Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering if you can use this to apply a language patch for a Pokemon black or white two on the fly from a Japanese game card or will i have to dump the game and patch the rom file

Basically pokemon transporter does not check the game card region and the Japanese games are cheeper but you can't change the language on the card and i don't want to play in Japanese
There's no on the fly patches to that level for game cards for DS games, theoretically it would be possible with a dumped ROM but since official English translations exist there aren't fan translation patches for English as there just wouldn't really be a point.

It is possible to use Poké Transporter with a ROM, you don't need to put the save onto a cart just to use Poké Transporter or so. iirc to do the patch you need to load the save you want to use in PKSM (to use a save file set it as an extra save in settings) then go to scripts -> universal scripts -> poke-transporter-redirect.c.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering if you can use this to apply a language patch for a Pokemon black or white two on the fly from a Japanese game card or will i have to dump the game and patch the rom file

Basically pokemon transporter does not check the game card region and the Japanese games are cheeper but you can't change the language on the card and i don't want to play in Japanese
You'll have to dump the ROM from the game card, and patch it.

EDIT: Read the post above.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have another question, can TwilightMenu use static .gifs as splash-screens? I converted the .bmps I use for Hiya to .gifs and set TWM to "Custom" splashes after putting the .gifs in the proper folder but then the splash wasn't shown at all.

I want to skip hiya and boot directly into Twighlight but keep my splash-screens.

Oh and do the textures it uses for the themes support full background images on the top-screen?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I have another question, can TwilightMenu use static .gifs as splash-screens? I converted the .bmps I use for Hiya to .gifs and set TWM to "Custom" splashes after putting the .gifs in the proper folder but then the splash wasn't shown at all.

I want to skip hiya and boot directly into Twighlight but keep my splash-screens.
Static GIFs should work fine, just make sure that they're either both set to infinite loop or at least one of them has a long enough delay.

Oh and do the textures it uses for the themes support full background images on the top-screen?
Yeah, that should be the background_grit/top.bmp file.

Reactions: SkyDX

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Static GIFs should work fine, just make sure that they're either both set to infinite loop or at least one of them has a long enough delay.

Yeah, that should be the background_grit/top.bmp file.

Alright I'll check the .gifs later though about the background, will it accept a .bmp file? The original files are .grt if I remember correctly. And if Bitmaps do work, what are the format limitations, I assume 16bit like with hiya?

Thanks for the help :)

Rebusmind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry if this has been answered a million times (this thread is huge!), but I have a DS Lite and an Acekard 2.1 (not 2i) and I've been thinking of getting a DSi XL. Can I use TWiLight together with my flashcard or do I have to boot games directly from the SD card slot?
Also, how's the compatibility these days? Are there games that just won't work?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Alright I'll check the .gifs later though about the background, will it accept a .bmp file? The original files are .grt if I remember correctly. And if Bitmaps do work, what are the format limitations, I assume 16bit like with hiya?

Thanks for the help :)
The final converted files TWiLight can use are .grf, however before conversion they're .bmp. For how to do the conversion, see the wiki page. I think anything up to 16-bit should work fine, higher might work but grit's color conversion isn't always great so I'd export as 16-bit.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times (this thread is huge!), but I have a DS Lite and an Acekard 2.1 (not 2i) and I've been thinking of getting a DSi XL. Can I use TWiLight together with my flashcard or do I have to boot games directly from the SD card slot?
Also, how's the compatibility these days? Are there games that just won't work?
Yeah, you can use TWiLight together with the flashcard. If you want you can install TWiLight on the flashcard or you can just keep the normal kernel and use it like on the DS Lite, you'll just need Unlaunch installed if the DSi is on 1.4.5 since the Acekard 2.1 was blocked. Once Unlaunch is installed you should be able to load it from the DSi Menu, Unlaunch itself, or TWiLight Menu++.

Compatibility from the SD card is near perfect these days, as of the latest nightlies there's only 1 game that straight up doesn't boot (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Tropix! and Pokémon Dash were just fixed). There are a few more games that have issues, but the vast majority work perfectly these days. See the compatibility list for details.

