Disney finalizes their $71.3 billion acquisition of Fox

NrZFDBe.png

In December, there were talks of the Walt Disney Corporation looking into buying 21st Century Fox. It was later revealed that Disney offered up $52.4 billion for Fox's repertoire. Afterwards, Comcast tried to throw their hat into the ring by bidding $65 billion, but were outbid by Disney's second offer of $71.3 billion. It took seven months for things to level out and get through without issue, and as of now, Disney has announced that they have purchased 21st Century Fox. Both Fox's Rupert Murdoch and Disney's Robert Iger were positive about the buyout, stating that they're excited the future.

Fox itself will keep Fox News, Business, and Sports, alongside any of their local TV stations. It will take until the first half of 2019 for the deal to be completed, in terms of transactions and stocks. Disney now owns majority stock in Hulu, as well.

“We’re incredibly pleased that shareholders of both companies have granted approval for us to move forward, and are confident in our ability to create significant long-term value through this acquisition of Fox’s premier assets,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “We remain grateful to Rupert Murdoch and to the rest of the 21st Century Fox board for entrusting us with the future of these extraordinary businesses, and look forward to welcoming 21st Century Fox’s stellar talent to Disney and ultimately integrating our businesses to provide consumers around the world with more appealing content and entertainment options.”

:arrow: Source

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fail to see how this is a monopoly when you have 2 other major players in Universal-Comcast and AT&T-Warner Bros. Frankly, I’d be more concerned that Fox is dumping all of this into “news.”

Maybe now Marvel can be the ones that make a Fantastic 4 movie, and we can get an Avengers Vs Xmen series of flicks.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I fail to see how this is a monopoly when you have 2 other major players in Universal-Comcast and AT&T-Warner Bros. Frankly, I’d be more concerned that Fox is dumping all of this into “news.”

Maybe now Marvel can be the ones that make a Fantastic 4 movie, and we can get an Avengers Vs Xmen series of flicks.
but what has to do with fox? Both F4 and Xmen already belong to Mahve universe, they can ofc, make a this huge cross-over if they want.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but what has to do with fox? Both F4 and Xmen already belong to Mahve universe, they can ofc, make a this huge cross-over if they want.
Fox owns the rights to both and it was a huge money-maker for them

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know that Time-Warner/Comcast was acquired by NBC, at the very least, and I don't know much about AT&T although I've heard they have their fingers in a bunch of pies as well. So, that's the issue; we're down to only a few players in the entertainment space that previously was dominated by a host of competiting studios. When you end up with media giants that big, there's simply no competition if they agree among themselves that there isn't

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to film adaptations, no. Fun fact, Sony still owns the rights to any film depictions of Spiderman, they're just cooperating with Disney to get Tom Holland's version into the MCU
Same with Universal and Hulk. Technically Universal still owns the TV and film rights to the character.

@leon315 in the 90's, comic book sales fell dramatically and while DC comics had the backing of Warner Bros., Marvel had no major conglomerate backing. So what they did to avoid going bankrupt, was sell off the film and TV rights to their more popular characters and groups at the time. Sony ended up with Spider-Man and his affiliated IP. Fox got X-Men, Fantastic 4, and their affiliated IP, and Universal got Hulk and its affiliated IP. There were other characters sold off, but I can't remember them.

Edit: Just remembered Blade. Not sure who owns the IP, but I don't believe its Marvel

Last edited by brickmii82,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Same with Universal and Hulk. Technically Universal still owns the TV and film rights to the character.

@leon315 in the 90's, comic book sales fell dramatically and while DC comics had the backing of Warner Bros., Marvel had no major conglomerate backing. So what they did to avoid going bankrupt, was sell off the film and TV rights to their more popular characters and groups at the time. Sony ended up with Spider-Man and his affiliated IP. Fox got X-Men, Fantastic 4, and their affiliated IP, and Universal got Hulk and its affiliated IP. There were other characters sold off, but I can't remember them.

Edit: Just remembered Blade. Not sure who owns the IP, but I don't believe its Marvel
so, interesting! i've no idea that even Mahve had such difficult time! basically Thanks to Disney, Mahve got a EPIC COMEBACK, and was still Disney the only responsable for saving Mahve?

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, interesting! i've no idea that even Mahve had such difficult time! basically Thanks to Disney, Mahve got a EPIC COMEBACK, and was still Disney the only responsable for saving Mahve?
Marvels comic sales picked back up and they were holding ground, but not making a lot of profit. Disney bought them and sat on the content for awhile as Marvel continued to churn out comic books. They really didn't dmuch but stand back and not get in the way. What Disney did more than anything was allow a guy named Kevin Feige to take the reigns of the characters and production development. Feige had connections all around the film industry, and was an avid fan of the genre(comics). First Iron Man hit as a surprise smash at the box office, then after that Marvel Studios just dropped blockbuster after blockbuster. No single person is more responsible for the success they've enjoyed than Feige.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marvels comic sales picked back up and they were holding ground, but not making a lot of profit. Disney bought them and sat on the content for awhile as Marvel continued to churn out comic books. They really didn't dmuch but stand back and not get in the way. What Disney did more than anything was allow a guy named Kevin Feige to take the reigns of the characters and production development. Feige had connections all around the film industry, and was an avid fan of the genre(comics). First Iron Man hit as a surprise smash at the box office, then after that Marvel Studios just dropped blockbuster after blockbuster. No single person is more responsible for the success they've enjoyed than Feige.
It should be mentioned that every Marvel movie up until Iron Man 3 was produced by Paramount Pictures, though; they had the contract with Marvel Studios first that started with Iron Man in 2008, and Disney bought everything that wasn't already owned in 2009, but obviously a legal contract supersedes an an acquisition so they (Paramount) got to finish all the movies contracted first

Also, yeah, what you said about Hulk is actually the reason there hasn't been a standalone Hulk movie since the 2008 one by Universal; per contract Disney is only allowed to use the character in crossover films

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: