• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you believe Russia hacked the US election?

What do you think is really going on? Let's get a little political here.

I assume you've all heard of the recent Vermont power grid "hacking" story. A few days ago a Vermont utility company found a russian virus on some guy's computer and (part of) the press extrapolated the fact, turning it into a so-called proof of a Russian conspiracy to hack the US power grid... That title was a fucking clickbait, and I just knew it. But not just your average buzzshit clickbait, a serious fucking one this time. When you read the article it became clear: pure bullshit. No evidence whatsoever, all that happened is that they found a regular virus on a random guy's computer, which happens a million times a day everywhere in the world. A few hours later they retracted, a lot of other sites and agencies stated that there was no such thing as a power grid hack attempt. Those media outlets jumped to conclusions to serve their own agenda, it seems.

Now regarding the "hacking" of the US election. Several US government agencies are claiming it's real. Are we being lied to? Are the FBI and homeland security and others all following orders of a higher instance or do they have actual evidence?
So far, they haven't shared much with the general public. Last week they released a document, which I read, but if you read it too you will find that it's absolutely empty of evidence. All it states is "we found some IP addresses in the logs" and "we found a bit of code that was used before". That amounts to nothing at all.

So why do they keep going on about this?
Do you think these agencies have insights they cant share with the public? could they have informants within the russian goverment? that's one of the few things I can think of that they would never be able to reveal. Or maybe it is just more political bullshit... but what's the point? Trump will take office soon and all this Russia crap isn't working. Apparently Trump has something to say on the subject that he will reveal on tuesday or wednesday. I wonder what that may be.

d7e413a2ab0f4b30b7759b3064fd6b0b.jpg

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am not a USA citizen so I won't participate to the poll, but arguing wether or not Russia did hack US elections is irrelevant: the point is US intelligence agencies now officially admit it's possible.
The real point is: will the USA citizen still allow electronic vote to please a few government contractors or will they take back their leadership ?

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Honnestly ? A country where every vote is not equal has no right to complain about anyone "hijacking" their elections.
Fix your own mess first before taking it out on someone else.
Are you talking about the Electoral College? I don't see an issue with how it works. Perhaps it's dated, but it's surely better than just directly tallying the votes together. If we didn't have the Electoral College, California and Texas would dictate how our government runs. With it, the ideas and wants of people in smaller states like Ohio, the Carolinas and Utah are actually weighted fairly and evenly against people in larger states and cities like Chicago IL, Houston TX, or Los Angeles CA who have entirely different needs, and could screw over the smaller cities if we just counted the votes "equally".

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't come to GBAtemp to discuss politics and I wish this wasn't on the front page pretending to be 'news'.

Every now and then GBAtemp has some garbage 'news' posts and this is one of them.

Can we keep the politics nonsense away from the front page? Thank you.
It is related to video games.
We can't play them during and possibly after World War 3.

If they had evidence, don't you think they would release them? You don't need to know more.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

If they had evidence, don't you think they would release them? You don't need to know more.
Please, I am quite sure the one thing that may still be working in WW3 evacuation bunkers is video games.
Don't expect new titles and kiss online bye bye, but probably old video games would be your only entertainment under those fallout infested skies.
(on the good side you could generate your power through radioactive decay)

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Please, I am quite sure the one thing that may still be working in WW3 evacuation bunkers is video games.
Don't expect new titles and kiss online bye bye, but probably old video games would be your only entertainment under those fallout infested skies.
(on the good side you could generate your power through radioactive decay)
Now I'm just imagining a crazed bunch of cooped up people in a bomb shelter all huddled around a single NES and CRT, blowing on their one leftover cartridge of Mario/Duck Hunt, desperate to make it work.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Now I'm just imagining a crazed bunch of cooped up people in a bomb shelter all huddled around a single NES and CRT, blowing on their one leftover cartridge of Mario/Duck Hunt, desperate to make it work.
2 years in they go on a scavenging hunt, not for food or water... but for a WiiU with smash

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

dont know if it's related to video games, but it's related to hacking, which is a large part of what our site is about :P
and no I think it's possible to have evidence you can't release to the public.
like I said if you had an inside informant and couldnt blow their cover, or something like that

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Has the USA altered and/or influenced foreign elections and political decisions in the past? Sure. (Think specially cold war times and Latin America, e.g.)
Has Russia altered and/or influenced foreign elections and political decisions in the past? Sure also.
Is it possible that Russia could influence or alter (why not hack) elections or political decisions in the USA? Sure, the other way around is also a possibility, just look at the past.

