Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, Skylanders Base Emulator - Project D.I.R.E.

Project D.I.R.E.
(UPDATE 29 NOVEMBER 2023)

We have been made aware that certain individuals are attempting to sell the community edition of this project on ETSY, a project that is explicitly offered for free. This action not only undermines the spirit of our community project but is also a move that capitalizes on the work of others in a very negative way. Furthermore, these sales include unauthorized distribution of bin files related to Lego, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity, which is a clear infringement of intellectual property rights. We strongly urge the community to maintain the integrity of the project by helping us address and curtail these unauthorized sales. It is essential to remind everyone that our project was created for free distribution, and it should remain that way. Your support in this matter is invaluable.

Special Thanks to the following individuals for their dedication and hard work. Without them this project would not be possible.

znxDomain -> firmware unlocker, tester, researcher
Lucky.peic -> firmware gui editor, tester, prototype, initial writeups, researcher
B47M4N -> firmware gui editor, tester, pcb and case creator, researcher, user guide writer
Bowman -> alt firmware, prototype tester
Mystic -> supplied test files, tester

Project D.I.R.E. (Disney Infinity Reverse Engineered) is a portal emulator for Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. This replaces the original portal in place of a custom created one to inject your own character dumps without the need for the original characters, vehicles, or playsets.

This emulator originally started several years ago after a talented coder named obiima did not release his project to the public. Obiima created and demoed a console portal emulator for 3 games: Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. Obiima never released his project into the wild and the project he did release privately was closed firmware meaning locked to the stm32 Bluepill. This project picks up where he left off.

The Firmware allows this device to select between games by holding one of the buttons during boot. Specific Button usage can be found in the User Guide. You have the option of using limited onboard memory or by using an SD card you can increase the character count in your base emulator. By adding your own character files known as bin files, you can inject them into the game without having to keep your original characters.

This emulator currently works on the Wii, Wii U, PS3, and PS4.
We CAN NOT confirm if this works on the PS5 or Nintendo Switch as we do not own those consoles with these games to test with.

We have been told Skylanders plays on the Nintendo Switch but does NOT use the Portal of Power.
We have also seen footage of Disney Infinity being played on a PS5 with a PS4 base.

XBOX 360 and XBOX One are Not Yet included in this release. There is a security chip required from an Activision portal to make this work and we have not yet discovered a simple method to allow these games to work on these specific consoles.

upload_2021-8-26_20-29-42.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-30.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-46.png

Some of the files are too large to fit in this forum post and have been attached via mediafire.
All files can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9u87thpc42j9a/Release+Package

Attachments

• D.I.R.E Template A06.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 339
  • D.I.R.E._3D_Case_Files_8-25-21_multiple_sizes_of_Button_Caps.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 290
  • D.I.R.E._PCB_2021-03-12.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited by Kfkboys,

rory2005

Trophies
XP
Country
Deffo looking for a pcb now, lost 2 pads trying to get the mainboard off, i could run wires but that renders having a PCB useless
Post automatically merged:

Still looking for a spare, but have managed to repair this one for the moment

Last edited by rory2005,

AdamFox

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh my! I would be very happy to get all the bin files for the 3 games if you still have them. I already ordered all the parts for building this thing. Because I am a newbie on this site, I can not message you...
Is it possible to get a copy of the bin files please 🙏 I made the Prodject D.I.R.E on a circuit board and I need the skylander bins and Lego dimensions bins any help would be appreciated thanks 🙏

AdamFox

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
super nice project. Has anybody a hint for me how to search for bank files-> DI is quite easy but the others are hard to find since the online bank is closed since a year

OR

is there a tutorial to read figures and save the rfid data to bin. (As I have the figures, but have no clue how to create bins from them)
I need to know this too I’m still looking for Lego dimensions bins

When I click on it it just opens note pad. If I open cmd and type "start stlink_flash_firmware.bat.txt" it also opens note pad. I'm stuck.

Edit: Solved! At first I couldn't change the file extension from .txt to .bat but I finally made it and after that I could flash the firmware.

