CRITICAL: Meltdown and Specter CPU Bugs

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is why you never update windows. when i build my new rig i'm putting the w10 disc i got from day one in and blocking all updates with windows 10 manager forever :P

MasterControl90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
this is why you never update windows. when i build my new rig i'm putting the w10 disc i got from day one in and blocking all updates with windows 10 manager forever :P

Updates are important and there is a reason why Microsoft are forcing them with Windows 10: the kinda urban legend that Microsoft operating systems are unsecure.
The reality is that all systems are and always will be vulnerable (both HW and SW side) and updates are necessary for your privacy and security, who complain about updates and disable them are exactly the people that says windows is unsecure... A sage person once said "the vulnerability in a computer sits between the monitor and the chair" (or something along those lines :P ).

PS: I'm not saying Microsoft or its products are perfect by any means, there is and I have a lot to complain about their products and relative testing.

sansnumen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that Spectre is unfixable with software? Cause I just read somewhere that Intel intends to fix Spectre with a BIOS update or something.

Spectre can be mitigated with software like Retpoline. However, because Spectre exploits speculative execution at the hardware level new hardware and ISA revisions will be needed to completely patch Spectre.

Intel says their microcode updates fix Spectre, but that's highly doubtful unless Intel somehow redesigned hardware through a software patch (hint: they can't).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really think someone is going to dig though low level machine code to hack your shit? I doubt it.

While widespread hacking has been a concern, I think that this scare is overblown, the likelihood of millions of people being hacked is very low. Nevertheless, I installed the hotfix for Windows a few days back. And honestly? It didn't affect a damn thing when it comes to performance in my games or other apps. In fact, it runs just as good. The whole "6-30% degradation" in performance is bullshit.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
It is overblown lol. Look at all these articles screming the sky is falling. Companies will be fine if they have a decent firewall and other security messures in place.

At most this will affect the average job who doesn't keep up with updates or are easily fooled anyways.

sansnumen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could the switch be affected? and PS3? if so maybe we (the devs) can use the bug as an exploit? just a thought

Most likely not useful. You can theoretically use Spectre to execute a ROP chain to leak privileged information to an attacker. Things like login credentials, or crypto keys if they exist in kernel RAM and only if you know where to look.

Honestly, finding a kernel exploit is probably easier than writing a Spectre exploit.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and here i thought we could turn something very dangerous for the average pc and make it a useful exploit for consoles oh well and here i thought this would be a golden ticket to a ps3 superslim exploit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw i'm guessing macs/hackintosh's are vulnerable

WD_Gaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
and here i thought we could turn something very dangerous for the average pc and make it a useful exploit for consoles oh well and here i thought this would be a golden ticket to a ps3 superslim exploit

btw i'm guessing macs/hackintosh's are vulnerable

i believe as long as it is an intel processor, it affects all operating systems. crazy stuff. I work in an IT environment, i wonder how companies are going to respond to this.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sucks though ps3's are ppc based (IBM cell)

what about ps4/xbone ik their x86_64 what brand cpu there use?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-