Actually, almost sure it happens all the time.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The election was not hacked but the Democratic party likely was. It is impossible to say who did it, it could have been any state or individual on the planet. Only the truth did influence the election result even though the press was extremely biased against Trump with 99.9% negative and one-sided articles about him. This is the much bigger problem because if you cannot believe the press anymore, all democracy is lost because it becomes impossible to make an informed decision.

Last edited by Enteking,

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not believe 1 word that this regime says! Hell, Obama has never told the truth in his life...

The Left are afraid to admit they lost!
So what do they do? they do the only thing they know how to do and that is to lie without a lick of evidence.
So instead of admitting defeat, their so called "morally superior" intelligence will do whatever it takes not to relenquish power.
So after they tried everything from recount, obsurd accusations toward Trump, and 12/19/16 when the elector made it official, the only thing
left to do is brainwash people into believing that Russia was responsible for the DNC emails, But in the meantime A Russian Ambassador was gunned down by a Cop, and a plane with a butt load or high ranking Russian officials crashed and killing them all, and when that didn't even work, they accuse them of something entirely different.
The Democrats will do whatever they can to stay in power and with that I believe, and you can mark my words, save this post or whatever, If Russia does not respond in a threatning manner Jan 15th, Obama will cast the first nuke so he doesnt look like a liar, while this was his intention all along, to remain in office under martial law. Thats why he racially, religeously, and whatever word to use for diving male and female is. DIVIDE AND CONQUER! ALL HAIL KING OBAMA...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, thats exactly what i want to read about on the frontpage of my videogame/homebrew website. good job guys. good job. this also does not qualify as news because its not reporting any news. this is, at best, a blog post.

and no, they didn't hack the election as in, manipulated vote counts, but they clearly went a step further than just hacking to gain informational advantage (which all countries do to some degree) , but released information with what should be understood as clear intent to influence a faraway countries future politics.
a type of cyber attack that would probably only work on us-voters to begin with.

heck, the cia could leak crystal clear video-evidence to every russian with an internet connection, showing that putin regularily raids russian villages to murder and rape little children and the russians wouldn't stop electing him.

as for evidence, what do you think constitutes evidence when it comes to cyber-crimes? finding code thats been used in past russian attacks and ips that point to russia is about as close as you can get. and of course, these agencies have things they can't openly tell the public. they're secret agencies and doing that would compromise their work in the future.
if they told you about informants within the highest ranks of russian government, that highest rank would probably die in a planecrash the next week to be replaced. (a little overtop, but they'd all be watched closely until being found out)

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: grossaffe

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
heck, the cia could leak crystal clear video-evidence to every russian with an internet connection, showing that putin regularily raids russian villages to murder and rape little children and the russians wouldn't stop electing him.
Your faith on the power of will and determination of the people of Russia astonishes me.
That said, yeah the times are boring and this ends up on the frontpage.
I suppose we will have to wait until January 12th for something really newsworthy.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your faith on the power of will and determination of the people of Russia astonishes me.
That said, yeah the times are boring and this ends up on the frontpage.
I suppose we will have to wait until January 12th for something really newsworthy.
its half them having an almost religious belief in the man as the one thing making russia great again and half me believing that putin would actually fake election results if he needed it.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
D

Deleted-401606

I don't come to GBAtemp to discuss politics and I wish this wasn't on the front page pretending to be 'news'.

Every now and then GBAtemp has some garbage 'news' posts and this is one of them.

Can we keep the politics nonsense away from the front page? Thank you.

Dont be an ingrate. This man owns the website,if he wants to post about his new pet goldfish on the front page then its his right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4