Hacking Dosbox games for vita/psp

kaymynd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello just wanted to ask if anyone had any experience or knowledge on dosbox for the vita or psp?

I'm using dosnavigator and .bat files for controls in psp dosbox 0.71 to make things easier

In retroarch you can already configure and run the game so dosnavigator is unnecessary.

So far I've been able to get monkey island working on the psp dosbox 0.71 running perfectly but gets a black screen on retroarch dosbox 0.74,

And I've been able to get harvester working on retroarch dosbox 0.74 (with gameplay a bit sluggish but playable)but crashes on the psp dosbox 0.71

I was also wondering if there was any easier way to exit a game and go back into dosnavigator in the psp dosbox?

So far the only two ways to exit that I've found is to map the menu key to triangle and map letters y and n to up and down on dpad, then hit triangle to open menu, click on quit and press up on dpad for yes, this takes me back to dosnavigator.
Or by simply closing the app and reopening it to start up dosnavigator again.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated, thank you.

I'll be trying more games in the next few days so if anybody knows of any good dos games i should play, post them here, maybe i can get them working.

Also i know about scummvm but hardly any dos games are supported so i still want to use dosbox.

Last edited by kaymynd,
Reactions: nowhereman87

gamba66

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im in the same boat.

ATM there is retroarch and the old dosbox psp app.

retroarch works fine with some older games but unfortunately you cant save.

Basically you just have to run retroarch, select the .exe file and then press L + R + Start + Select and configure the controls and other dosbox options. then Save them as remap file and quit retroarch so its all saved.

The downside to retroarch is that you can't savestate :(

I am currently trying to figure out how to setup individual games on the PSP Doxbox Emulator

W00fer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anguilla
There is a new Dosbox for PSP build with a modern toolchain that has some speedups. Unfortunately there is no hardware acceleration, no retroarch core and no Dosbox Pure yet (which is handy because it allows to run files from zip).

See reddit:

r/dosbox/comments/ki8qvz/new_version_of_dosbox_for_psp/

kaymynd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a tutorial for installing and running games in dosbox psp after installing using dosbox psp, it can then be run on retroarch with better performance. I've done a few games but the hard part is getting controls set ul correctly as the jeys differ for every game. This new dosbox version looks epic though! Lots of potential on the vita, I'll install and test later tonight and post my results

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I’d try to run fallout1 last week on retroarch very sadly it’s launchable but unplayable.
Hope someday I can play fallout games on vita *sigh*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +2