CD Projekt Red apologizes for poor Cyberpunk performance on last-gen consoles, promises updates

EpLqtZ8XEAIEqsX.jpeg

CD Projekt Red's highly-anticipated, long-delayed Cyberpunk 2077 has finally released, but some players are finding the performance lacking on consoles. Despite receiving a last-minute delay in late October, pushing the release date from November 19 to December 10, specifically to enhance performance on Playstation 4 and Xbox One, players have been reporting issues such as reduced framerates, certain abilities not working and even game-breaking bugs. While these issues seem to exist primarily on base Playstation 4 and Xbox One, players on the enhanced consoles and even those running the backwards compatible version on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, are running into similar issues. It's worth noting that as of now, Cyberpunk is only playable through backwards compatibility on current-gen consoles, as the native PS5 and Xbox Series X|S ports are not slated for release until Q1 2021. Controversially, CD Projekt Red only gave out PC codes for reviewers prior to release, possibly to obscure the issues plaguing the console ports from those with pre-orders placed. In fact, as of this writing, only two outlets have reviewed the PS4 version on Metacritic, not even enough to generate an aggregate score.

In response, CD Projekt Red released a statement today apologizing for the performance and laying out their plan to improve performance. The first update was released for PC and consoles over the last two days (Xbox received the update a day later than PS4 and PC), and another is expected within the next seven days. There are also plans to release two large patches aimed to fix "the most prominent problems," one in January and one in February. For those unwilling to wait for the patches, CD Projekt Red is offering refunds. If purchased digitally through Playstation Network or Xbox Live, you can request a refund through those channels. (While Sony's refund policy on Playstation 4 stipulates that you can't have begun to download the game, let alone played it, in order to receive a refund, users on reddit are reporting Sony issuing refunds on Cyberpunk.) Those with physical copies are encouraged to seek a refund through the store; however, if that is not possible, they can contact [email protected] for assistance, up until December 21, long before either of the large patches are due for release. It is unclear at this time if policy exceptions on digital purchases through Playstation Network will continue past that date or not.

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Underneath all of the bugs and glitches, this game is still really good. My biggest gripe is that they still have not learned from The Witcher 3's issues.

The Witcher 3:

- Extremely Buggy Launch

- Praised Story

- Lifeless NPC's

- Unique and interesting side missions that tie into the story

- Hard to learn/Easy to master combat (at least for me)

- Subpar horse mechanics

- Easily breakable AI

Cyberpunk 2077:

- Extremely Buggy Launch

- Praised Story

- Lifeless NPC's

- Unique and interesting side missions that tie into the story

- Hard to learn/Easy to master combat

- Subpar driving mechanics

- Easily breakable AI

Reactions: raxadian

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Hard to learn" combat? Have you played a videogame before?
Both TW3 and Cyberpunk throw a bunch of mechanics in your face and expect you to understand everything. It's not bad combat, just confusing at first.

In TW3's case, the combat literally just became Quen + Dodge at midgame and beyond.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They knowingly suppressed info from coming to light, days before the game publicly released, and had the most stringent guidelines for reviews

they aren't sorry for anything they're 'sorry' there's backlash

that was so wrong,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
You know something, that's the bad thing with games and the fan base today. People and game companies fill their mouth: that this console / game is better, the fps, frame rates, the "most powerful console of the world", and all that crap, when the companies can't even make a good job launching a full, fun and top notch game at launch day?

People have forgotten that a game needs to be fun, give you hours of unforgettable moments, story and gameplay so it can stay in your mind forever; not look and boast everywhere about being the biggest hit ever or giving hype that never will be reached.

I have heard complaints of people even crying with the deception of this game. Wtf?

All of THAT is, to say the least, really sad.

Just enjoy the games you like, there are so many incredible masterpieces out there.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i got another bug...where you had to kidnapp that woman on the weird parade .....i enter an elevator to kill last sniper....before i exit the elevator i get glitched out through map..land on a balcony and get hit by that sniper out of nowhere.....:blink:...i dont get past that mission because that bug always fucks it up

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The issue isn't GPU, you likely have a much more powerful CPU than an underclocked AMD Jaguar.

But you're right, the game hasn't been coded well for last gen. Many other developers have squeezed much more out of Jaguar, so these guys have no excuse.