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The final converted files TWiLight can use are .grf, however before conversion they're .bmp. For how to do the conversion, see the wiki page. I think anything up to 16-bit should work fine, higher might work but grit's color conversion isn't always great so I'd export as 16-bit.

Yeah I got this far but I didn't get if the conversion is absolutely necessary or not, is it? 🤔

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I got this far but I didn't get if the conversion is absolutely necessary or not, is it? 🤔
It's necessary, some of the files (specifically in the battery, ui, volume folders) don't need conversion, but the background_grit and grit folders need to be converted... I should take a look how hard it would be to make the background images not need conversion, the grit ones are trickier I think but the background ones should honestly probably be pretty easy to load from BMP/PNG.

Reactions: SkyDX

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's necessary, some of the files (specifically in the battery, ui, volume folders) don't need conversion, but the background_grit and grit folders need to be converted... I should take a look how hard it would be to make the background images not need conversion, the grit ones are trickier I think but the background ones should honestly probably be pretty easy to load from BMP/PNG.

Ah alright I see, if you can get it working that would be super nice to spice Twlight up quite a bit :)

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I finally got DSX86 running on N3DS. For those who do not know, there is a problem only with NEW models : the touch keyboard does not work.

I had problems with DSi as well, the sound was corrupt using DSi mode when lauching a game that was not sound blaster compatible.

Here are the right settings to have 133Mhz and working touch pad on all models :

Direct boot : NO
Launch : DS mode (not DSi !)
CPU speed : 133mhz
Vram : DSi

DSX86.jpg

However on N3DS, disk access will be very slowwwwwwwwwwwww under the DOS (not ingame). You will need to create a game list and call it from the root of your SD card because navigating into folders is way too slow. Even with a game list it will take 4-5 minutes to launch a game (where it should take 20 seconds).

DS(2)X86 is one of the best homebrew for the DS IMHO, so many good games are running full speed.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Ah alright I see, if you can get it working that would be super nice to spice Twlight up quite a bit :)
https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/pull/1815
And... done lol. With that new PR (can download from the Checks tab or once it's merged it'll be in the 'nightly' build) you can now use PNG/BMP files for skins. It's still a little picky so see the PR description for what exactly it wants and an example. I'll probably update the wiki page a bit after it's merged.

Edit: PR has been merged so it's in the latest nightly build now, I've also updated the wiki page with more details on the new method.

Last edited by Pk11,

SkyDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/pull/1815
And... done lol. With that new PR (can download from the Checks tab or once it's merged it'll be in the 'nightly' build) you can now use PNG/BMP files for skins. It's still a little picky so see the PR description for what exactly it wants and an example. I'll probably update the wiki page a bit after it's merged.

Edit: PR has been merged so it's in the latest nightly build now, I've also updated the wiki page with more details on the new method.

Oh wow thanks that was quick and works great from my quick testing! I have to tinker with this later on :)

