Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I think it's cheesy, unexciting, and bleak.
Is that an informed opinion or just random baseless blather?

Well, it's an opinion. I can't really base any facts on it, it's just the way I feel. It's like saying I like the color red. I can't say red is good for any reason, I just say it because I like red. If anyone watches anime I won't say their tasteless, I just feel it's pretty crappy for me.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
It's like saying I like the color red. I can't say red is good for any reason, I just say it because I like red.
Not really. You have seen the color red, but you've never watched an anime.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:
It's like saying I like the color red. I can't say red is good for any reason, I just say it because I like red.
Not really. You have seen the color red, but you've never watched an anime.

I've seen anime. Not a lot, but I've seen it. I'm not going to watch hundreds of episodes to judge whether or not I like it if I don't like it for the first few.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Well, it's an opinion. I can't really base any facts on it, it's just the way I feel. It's like saying I like the color red. I can't say red is good for any reason, I just say it because I like red. If anyone watches anime I won't say their tasteless, I just feel it's pretty crappy for me.

You find anime cheesy, unexciting and offering little or no hope? Ha ha ha do you even know what bleak means or are you just trying to sound smart?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EvanUnisil said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:

You find anime cheesy, unexciting and offering little or no hope? Ha ha ha do you even know what bleak means or are you just trying to sound smart?

Ha ha ha do you even know what opinion means or are you just trying to sound smart? Just because I find it terrible doesn't mean it is terrible. I find it bleak personally. You may find it exciting, but I don't. I find it bleak.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
EvanUnisil said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Ha ha ha do you even know what opinion means or are you just trying to sound smart? Just because I find it terrible doesn't mean it is terrible. I find it bleak personally. You may find it exciting, but I don't. I find it bleak.

rofl2.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
I've seen anime. Not a lot, but I've seen it.
See, that's like saying "I've seen movies. Not a lot, but I've seen them." You're disregarding the genre, the director, the script, the plot, in fact, you're disregarding everything but the vague blanket term covering the entire form, and you're judging the entire industry based on half an episode of DBZ and five minutes of Naruto. It's like judging the entire American cinematography based on watching "Jumper" and five minutes of "Twilight."

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
EvanUnisil said:
This coffee is bleak.
This coffee is hopeless?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm going to go watch a movie, not a comedy though because they're too bleak. My daughter is watching Sesame Street right now though... man it is so bleak. Oh look! A bird outside. It has such a nice beak.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like your point of view Veho ^^

All have a different taste from one studio to another. There are the one witch release 1 anime per week (naruto, bleach, one piece etc.), and there are ones making better development in it.
I like studios doing not so famous anime, or new people doing test anime to find a job (Hoshi no koe, Cencoroll, etc.), but doing their best to do innovative animation.

I like studio "Studio 4C°" for this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:
See, that's like saying "I've seen movies. Not a lot, but I've seen them." You're disregarding the genre, the director, the script, the plot, in fact, you're disregarding everything but the vague blanket term covering the entire form, and you're judging the entire industry based on half an episode of DBZ and five minutes of Naruto. It's like judging the entire American cinematography based on watching "Jumper" and five minutes of "Twilight."

If I told you to stab yourself with nails constantly to see if it hurt, would you do it? I mean, anime doesn't hurt in that way, but I just dislike watching it. I'm not going to constantly watch it just to make sure I don't like it. If there's a show on I don't like, I'm not going to watch it to reassure that I don't like it. Plain and simple, anime is NOT something everyone likes, stop trying to make it seem like my opinion is a bad one because it isn't yours.

If you don't like rap music, do you listen to every single rap song that comes out to make sure you don't like it? No. Maybe I do make "broad generalizations" about anime, but most people do about any subject. I don't like horror movies, so I don't see many. I don't like J-Pop so I don't listen to it. If I play a crappy game, I'm not going to play it all the way through to reassure that it's crappy. I'm sure there's genres in anything that you don't like, and I doubt you'll constantly revisit that genre to say that you don't like it. Yet if you said something like "Well, I probably won't play this game since it's a RPG and I don't like RPG's", I'm not going to hassle your ass about you make "broad generalizations".

And for Christ's sake, will you just respect my opinion? If I wanted to troll here I would have posted like an ass. I would have said something along the lines of "lol anime fucking sux everyone who watches it is a loser its got shitty plot shitty characters shit shit shit". I said that I think it's this, this, and that. I didn't say it is. It shows that it's my opinion. I know people who watch anime. I have friends who watch anime. I don't like it, they do. I respect their opinion, they respect mine. Maybe you could lend some common courtesy now and then and accept the fact that not everyone sees eye-to-eye with you.

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
I used to in my childhood and in my teenage years. Then I lost interest. I still like the classics, like Captain Tsubasa, Hokuto no Ken and others. I used to like Dragon Ball Z but now I can't stand it.

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Veho said:
Guild McCommunist said:

If I told you to stab yourself with nails constantly to see if it hurt, would you do it? I mean, anime doesn't hurt in that way, but I just dislike watching it. I'm not going to constantly watch it just to make sure I don't like it. If there's a show on I don't like, I'm not going to watch it to reassure that I don't like it. Plain and simple, anime is NOT something everyone likes, stop trying to make it seem like my opinion is a bad one because it isn't yours.

If you don't like rap music, do you listen to every single rap song that comes out to make sure you don't like it? No. Maybe I do make "broad generalizations" about anime, but most people do about any subject. I don't like horror movies, so I don't see many. I don't like J-Pop so I don't listen to it. If I play a crappy game, I'm not going to play it all the way through to reassure that it's crappy. I'm sure there's genres in anything that you don't like, and I doubt you'll constantly revisit that genre to say that you don't like it. Yet if you said something like "Well, I probably won't play this game since it's a RPG and I don't like RPG's", I'm not going to hassle your ass about you make "broad generalizations".

And for Christ's sake, will you just respect my opinion? If I wanted to troll here I would have posted like an ass. I would have said something along the lines of "lol anime fucking sux everyone who watches it is a loser its got shitty plot shitty characters shit shit shit". I said that I think it's this, this, and that. I didn't say it is. It shows that it's my opinion. I know people who watch anime. I have friends who watch anime. I don't like it, they do. I respect their opinion, they respect mine. Maybe you could lend some common courtesy now and then and accept the fact that not everyone sees eye-to-eye with you.

You're overreacting there a bit matey, just calm right down and remember to breathe. No one's disrespecting your opinion, I'm just poking fun at your thesaurus.

And personally I do listen to music I don't normally like because you never know what you might find if you don't keep your mind open to new and different experiences.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
If I told you to stab yourself with nails constantly to see if it hurt, would you do it? (...) If there's a show on I don't like, I'm not going to watch it to reassure that I don't like it.

If you don't like rap music, do you listen to every single rap song that comes out to make sure you don't like it? (...) I don't like horror movies, so I don't see many. (...) If I play a crappy game, I'm not going to play it all the way through to reassure that it's crappy. I'm sure there's genres that you don't like in anything, and I doubt you'll constantly revisit that genre to say that you don't like it. That's just the thing. Anime is not one single show, a single series nor a single genre, so none of the examples you provided applies. Leave the genre out of them and see how much sense they make. You're overlooking (denying, actually) the fact there are genres and variations within anime as a medium. It's like saying "I don't like 50 Cent, that means all Western music is bad." If you don't like a crappy game, will you assume all games are bad? If you dislike Age of Empires, will you automatically assume you'd dislike Gears of War as well? If you dislike horror movies, will you assume all movies are bad? I'm not saying you have to watch an entire series to confirm that you don't like it. But would that stop you from watching a different series? Would you say "I don't like any form of serialized television", or would you just say "I don't like soap opera/forensics shows/sitcoms/whatever"? And to use your example, you're judging all building material based on nails. "I've stabbed myself with a nail, I don't have to do it again to know all building material is pointy and metal."

You're denying genres within anime and clumping everything together. You're claiming something like Naruto is the same as something like Grave of the Fireflies just because they're both "anime". That's just ridiculous.
Guild McCommunist said:
I've seen anime. Not a lot, but I've seen it. I'm not going to watch hundreds of episodes to judge whether or not I like it if I don't like it for the first few.Now, that applies to a single show. If you don't like the first episode (or the first few), you can say that you've seen enought to decide you don't like the entire show. But the things you've seen in that particular show don't apply to all other shows, and definitely don't apply to the whole industry in general, and saying all shows ever are like the show you've seen is just plain wrong. It's laughably wrong. Deny it allyou want. You're saying "I've seen a TV show, I've seen several episodes of that show, I don't have to watch the entire show to know all TV shows ever are like that and that I'd dislike them."
Guild McCommunist said:
Yet if you said something like "Well, I probably won't play this game since it's a RPG and I don't like RPG's", I'm not going to hassle your ass about you make "broad generalizations".Now try removing the genre from that example. If I said I disliked all games because I once played an RPG and it sucked, would that be reasonable? Oh, I'm sure you'd "respect my opinion", but would you consider it a thought out, educated opinion or just random bias? If I said "I've never played Super Mario Bros but I know I don't like it because I once played Final Fantasy and I didn't like it", would you respect that opinion and the justification for it?
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Dec 6 2009, 10:56 PM) Plain and simple, anime is NOT something everyone likes, stop trying to make it seem like my opinion is a bad one because it isn't yours.
(...)
I said that I think it's this, this, and that. I didn't say it is. It shows that it's my opinion. I know people who watch anime. I have friends who watch anime. I don't like it, they do. I respect their opinion, they respect mine. Maybe you could lend some common courtesy now and then and accept the fact that not everyone sees eye-to-eye with you.
I'm not arguing taste here, and you and I can like or dislike whatever we feel like liking or disliking. Nobody cares. But you feel you have to justify your dislike (you don't) by dropping reasons here and there, and every "reason" you gave so far is completely and utterly false. It simply isn't true. I would respect your opinion no end if you said you disliked anime because it is animated. While I might not share your view on animated things, the fact anime is, well, animated, is undeniable fact, and is a valid reason and makes more sense that what you're giving as your justifications.
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Oct 12 2009, 01:22 PM)
And why does every anime have to have the guy who shoots energy out of his hands? Why can't there be anime with normal people with normal abilities who are just cool?
None of which is even remotely true. It's like asking "Why do all movies have masked guys with chainsaws running around killing people?" "Why do all TV shows have to have witches and angels and demons and everyone's flinging magic and stopping time?" "Why can't they make a show about and elderly detective and his young partner solving crimes?"

You can't have an opinion on something you've never seen and have no way of knowing what it's like. Saying all anime is the same is as wrong as saying all music is the same, so you can't extrapolate based on the few shows you've seen, from a single genre. You have an opinion on Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, and I respect that opinion (hell, I don't like DBZ either), I would respect it even if you were to extend it to the entire (very specific) genre, but what you have for anime in general is baseless uninformed bias, stemming from assumptions that are horribly untrue, and all I can do about that is point at you and laugh.

Do you understand that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter