Dealing with the upcoming pokemon black and white flood

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since I remember the last messes with big releases I had a strange idea. When the Pokemon Black and white roms are dumbed, there will be more than likely an AP on them. And we all know the huge mess that is going to cause. So as an idea, I think the site should lock out the Register button for a few days/weeks so we don't get as many people coming on all at once. It won't solve nor stop the problem, but it will make the site a little easier to mange without all the new accounts being made all at once.
As well another idea was given to me by CamulaHikari. If not that not allow low levels during X amount of time not be allowed to make new topics. Again it won't completely solve the problem, but after the last mess this site went there, I think we should seriously bunker down the site so we don't have a repeat of last few times.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats what i saw an a ****** site had to block the site cause its against the rules but its a mp3 file so d/w about it

Im just gonna play .DOT Hack G//U Series on my PS2 until this comes out
I have alot of side missions to complete cause i want to have a 100% complete save file

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A simple check based on keywords such as

Pokemon (Spelt in any manner)
PKMN (Spelt in any manner)

This would only apply to new topics. In the case of posting in an already existing topic, we should probably increase the flood timer.

Edit: Yay 300 Posts!

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PoweredByTux said:
We could just make it so that nobody with under 50 posts can post in Pokemon B/W related topics. That would be relatively fair.

Even if that was possible.

People would then spam to 50 and post what they want....

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
iFish said:
PoweredByTux said:
We could just make it so that nobody with under 50 posts can post in Pokemon B/W related topics. That would be relatively fair.

If they tried spamming to 50 the mods would easily notice...
Then BAM suspension.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
I can remember they DID lock down the whole site to only members with 100+. If anything, lock it down to 200+, or something like that.
But, what about all the people who are posting that have under 100/200 posts, not for pokemon but for other things???

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideas - prevent a certain number of post counts from posting, IE. those people with 1 or 2 posts that generally disappear not long after posting.
Restriction applies to making new topics, but posting in an existing thread another story. And if they do spam/use nonsense just to get a count up for their needs, ban, block, delete, whatever.
I figure this way it wouldn't hurt existing users, and encourage regular use of GBATemp, as opposed to registering, asking something, and quit after that.

And then there's PoweredByTux's filter idea, turn Pokemon into something (funny?) until it dies down. Digimon, grapes, tomatoes, innuendo, Nintendo, anything works. Revenge trolling!
Add to the rules for the special Pokemon occasion, to address the whole 'bugged' forum stuff. It shows they didn't read, at least. No ifs, ands, or buts, excuses be gone.
For those with actual help for the game, such as strategies for the first gym, and what Pokemon to catch, B/W, PM, PM B/W should be enough to bypass it.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
We aren't going to lock anything down or restrict anyone's posting ability.

And we certainly aren't going to filter out the word pokemon or any of its variants while massive amounts of discussion about the game are going on. That would just cause large scale disruption to legitimate threads about the game and not really solve anything. If anything it would create a whole host of new problems amongst the n00bs.

Really there has been a great deal of discussion about these "n00b floods" before for years. All these ideas have been touted around before, none of them would really work.

Like I said its just something we deal with, its not like the end of the world is coming.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
We aren't going to lock anything down or restrict anyone's posting ability.

And we certainly aren't going to filter out the word pokemon or any of its variants while massive amounts of discussion about the game are going on. That would just cause large scale disruption to legitimate threads about the game and not really solve anything. If anything it would create a whole host of new problems amongst the n00bs.

Really there has been a great deal of discussion about these "n00b floods" before for years. All these ideas have been touted around before, none of them would really work.

Like I said its just something we deal with, its not like the end of the world is coming.
LIES!!!

REPENT REPENT!

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We could just do what we did before:

1. Complain in preparation. [In progress...]
2. Become annoyed at false reports of an early release. [Already had one of those.]
3. When it really is released, wade through people asking if it works(walks) on R4, and trying to sneak in links.
4. Report/create threads about the Game(Pokemon).
5. Find the strange/funny ones and make fun of them in the EoF.
6. Be shocked at how small the flood was compared to our expectations.
7. Look forward in horror to the next really huge release.

This has always worked before, let's keep doing it!
laugh.gif

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iFish said:
PoweredByTux said:

In which they would be infraction, and warned, and unless they were to heed those warnings, they would eventually be suspended or banned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: AncientBoi might be interested lol +1