OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
alidsl said:
And I agree that star makes all other jailbreaks nearly obsolete but some people do prefer using a computer than going to the site, and the fatter the guide the better it looks
It's not that I prefer using a jailbreak tool on my computer, but rather I want my Happy Mac boot logo.
rolleyes.gif

neokingster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the guide and the helpful comments. Am now the proud owner of a jailbroken 32gb 3rd generation itouch running ios4
smile.gif

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys.

i have a question, though i dont really know if it's on topic, but i dont want to create a new thread.

Hmm, i already have a jailbroken iphone 3gs with firmware 3.0

i want to update to 3.1 cause well, im trying to install [Redacted] but it wont let me cause my firmware is 3.0

So can anyone tell me what to do to just update to at least 3.1, without any of my data being harmed, and keeping the jailbreak.
Thanks!

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll just be ignoring that incompatibility part you mentioned there.
tongue.gif

You could perform a backup in iTunes to save your preferences, media, and App Store purchases. If you have Rock or AptBackup, you can also back up whatever you installed from Cydia or Rock.

Once that's done, you need the SHSHs for 3.1.x. If you never backed up the SHSHs, you cannot get 3.1.x. The SHSHs may be backed up with Umbrella and/or Cydia. (Cydia on your iPhone informs you of what SHSHs it has.)

In order to use these backed up SHSHs, you must edit the hosts file (found at "/etc/hosts" for *nixes, or "C:\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" for Windows).
If you're using Cydia's servers, add this line:
Code:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
If you're using Umbrella, add this line:
Code:
127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Then find the firmware you want to upgrade to at The iPhone Wiki, and restore via iTunes. Once the restore finishes, restore your backed up data.

When all on your iPhone is right as rain, revert the edit made in your hosts file so Umbrella works without a hitch (if you're using it).

If you have any further questions or need clarification on anything I just wrote, don't hesitate to ask!
smile.gif

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
iOS 4.0.2 has been released.

Changelog: "Fixes security vulnerability associated with viewing malicious PDF files."

In other words, it has patched JailbreakMe, do NOT update if you plan on having a Jailbreak.

Make sure to backup your SHSH blobs for 4.0 and 4.0.1 as they will be closing in a matter of hours/minutes as the new OS is out.

Code:
iOS 4.0.2 Update for iPhone and iPod touch
FreeType

CVE-ID: CVE-2010-1797

Available for: iOS 2.0 through 4.0.1 for iPhone 3G and later, iOS 2.1 through 4.0 for iPod touch (2nd generation) and later

Impact: Viewing a PDF document with maliciously crafted embedded fonts may allow arbitrary code execution

Description: A stack buffer overflow exists in FreeType's handling of CFF opcodes. Viewing a PDF document with maliciously crafted embedded fonts may allow arbitrary code execution. This issue is addressed through improved bounds checking.

IOSurface

CVE-ID: CVE-2010-2973

Available for: iOS 2.0 through 4.0.1 for iPhone 3G and later, iOS 2.1 through 4.0 for iPod touch (2nd generation) and later

Impact: Malicious code running as the user may gain system privileges

Description: An integer overflow exists in the handling of IOSurface properties, which may allow malicious code running as the user to gain system privileges. This issue is addressed through improved bounds checking.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Crap!

I have two 3GS'

the first one (old bootrom), I already have the blobs for 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1, as well as Cydia

but the other one is new (and new bootrom obviously), Cydia has been pending the request for about 5 days now. I did however save the 4.0 and 4.0.1 using umbrella (although I'm on 3.1.3 but there is no way I can get the blobs for that right?)

Does that mean that Cydia will not end up saving it?

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you rush, Cydia might be able to cache it; I think Apple's still giving out 4.0(.1) signatures.

At the very least, you should be able to save it on your computer with Umbrella.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I have it saved on my PC using Umbrella, but Cydia doesnt
frown.gif

I also got 4.0 using Umbrella a few minutes after your 4.0.2 post (I originally thought they were only giving SHSH signings for 4.0.1 only, so I didnt try getting 4.0 .. but I have it now)

Too bad none of this is on Cydia though .. its pissing me off
frown.gif

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
madridi4ever said:
I have it saved on my PC using Umbrella, but Cydia doesnt
frown.gif

I also got 4.0 using Umbrella a few minutes after your 4.0.2 post (I originally thought they were only giving SHSH signings for 4.0.1 only, so I didnt try getting 4.0 .. but I have it now)

Too bad none of this is on Cydia though .. its pissing me off
frown.gif
Well, at least the SHSHs are backed up on your computer... Who knows, maybe Apple's gonna keep the signing window open long enough for Cydia to save it!

And... an update on SHSHs for 4.0/4.0.1: According to semaphore (creator of Umbrella), Apple is still handing them out.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
I'll just be ignoring that incompatibility part you mentioned there.
tongue.gif

You could perform a backup in iTunes to save your preferences, media, and App Store purchases. If you have Rock or AptBackup, you can also back up whatever you installed from Cydia or Rock.

Once that's done, you need the SHSHs for 3.1.x. If you never backed up the SHSHs, you cannot get 3.1.x. The SHSHs may be backed up with Umbrella and/or Cydia. (Cydia on your iPhone informs you of what SHSHs it has.)

In order to use these backed up SHSHs, you must edit the hosts file (found at "/etc/hosts" for *nixes, or "C:\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" for Windows).
If you're using Cydia's servers, add this line:
Code:
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
If you're using Umbrella, add this line:
Code:
127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Then find the firmware you want to upgrade to at The iPhone Wiki, and restore via iTunes. Once the restore finishes, restore your backed up data.

When all on your iPhone is right as rain, revert the edit made in your hosts file so Umbrella works without a hitch (if you're using it).

If you have any further questions or need clarification on anything I just wrote, don't hesitate to ask!
smile.gif
THANKS!
Uhmm. I just backed up my SHSH using tiny umbrella. Cause, I misclicked when cydia asked me.
so i am going to add those lines to the hosts file, then restore with itunes?
Im thinking of going for ios4 now.

also, if i mess up, would there be a way to undo all these? cause its like a family iphone and i would get my ass served on plate with side dish if I kill the phone, so...yeah.
laugh.gif

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Apple stopped signing 4.0(.1) now. To anyone reading from now on, you do need to edit the hosts file.

Should you mess up, entering Recovery Mode or DFU Mode (see the guide for DFU Mode) will let you restore your iPhone to factory settings.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I just woke up, and cydia apparently got SHSH for 4.0 before Apple stopped the signings
biggrin.gif

Finally, after days of pending!

It only got 4.0 though, not 4.0.1
I wonder why ..

Well, thats good enough anyways

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
madridi4ever said:
I just woke up, and cydia apparently got SHSH for 4.0 before Apple stopped the signings
biggrin.gif

Finally, after days of pending!

It only got 4.0 though, not 4.0.1
I wonder why ..

Well, thats good enough anyways
Odd... Apple stopped signing 4.0 about a month ago.
blink.gif
4.0 and 4.0.1 are identical anyways, save for how cell phone reception is shown.

The guide has been updated to suggest installing the actual PDF patch (found on the Cydia/Telesphoreo repo), not PDF Loading Warner.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
That's what I thought too, but I got it via Umbrella just last night!
I only jailbroke it about a week ago.. so cydia couldnt have gotten it before that

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Now that's what I call weird
Cydia is showing SHSH for 4.0 and 4.0.1 .. just now..

Maybe it saved a while back and its just reporting it? or got it somehow when I connected with umbrella? I donno but I have it now lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol