "HBL", but it's actually just the GUI with all the loading guts ripped out (a detail relevant for compatibility) - it behaves identically to the home menu loader, so you can use that if you prefer.

I think the only issue is that the fake HBL doesn't list WUHBs, the new Aroma-specific format? unless that got fixed and I didn't notice. It's a little awkward since WUHBs have square icons :lol:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the betas so far have been modular in the way Tiramisu is, so there's a homebrew_on_menu plugin that you can just remove to disable this feature. There is still a "HBL", but it's actually just the GUI with all the loading guts ripped out (a detail relevant for compatibility) - it behaves identically to the home menu loader, so you can use that if you prefer.

I think the only issue is that the fake HBL doesn't list WUHBs, the new Aroma-specific format? unless that got fixed and I didn't notice. It's a little awkward since WUHBs have square icons :lol:
Sounds like it might work how I hope? I just want to keep all my .elf and.rpx homebrew in the homebrew loader channel, not populating the home menu. Though I understand if the new WUHB format homebrew wont be supported by the separate loader channel.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Though I understand if the new WUHB format homebrew wont be supported by the separate loader channel.
WUHB is basically just a ROMFS containing the rpx + metadata + the content folder. Aroma should have an API to mount and inspect these ROMFS files, so adding support is possible. Probably just low priority atm.

Reactions: zfreeman

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete some of those damn games. LOL! There's seriously not over 300 titles worth having on the Wii U.
People always forget how many great classic games the Wii U can run via VC and injects. Nintendo sold a mini NES with 30 built in games, when I found my favorite 30 games from each the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, and Wii U games, you already get 240 games. People act like it's an unreasonable system to have 300 games for, but when you recognize that it's at least 8 Nintendo systems in 1, then it actually is quite reasonable.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People always forget how many great classic games the Wii U can run via VC and injects. Nintendo sold a mini NES with 30 built in games, when I found my favorite 30 games from each the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, and Wii U games, you already get 240 games. People act like it's an unreasonable system to have 300 games for, but when you recognize that it's at least 8 Nintendo systems in 1, then it actually is quite reasonable.

Not when I can play those same classics on practically every other device I own. Including ones I can take with me on the go, unlike the WIi U. I guess if someone else wants to have 300 titles on their Wii U just to impress themselves with a large library of games, half of which they will never play or even look at, that's their choice.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not when I can play those same classics on practically every other device I own. Including ones I can take with me on the go, unlike the WIi U. I guess if someone else wants to have 300 titles on their Wii U just to impress themselves with a large library of games, half of which they will never play or even look at, that's their choice.
K, well I'm not you. For me, my Wii U is my all in one classic Nintendo system. Maybe try not to project your way of life onto others.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K, well I'm not you. For me, my Wii U is my all in one classic Nintendo system. Maybe try not to project your way of life onto others.

There's absolutely no reason for you to be upset. My comments are completely subjective. It's not my fault you took them as an attempt to project my way of life on someone. I wasn't trying to bash you for how you do things, or saying you are wrong, just stating a difference of opinion. Plain and simple. I have no problems with what you choose to do with your Wii U, but I am free to state my opinion about what I do with my own. I literally stated that it's a persons choice to do what they wish and you reply with "I'm not you." 🤷

Back on topic. I'm thinking of pulling my Wii U out of the closet for the second time recently to switch from CBHC to Tiramisu. Not because of anything it offers or does not offer, but just because I enjoy messing around with all of it. It teaches me something and gives me something to do. :)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's absolutely no reason for you to be upset. My comments are completely subjective. It's not my fault you took them as an attempt to project my way of life on someone. I wasn't trying to bash you for how you do things, or saying you are wrong, just stating a difference of opinion. Plain and simple. I have no problems with what you choose to do with your Wii U, but I am free to state my opinion about what I do with my own. I literally stated that it's a persons choice to do what they wish and you reply with "I'm not you." 🤷

Back on topic. I'm thinking of pulling my Wii U out of the closet for the second time recently to switch from CBHC to Tiramisu. Not because of anything it offers or does not offer, but just because I enjoy messing around with all of it. It teaches me something and gives me something to do. :)
You're mistaking me explaining why your nonsense doesn't make sense for my life as me being upset. I apologize you took it that way. My only point is that you were ignorant to think you understood my situation with the games on my system, I absolutely do get play out of all of them. And that's all that really matters here.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're mistaking me explaining why your nonsense doesn't make sense for my life as me being upset. I apologize you took it that way. My only point is that you were ignorant to think you understood my situation with the games on my system, I absolutely do get play out of all of them. And that's all that really matters here.

And you seem to have mistaken my opinions as projecting my ways onto others and as a personal attack on how you manage your Wii U. So again, 🤷. I already stated on more than one occasion that whatever you do with your console it perfectly fine. How many times do I need to say that? Regardless, I'm not saying it again and I honestly don't have anything left to say about it. If you get play out of all 300 that's awesome. Enjoy your games. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did Janet Jackson release a new song