Firstly, no. The ps4 gpu is about a 750ti. Second, what resolution/settings are you running it at that it performs well on a 970? I have a 5700xt and I'm playing at 1080p/medium. The fps is in the 50s while driving, embarrassingly low for this card at those settings.

A GTX 970 outpaces a base PS4 though. Do you mean PS4 Pro?

For some reason in my mind, the PS4 was powerful like a 980ti, my bad.

If PS4 is really a 750ti equivalent, there is no way it going to run well without magic optimizations (like that one that make witcher 3 run on switch).

Anyway, my processor is not a big deal either, it is just a i5 6600 (without the K), it obviously not overclocked either. I have tons of RAM (32) but it is ancient DDR 3, and I have no SSD (I may be mistaken, but PS4 do not have one either, I dont know about the pro).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Only going to say this; The Witcher 3 was not great on it's release as well, and how good do we consider it to be now?
It's weird because of how well received that game was on release. With some nods towards game breaking bugs. Cyberpunk? Nah, let's throw shade at it and pretend it's the worst game ever made.

Oh, but wait... They delayed it, so it has to be perfect right? RIGHT???

The game is phenomenal. It runs like shit on consoles that shouldn't have received ports because of how weak they are in today's gaming world. Let's blame CDPR for the effort, though. How dare they try to do right by the players who BEGGED for it to still be on Gen 8 systems.

Too many people in here have unrealistic expectations, considering all that CP2077 offers in terms of technical prowess. Hell, the 3090 sees a small struggle at max settings.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: ChronoTrig and Xzi

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird because of how well received that game was on release. With some nods towards game breaking bugs. Cyberpunk? Nah, let's throw shade at it and pretend it's the worst game ever made.

Oh, but wait... They delayed it, so it has to be perfect right? RIGHT???

The game is phenomenal. It runs like shit on consoles that shouldn't have received ports because of how weak they are in today's gaming world. Let's blame CDPR for the effort, though. How dare they try to do right by the players who BEGGED for it to still be on Gen 8 systems.

Too many people in here have unrealistic expectations, considering all that CP2077 offers in terms of technical prowess. Hell, the 3090 sees a small struggle at max settings.
I agree. The game is phenomenal. But games like RDR2 look better than Cyberpunk and run SO much better on base consoles. The game is also horribly optimized on PC, and its a fucking joke on consoles. The game should've been delayed again, or the November release date should've been moved back to Jan/Feb. It's not unrealistic to assume that paying $60 will get you at least 30 FPS on base consoles, but it barely runs at 15. Not to mention how they didn't provide console review copies, which is scummy as fuck, and if EA or Ubisoft did the same they would be burnt alive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They knowingly suppressed info from coming to light, days before the game publicly released, and had the most stringent guidelines for reviews

they aren't sorry for anything they're 'sorry' there's backlash

that was so wrong,
BP Is deeply sorry! (We're Sorry) South Park - YouTube

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what i dont like is ...if you finished story you are stuck before last mission...means unlike in gta where you dont have any story mission anymore there you always have the last storymission..the way to the destination is marked on the map and its annoying. why cant they do it like in gta where all storymissions are gone and you only have side missions....(thats what i saw on my buddys pc he finished it)

Reactions: JavaScribe

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
what i dont like is ...if you finished story you are stuck before last mission...means unlike in gta where you dont have any story mission anymore there you always have the last storymission..the way to the destination is marked on the map and its annoying. why cant they do it like in gta where all storymissions are gone and you only have side missions....(thats what i saw on my buddys pc he finished it)
Oh, no post game then... That sucks... thank you for sharing :(

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After that 1.0.4 patch, the PS4 version is a lot better than it was on launch day and pretty playable. The framerate now hovers around 27-30 instead of the 20 fps it used to get. It is also keeping a higher resolution too. Just good enough to enjoy the story and most of the gameplay. Its not a premium or great experience however. Probably what Switch users are used to.

I will say that I was not expecting this game to be this bad. Its not fallout bad but the performance is a huge bummer. In a different timeline, the last gen would have been cancelled but if it was, people would have cancelled this game. Probably should have gotten it on Stadia and gotten that free chromecast/controller deal :P

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjIXjGzImE