Dealing with the upcoming pokemon black and white flood

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since I remember the last messes with big releases I had a strange idea. When the Pokemon Black and white roms are dumbed, there will be more than likely an AP on them. And we all know the huge mess that is going to cause. So as an idea, I think the site should lock out the Register button for a few days/weeks so we don't get as many people coming on all at once. It won't solve nor stop the problem, but it will make the site a little easier to mange without all the new accounts being made all at once.
As well another idea was given to me by CamulaHikari. If not that not allow low levels during X amount of time not be allowed to make new topics. Again it won't completely solve the problem, but after the last mess this site went there, I think we should seriously bunker down the site so we don't have a repeat of last few times.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Not a bad idea. As I recall the 'temp crashed last time a new Pokemon game came out, with people demanding translations and patches and the like.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An idea like this is always suggested and shot down when a big release is coming.

Its times like these that we get the most new members which we need to keep the community going (not all are idiots) and maybe help support us with money from ads and also from Shoptemp.

If you don't like the flood just stay off until it dies down.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Stopping registration during big releases has been suggested before. But the admins are strongly against this because its during these big releases that a large amount of new users register onto the site. It refreshes the user base and keeps the site alive, and even though many new members don't stick around once AP's have been cracked and so on, enough do to keep the site going. Yes we do have troubles during these times, but locking out registrations is the equivalent of a department store closing during the Christmas period because they want to avoid the rush.

I am actually paraphrasing a reply given by Ace when this was last suggested by the way.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
This always happens, we can't help it. There may be many idiots joining, but there will definitely be some good members who will join as well. We just have to deal with it and wait till the flood ends.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Blaze163 said:
Not a bad idea. As I recall the 'temp crashed last time a new Pokemon game came out, with people demanding translations and patches and the like.
Since then, the server has been upgraded.
I'd wish people would stop mentioning this.

also, this thread isn't doing any good to help prevent the 'flood', it's just adding to it.

frogmyster3

Trophies
XP
Country
While I quite like that idea, I was lurking here around the time the Japanese HG/SS leaked. I think the biggest problem then, and it still is a problem with other big titles, is that these new members and guests can't read. You're going to get loads of pages of the same questions being asked over and over so when Black and White do get dumped there needs to be one main thread with a note in a massive font saying that they will be patched and they need to be patient and keep checking for the patch.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If they can't be blocked out, then why not the second option? I mean there is no need for so many threads to be made, why not just lock out members who register on that day from making topics during the time of the flood?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
If they can't be blocked out, then why not the second option? I mean there is no need for so many threads to be made, why not just lock out members who register on that day from making topics during the time of the flood?

Unless you also block their posting ability completely there is not much point in even doing that. The people who would make these topics would inevitably just spam up the release threads or other threads with what they wanted to post instead.

These big releases are just a tsunami wave that regular members have to brace themselves for and the staff have to deal with. Its unavoidable really.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
p1ngpong said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:

Unless you also block their posting ability completely there is not much point in even doing that. The people who would make these topics would inevitably just spam up the release threads or other threads with what they wanted to post instead.

These big releases are just a tsunami wave that regular members have to brace themselves for and the staff have to deal with. Its unavoidable really.
I guess it was a wise idea that I made the EOF bunker just in case something like this ever happened.
EDIT: But in all seriousness. It was just a idea I felt should have been thrown out there. I just don't want to see a repeat of what happened last time really.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I joined here during the last "flood" I didn't even know a new pokemon game was coming out
laugh.gif

Other forums make every new thread (by newcomers) and sometimes even posts (but thats a bit silly I think) be approved by a mod before it gets posted, why not do that here for awhile.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lock the "Register Button": No

Disable Low Level Threads: Yes, Yes, a million times yes.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
Other forums make every new thread (by newcomers) and sometimes even posts (but thats a bit silly I think) be approved by a mod before it gets posted, why not do that here for awhile.
Something to do having to deal with many posts and not having so many staff members on at certain times. Sometimes we have a lot but they're dealing with more important things or just using the forum in their spare time.

You'll also get idiots posting the same thing over and over wondering why its not being posted.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gaydrian said:
The Pi said:
Something to do having to deal with many posts and not having so many staff members on at certain times. Sometimes we have a lot but they're dealing with more important things or just using the forum in their spare time.

You'll also get idiots posting the same thing over and over wondering why its not being posted.
And then they'll start flooding the Bug Reports section because their "forumz duznt werk".

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say just stop them from making topics. Oooh I bet there will be loads of "OMG why won't it work on my R4?", "Is there a translation patch?" and "Are there any AR codes?" etc.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
giratina16 said:
I would say just stop them from making topics. Oooh I bet there will be loads of "OMG why won't it work on my R4?", "Is there a translation patch?" and "Are there any AR codes?" etc.
Not as much R4 nowadays with the glory of R4 Wood, but there will be more threads on the M3 Forums since the M3's updates have really slowed down.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
I thought the servers were updated to withstand noob floods.

Well, even if they haven't, blocking topic creation won't help.
How so?
Posting irrelevantly in threads will result in warnings/bans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1