Edit 2: I formatted both internal and external flash memories but I can't load any banks. I can't select a partition as I see no partition. OK, I had to move the sliders... facepalm.

Edit 3: I'm playing DI1 and the emulator works. Thanks to everyone!
Edit 4: I mounted another emulator. Now I have two :D
Edit 5: I have all the LEGO Dimensions characters and vehicles and I want to dump them as I can't find the .bin files online but I don't know how. OK I finally figured out how to dump the figures and create proper bin files. I tested them in game and they work.
This is my little boy:
Is there anyway I could get a copy of the Lego bin files

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I need to know this too I’m still looking for Lego dimensions bins

Is there anyway I could get a copy of the Lego bin files
I have them but probably not legal to distribute (following the rules of gbatemp)
BUT a much better solution for lego dimensions is

https://github.com/Berny23/LD-ToyPad-Emulator

The DIRE solution does not work very well with the moving of characters across the portal (which this game requires) and the toypad emulator gives a web inteface which allows for just that...and the beauty is you do not need any bin file.

clj80

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, can anyone help me with the bin banks files to upload?
I found several things on the internet but they all give me errors, thanks

PCBasPRO

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello all, when I try to use the Bank Editor with "unlocked-firmware.bin" I get the error:
2024-01-22_12h28_18.png

Is missing anything (the privious steps I gave with out errors)?

thanks.

ObiG

Trophies
XP
Country
Deffo looking for a pcb now, lost 2 pads trying to get the mainboard off, i could run wires but that renders having a PCB useless

Still looking for a spare, but have managed to repair this one for the moment
do you still need a board? I might have a spare one, but I need to check and find my spares box!

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great, a lot of work and effort has gone in to this.
I'd like to get in to playing the games..
Couple of questions,
Has anyone tested this on a PS5?
From start to finish, what is the cost to build it yourself?
Is anyone selling the emulator pre-built for not a stupid amount of money?

JellyTime09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great, a lot of work and effort has gone in to this.
I'd like to get in to playing the games..
Couple of questions,
Has anyone tested this on a PS5?
From start to finish, what is the cost to build it yourself?
Is anyone selling the emulator pre-built for not a stupid amount of money?
the ps5 works with older disney infinity portals, noted here, it should work.
I spent maybe 35 bucks on everything, it's all 1-5 dollar parts, the most expensive part for me was ordering 3d prints because I didn't have access to a big enough printer.

Reactions: jellybeangreen2

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ps5 works with older disney infinity portals, noted here, it should work.
I spent maybe 35 bucks on everything, it's all 1-5 dollar parts, the most expensive part for me was ordering 3d prints because I didn't have access to a big enough printer.
Thanks. I have soldering skills so can put the device together myself. It's just time more than anything.

Maybe I will cave and buy all parts someday.

If someone made a complete board made without 3d print for say £50 or with 3d print for £60 I'd buy that.

Reactions: JellyTime09

luckypeic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Im not really active here but to reply to few posts

hi, can anyone help me with the bin banks files to upload?
I found several things on the internet but they all give me errors, thanks
Sorry, NFC .bin files are copyrighted material so we couldnt include those with the release and we cannot share any links to those due to copyright.

Hello all, when I try to use the Bank Editor with "unlocked-firmware.bin" I get the error:
View attachment 415558

thanks.

Sorry for such a late reply but if you havent already sloved it, the bank editor software is for transfering .bin files for NFC figures to the device, unlocked-firmware.bin needs to be flashed onto STM32 first by installing STM32 ST-LINK Utility (not included with the project so you are gonna need to google it) and then drag and drop unlocked-firmware.bin onto the stlink_flash_firmware.bat file included with the release files.

Missed opportunity to call it:

Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, Or Skylanders.​

A.k.a: Project D.I.L.D.O.S. :creep:

Made me laugh XD

sazechman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 415558

thanks.
I had the same problem. Turned out to be user error. You have to go to device, then format. On the format screen you have to slide the slider for the game you want, to the right then format. Then you can load and select append button. that is where you add your bin files. Let me know if you need more details.

Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed