Dealing with the upcoming pokemon black and white flood

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since I remember the last messes with big releases I had a strange idea. When the Pokemon Black and white roms are dumbed, there will be more than likely an AP on them. And we all know the huge mess that is going to cause. So as an idea, I think the site should lock out the Register button for a few days/weeks so we don't get as many people coming on all at once. It won't solve nor stop the problem, but it will make the site a little easier to mange without all the new accounts being made all at once.
As well another idea was given to me by CamulaHikari. If not that not allow low levels during X amount of time not be allowed to make new topics. Again it won't completely solve the problem, but after the last mess this site went there, I think we should seriously bunker down the site so we don't have a repeat of last few times.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
_Chaz_ said:
tj_cool said:
I thought the servers were updated to withstand noob floods.

Well, even if they haven't, blocking topic creation won't help.
How so?
Posting irrelevantly in threads will result in warnings/bans.
Who're going through the posts and have to fish the irrelevant posts out? Yep, the mods and admins.
Since the 'temp doesn't have a big amount of them, this is simply impossible.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
_Chaz_ said:
tj_cool said:
I thought the servers were updated to withstand noob floods.

Well, even if they haven't, blocking topic creation won't help.
How so?
Posting irrelevantly in threads will result in warnings/bans.
Who're going through the posts and have to fish the irrelevant posts out? Yep, the mods and admins.
Since the 'temp doesn't have a big amount of them, this is simply impossible.
Since that's the case, I would say a few people would get temporary mod powers in the DS sections, and General Consoles. I mean, we do have a few members here who could be trusted with the temporary status.

I would say add a window that would pop up when the make new topic button is clicked, that would read: If you have any questions related to Anti Piracy, or compatibility of new titles, please check the stickies for information first. If your answer is contained in the stickies, and you have created a topic for said answer, then your topic will be locked indefinitely. Have the box pop up a certain number of times for a certain amount of time, then it won't be seen again.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sterl500 said:
Since that's the case, I would say a few people would get temporary mod powers in the DS sections, and General Consoles. I mean, we do have a few members here who could be trusted with the temporary status.

In the recent past there have been occasions where the site was manned by a skeleton crew of staff. But since the new promotions we currently have a group of extremely active new mods, as well as new magstaff (who also have mod powers in their sections) and of course the solid backbone of veteran staff. Generally someone will respond to a report within a few minutes now, so I don't think temporary mods are needed personally. (or a good idea)

QUOTE(Sterl500 @ Sep 9 2010, 09:44 PM) I would say add a window that would pop up when the make new topic button is clicked, that would read: If you have any questions related to Anti Piracy, or compatibility of new titles, please check the stickies for information first. If your answer is contained in the stickies, and you have created a topic for said answer, then your topic will be locked indefinitely. Have the box pop up a certain number of times for a certain amount of time, then it won't be seen again.

I actually suggested something like that here a long time ago. A pop up box for newcomers, where lets say for their first twenty or so posts/threads this box would appear before they could post a reply or make a topic with a brief run down of rules and so on that they would have to tick off and accept. At the very least it would give someone no excuse for making the basic rule infractions that newcomers tend to make.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yes to both!
laugh.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We could also temporarily make some parts of the website inactive, when the noobflood hits.
I'm thinking of sigs, GBAtemp TV and maybe the boxarts of the releases? Basically all the stuff that uses a lot of bandwidth.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
the server has been updated.
there is no need for all of this.

If you temporarily disable accounts and posting threads, what happens to the people that want to come here for non-pokemon related things?

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
ahhh memories of stuff that flooded the temp

pokemon
nsmb wii
kingdom hearts
wii hacks
ds flashcarts
and now ps jailbreak

lol
i think a 1 week (+) disable for making new threads for new users is good idea

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Be easier to just block all free based email accounts during sign up and force people to actually use a isp email address,but I doubt that would happen...

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I totally agree!
prowler_ said:
the server has been updated.
there is no need for all of this.

If you temporarily disable accounts and posting threads, what happens to the people that want to come here for non-pokemon related things?
You could replace the register page with "We're sorry for the inconvenience, but for various reasons registering on this website is temporarily disabled. Please check back in a few days."

Or something like that

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Should we lock low level users from making new topics during that time?

I don't think that's fair...I don't even like/play pokemon games..that means because of this "pokemon" flood, I can't post new topics??

should I hurry and spam gbatemp to get to 100pts?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SOS-Rens said:
Just send a PM to every member too say they don't post to much questions or something
(if there's a mod function for that)
Admins can mass PM everyone. But I don't think that's a good idea.

If you want to send a notice to anyone, it's better to use the Announcement system. (An announcement is a topic to which you cannot reply, but they appear above stickies and can show up in multiple forums, in this case the DS forums).

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokemon is big...
no matter how, the 18... gbatemp is screw up

lock the register button but dont fuck with low level users (like me lol) from making new threads
60% of the 5th generation noobs arent registered yet

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zarcon said:
We can handle 15k+ users at once without issue.
If we go over that mark on d-day then it'll serve as a good benchmark for us.
smile.gif

15k is a great number, but counting that there is at least 3billion people that have pc, is gonna get black/white and this forums popularity it might go well over that number.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MeritsAlone said:
15k is a great number, but counting that there is at least 3billion people that have pc, is gonna get black/white and this forums popularity it might go well over that number.Yeah because all those people are pirate scum that want to have the game on their R4 immediately, and yeah because GBAtemp is the largest hacking site ever and most certainly the first result when you Google ROMs.

pfft.jpg

QUOTE(Dark Langin @ Sep 10 2010, 09:37 PM) Yes and yes
The fuck?

Lock this topic already FFS, it's not bringing any benefit and is only causing more spam.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?