Homebrew Question emulator ps1\ps2\ps3 is possible on switch?

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Up to ps2 yes
ps3 wouldn't be possible
but a wine like translator would be possible, the switch is more powerfull than a ps3
but emulating isn't possible, translating could be but i doubt it

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look up videos of emulators running on the Nvidia Shield TV (original, not the 2017 model) it has the same cpu/gpu as the switch so things should run roughly the same.

Reactions: NoNAND

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
CAN you back that up? I'm just curious not trying to sound like a dick just interested that's all
The Wii U in third-party games released for Xbox 360 and PS3 destroys both of them, so the Wii U is more powerful than both of them.
The Switch is capable of Mario Kart 8 in 1080p, and the Wii U only 720p, BOTW on Switch 900p, on Wii U 720p and worse framerate, Pokken also is better on Switch.

So, if the Wii U can do more than PS3 and 360, and the Switch can do more a lot more than the Wii U, then the Switch is more powerful than both the PS3 and 360.

Reactions: APartOfMe

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
At the most, I can picture PS1 emulation. I can’t see any further generation of playstation.
PSP is well within the Switch's hardware specs to be emulated just fine.
PS2 is also possible, though at what degree that's still yet to be seen, depends on the emulator itself and how optimized it is.

What cores does RetroArch have for PS2 games?

Reactions: nmkd

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS2 is also possible, though at what degree that's still yet to be seen, depends on the emulator itself and how optimized it is.

None I think

m-e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was thinking of just consoles, but you sir, are correct. If my phone can do psp, the switch can too, I bet.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
None I think
Yeah, I took a little research and found out they don't have any for PS2.
I assumed they did.

It seems they had plans to port over the Play! emulator from Android, but they haven't gotten around to doing so.
Also, they said they haven't talked to the PCSX2 guys, but they took a peek at the source code for it and apparently it's not easily portable.
I read that PCSX2 would be going to a code change to make it portable, but I don't know how far this got.
I was thinking of just consoles, but you sir, are correct. If my phone can do psp, the switch can too, I bet.
Yep :)
PSP and PSX could be perfectly playable on the Switch with little to no issues at all.
PS2 will be the greatest problem.

Unless PCSX2 is implemented into a core in RetroArch, or someone takes it upon themselves to port it over to the Switch, it won't happen at all.
It would be another PSX/N64 as in the Wii U scene for Retroarch :lol:

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish someone with a devkit Switch would make a real benchmark to actually get the true performance of the thing...

I wonder if the SOC inside the Switch is a very cut down tegra X1 which is supossed to make ~500 Gflops in full float precision 32 bits and ~1Tflop in half float precision...

I still dont understand why Switch over the internet is supposed to be weaker using what they claim as being the same SOC.

And if the difference is just the clocks, I also wonder why it cant achieve Nvidia TV X1 clocks since the cooling looks similiar to me, however I never seen a Nvidia device in person to compare the size of the parts.

PS: I just wish I could actually know the true performance from a dev that could test that and make a video.

Last edited by guily6669,

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If we got full access to the switch hardware capabilities then PS3 could be possible at potato framerates but its unlikely we will see this in the near future. I mean the 3DS only recently got full system access. You would probably need TV mode as well.

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
PS3 could work

Remember the starts of PSP emulation the first working emulator was jpcsp it was slow laggy and buggy even on the best pcs
Way later ppsspp born and now we're able to play PSP on crappy smart phones and pcs

So a ps3 emulator for switch is possible in the future

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS3 could work

Remember the starts of PSP emulation the first working emulator was jpcsp it was slow laggy and buggy even on the best pcs
Way later ppsspp born and now we're able to play PSP on crappy smart phones and pcs

So a ps3 emulator for switch is possible in the future
That's not how it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...