Disney to buy 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion

IMG_5979.JPG

In what appears to be a huge power play for Disney, it seems that they'll be buying out the 21st Century Fox division. The media giant is attempting to bolster its repertoire in order to offer more content when the company gets its own streaming service, to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Disney now owns the rights to certain properties like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Deadpool, Modern Family, Sky TV, X-Men, and the one Star Wars movie that Disney didn't already have in its arsenal; the first Star Wars movie. They'll also get access to Fox's 30% shares of streaming service Hulu, which means coupled with the shares that Disney already owned, they now have 60% stake in Hulu, with the remaining 40% tied to Comcast and Time Warner. While Fox's Rupert Murdoch and Disney's Bob Iger both endorse the deal, it won't be signed and sealed until it passes through the US Government. This does not spell the end for Fox, however, as they will be keeping parts of their empire, such as Fox Sports 1+2, Fox News, and Fox Business Network.

Though it's more speculation than anything, perhaps due to having Disney own some of these franchises, we might see new games created with these IPs, or maybe even remasters of older games, as Disney is no newcomer to allowing their properties to be involved in some beloved games.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disney has been doing that for a lot longer than that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

One where people find any reason to complain?

What do you suggest, we just resort to sycophancy and just accept everything that happens, smile and say "yes sir, may I have another?" Blind sheep mentality sounds a lot like 1984.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Truth be told, I haven't watched much Disney since the early 00s.
And the Disney films I grew up with where from the 20's-90's...

Ah, the good old days.

What do you suggest, we just resort to sycophancy and just accept everything that happens, smile and say "yes sir, may I have another?"

You have some deep seated issues. Really should get those checked out.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the good old days.

You have some deep seated issues. Really should get those checked out.

Yeah, and you don't have any issues at all, gotcha. :rolleyes:You may add me to the ignore list. What do you suggest that we do? Disney did good with Star Wars, I admit, but not much else.:lol:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Whatever, :rolleyes:you may add me to the ignore list. What do you suggest that we do? Disney did good with Star Wars, I admit, but not much else.

Marvel movies under Disney were fantastic. Not sure what you're on about. You could speak with your wallet. They're a business. They're going to look into ways to make more money. You can hold a megaphone up to their ears, you'll be wasting time and energy.

I do find it interesting that every retort you give is sarcasm to avoid any real conversation. People will complain, but it's only getting worse as the years go by. The entitlement grows as well. Kind of depressing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marvel movies under Disney were fantastic. Not sure what you're on about. You could speak with your wallet. They're a business. They're going to look into ways to make more money. You can hold a megaphone up to their ears, you'll be wasting time and energy.

We all know they're buying Fox because they want to force their liberal views on a primarily conservative corporation. Okay, yes, Marvel and Star Wars, good movies, but I can't think of anything else good they've done in recent years.

D

Deleted User

oh that's scary...
to think that in the last century from monarchs owning all, to companies ruling us
like 10 companies rule the majority of electronics, gaming, internet and now freaking tv
is that just me or disney just buys a lotta things? I really dont like the idea of big companies ruling me... tho I have the feeling they already do... I dont like the idea of living under the Big Brother's eye tho sometimes I feel like I already do
and yes, scary how much Simpsons predicted, but I think thats the monkey on typewriter effect

companies just become very large...

Reactions: I pwned U!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
We all know they're buying Fox because they want to force their liberal views on a primarily conservative corporation. Okay, yes, Marvel and Star Wars, good movies, but I can't think of anything else good they've done in recent years.

I enjoy their animated films. Haven't cared for their games. They've also been doing pretty well with their TV lineup.. Aside from a few, that shall remain unnamed.. They're that bad. At least when compared to Nick or CN.

You say "force their liberal views" in what regard?

What you're saying is entirely valid. I just would like to know what you mean here?

Last edited by Kioku,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy their animated films. Haven't cared for their games. They've also been doing pretty well with their TV lineup.. Aside from a few, that shall remain unnamed.. They're that bad. At least when compared to Nick or CN.

You say "force their liberal views" in what regard?

Never mind. Forget I said anything. Disney's too damn powerful with their monopolistic BS.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhh, come on. If it pertains to the original topic, then it'll be fine. Jeeez

Disney's too powerful with their monopolistic bullshit, and being headquartered in California, a very liberal state, divisions of Fox/News Corp, notably the news portion, will be royally fucked over. So yeah, options for conservative news is down the toilet I would think. And Disney, eh, not a fan of any of their recent CG movies at all.

I can totally see any option for conservative new outlets being replaced by something that people will be forced to watch.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disney's too powerful with their monopolistic bullshit, and being headquartered in California, a very liberal state, divisions of Fox/News Corp, notably the news portion, will be royally fucked over. So yeah, options for conservative news is down the toilet I would think. And Disney, eh, not a fan of any of their recent CG movies at all.
iirc the news and sports portion of fox is still separate and owned by fox and not disney after this deal

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, I'm surprised Disney wanted to keep that part untouched, I could've seen Mickey Mouse as a newscaster
Oh god, I can see it now...
"Hiya folks! Welcome to the Mickey report, with your good pal Mickey mouse! And hot dog, do we have a story for you!" *Insert Mickey mouse laugh here*

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This is media though so how much damage could they do? ISPs on the other hand get bigger so they have less competition for selling the internet 'utility' and they can easily sue and stall any new ISPs.

Disney could become an ISP though through this deal as Fox owns a 39% share in Sky, who provide TV, telephone and broadband which Fox is trying to take full control of (in the UK at least).

That said, they don't own the network although there's still potential for 'damage'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay