Cinematic Video Games Degrading Gameplay

D

Deleted User

If only there were a way to not play these kinds of games, but alas it's not possible because we're forced to purchase all games that're released...

So, sarcasm aside, I see no issue with cinematic games at all, I think the more options the better.

Developers want to tell grander and deeper stories and aren't always sure the best way to do this, it's not the stories it's the implementation.

People saying final fantasy has now turned into long cutscenes must be forgetting the old ones.

Regularly taken out of gameplay in ffvii to read text for 15 minutes was never a complaint, yes 13 goes a tad overboard with it but I'd say the cutscenes lengths are the same overall. It's jut 13 didn't have great content.

JRPGS especially are long Winded, it's a genre I adore but implementation is often bad.

Tales of games are a great example of this, cutscenes are largely very static, characters simply stand stiff most of the time, even doing it the bravely default way would work better IMHO and that's still simple as hell.

Some stories blend seemlessly with gameplay whilst others do not, mgs having all it's optional codecs is fine, but having 15-20 minutes of needles exposition is not.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Games are evolving to give you a story of it's purpose it plays, Cinematic only Degrades game play when you can't skip that shit :rofl2: . Some people don't understand the concept it's trying to put out. We know that games are shifting towards movies, but why all of the sudden? It's 2015, and although while going back in time isn't the answer, we sure can make it a option if it's that big of a deal.

Honestly, I don't prefer this method of gaming, but I like how everything else is updating. Games like Half-Life 2 was perfect, and it gave you a story through game play, and not separate. I really do miss those days, but people need to get this out of this way, If I have to go to a cut scene, and wait for it to load the game then that is a no right there for me. Anybody can do this, but the execution needs to follow, which is supposed to be great.

It is time to have that option in games now: Cinematic Experience or Real Time Rendering?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Exactly why PC gaming > all. If you haven't played recent roguelikes/lites, you're missing out big time. Same applies if you only focus on playing AAA titles. Smaller studios and indie studios are producing a lot of games of much higher quality, albeit minus some of the shinies usually. More importantly, the focus sits squarely on the gameplay, as opposed to the boring crap you have no influence over.

Personally I was happier with the gaming industry influencing Hollywood than what results as a vice-versa. Maybe that's just me. At least some things were awesome, like the Judge Dredd remake.

Not to say a balance might not be better struck some day, but cinematic video games as they stand now do not interest me.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Exactly why PC gaming > all. If you haven't played recent roguelikes/lites, you're missing out big time. Same applies if you only focus on playing AAA titles. Smaller studios and indie studios are producing a lot of games of much higher quality, albeit minus some of the shinies usually. More importantly, the focus sits squarely on the gameplay, as opposed to the boring crap you have no influence over.

Damn...I was going to say this (I've been thinking over this in bed last night).

there are complaints that "more and more" games are overshadowed by their cinematics. Which may be true in itself, but misses the fact that more and more games are being released to begin with. And in relative terms, things certainly don't look as bleak. And with game engines easier and cheaper than ever (source2 and the unreal engine recently became free), that's more than likely to change in terms of gameplay*. We should really stop living in the '00-ties: indies aren't a borderline phenomenon anymore. There are plenty of great studios out there that produce top notch quality if gameplay is what you want. Sure, maxis and westwood may be gone, but paradox software and petroglyph games already fill the void with cities: skylines and grey goo**. Klei entertainment is building an impressive resume, double fine is rather known, there's telltale games, the games by curve studios are fun to play (for me) and of course let's not forget gaijin games (the bit.trip series).

*unless, of course, we have a vocal minority of gamers here, and the majority of upcoming game devs can't wait to start creating their own cutscène fests chopped up with boring gameplay sections and QTE's. ;)
**btw...am I the only one who totally did NOT see this C&C-like RTS coming? At all?

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
About the gameplay time being low and the game being easier nowadays, I think it because people are become busier to actually spent hour and hour to complete the game.
To be honest, I find it hard for me to have enough time to playing game like I use to be when I was a kid. Mostly because the work are harder now and also I have to spent time to "connect" to my related on Facebook or they will thing I'm dead or something, I could only find an hour or so to sit down and play some game.
That why console are cover in dust and I only play on my handheld. For the the same reason, people now start to attract to smartphone game but I find those game are mostly plague.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the gameplay time being low and the game being easier nowadays, I think it because people are become busier to actually spent hour and hour to complete the game.
To be honest, I find it hard for me to have enough time to playing game like I use to be when I was a kid. Mostly because the work are harder now and also I have to spent time to "connect" to my related on Facebook or they will thing I'm dead or something, I could only find an hour or so to sit down and play some game.
That why console are cover in dust and I only play on my handheld. For the the same reason, people now start to attract to smartphone game but I find those game are mostly plague.
People who were kids back then are busier, sure, but don't forget, there's new kids, like, almost every day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