Reactions: Pk11
Updates

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v24.1.0

Includes nds-bootstrap v0.54.1

What's new?
  • (@R-YaTian) Added some AP-fixes:
    • Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu (v3.01 English translation With Update Beta2) (Revision to fix DSi binary file)
    • Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 5: Fortune Tower to Unmei no Dice (Chinese translation)
    • Kyokugen Dasshutsu: 9-jikan, 9-nin, 9 no Tobira (Chinese translation)
    • RPG Tkool DS (Chinese translation) (Revision to fix DSi binary file)
  • To prevent potential issues, the leftover AP-fix file of opposite format is now deleted when launching a DS(i) game containing AP.
  • (@DieGo367) Added loading custom icons from PNG files (works on non-DS ROMs). (#1800)
    • (@Pk11) `banner.bin` can be used as well.
  • (@Pk11) PNG/BMP can now be used instead of GRF for skins. It is now possible to make skins without using grit!
  • (@Pk11) Removed Chinese/Korean bundled fonts.
    • Falls back to default, if no extra font found.
  • `Card Read DMA` setting is now shown for DSi-Exclusive games as well.
  • Removed various games from the card read DMA blacklist.
Improvement
  • (@Pk11 and various) Updated translations.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed the AP-fixes for Dragon Quest V (JAP) & Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (KOR), by using fixes based on the cheat versions.
  • Fixed settings menu and manual crashing when exiting (which the SD write code wasn't causing it most of the time, but can still cause it sometimes).
  • Fixed `Expand ROM space in RAM` being shown for DSi-Exclusives.
  • DSi/Saturn/HBL theme: Fix SD switch missing from SELECT menu, when running from flashcard with unlocked SCFG.
  • Fixed DSi power LED briefly blinking purple if set to `Blue/Red` in TWLMenu++ Settings.
  • `DSiWare Booter` setting is no longer shown on 3DS consoles, as only nds-bootstrap is used to boot DSiWare.
  • On 3DS, `SysNAND Region` setting is now only shown, if running via DSiWarehax.
  • Corrected ESRB rating for Bangai-O Spirits.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
v24.1.0

What's new?
    • Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu (v3.01 English translation With Update Beta2) (Revision to fix DSi binary file)
    • Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 5: Fortune Tower to Unmei no Dice (Chinese translation)
  • To prevent potential issues, the leftover AP-fix file of opposite format is now deleted when launching a DS(i) game containing AP.
  • (@DieGo367) Added loading custom icons from PNG files (works on non-DS ROMs). (#1800)
    • Switched Chinese font to WenQuanYi.
    • Falls back to default, if not found.
Improvement
Bug fixes
  • Fixed the AP-fixes for Dragon Quest V (JAP) & Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (KOR), by using fixes based on the cheat versions.
  • Fixed settings menu and manual crashing when exiting (which the SD write code wasn't causing it most of the time, but can still cause it sometimes).
  • DSi/Saturn/HBL theme: Fix SD switch missing from SELECT menu, when running from flashcard with unlocked SCFG.
  • Fixed DSi power LED briefly blinking purple if set to `Blue/Red` in TWLMenu++ Settings.
  • `DSiWare Booter` setting is no longer shown on 3DS consoles, as only nds-bootstrap is used to boot DSiWare.
  • On 3DS, `SysNAND Region` setting is now only shown, if running via DSiWarehax.
Jesus every time I just update a new update comes out :rofl:

Great work as always @RocketRobz

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
v24.1.0

What's new?
  • (@Pk11) PNG/BMP can now be used instead of GRF for skins. It is now possible to make skins without using grit!
    • Falls back to default, if no extra font found.
Improvement
Bug fixes
First time modding a DS, Got it working on my DSi with 24.1.0 and Unlaunch 2.0, working no problem!! THANKS!!

I see no need to get HiyaCFW, seems redundant if u have twilight + unlaunch

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to utilize the Flashcart resources installed in the DS to play non-playable games that currently dont work in Twilight? Like golden sun dark dawn? I got a couple of flashcarts (in my sig), any of them work or is this feature even possible?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to utilize the Flashcart resources installed in the DS to play non-playable games that currently dont work in Twilight? Like golden sun dark dawn? I got a couple of flashcarts (in my sig), any of them work or is this feature even possible?
With TWiLight Menu++ installed on flashcards, you can use the flashcard kernel to play DS ROMs from the flashcard, instead of nds-bootstrap.
To use the flashcard kernel to play ROMs from the console SD would first require copying the ROM to the flashcard, in order for the flashcard kernel to read it, and the copying process would take time, depending on the ROM size.

Reactions: Tarmfot

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With TWiLight Menu++ installed on flashcards, you can use the flashcard kernel to play DS ROMs from the flashcard, instead of nds-bootstrap.
To use the flashcard kernel to play ROMs from the console SD would first require copying the ROM to the flashcard, in order for the flashcard kernel to read it, and the copying process would take time, depending on the ROM size.
Ok, I have a copy of the ROM on the SD Card inside my super-card ds2. what's next?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PYUKEiLGHpQ?si=UosLAHElVkjIKfxN