Evolve goes free-to-play, PC beta out now

2K/Turtle Rock's Evolve is going through a massive overhaul in attempts to revitalize it, as the game has now become free-to-play on Steam under the title Evolve: Stage 2. The developers are planning on changing not only the price of the game, but also major gameplay mechanics.

Evolve as you know it has been completely overhauled and is being re-launched on PC today as Evolve Stage 2, with new game design, gameplay mechanics, and improved gameplay balance and system performance. Not only that, but starting today you can play Evolve Stage 2 completely FREE on PC via Steam.

If you previously owned the game or bought the DLC packs, those will carry on into the new version, and you will be given a "FOUNDER STATUS".

Lastly, it was paramount to us with Evolve Stage 2 that if you own or buy a copy of original Evolve on PC, your game will automatically upgrade toEvolve Stage 2 and you will receive “FOUNDER STATUS” in-game. Full details on what Founder Status means can be found HERE

:arrow: More changes and details

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So it's P2W?
so what do you pay for? weapons? Bosses? skins?
Nope. They're not selling anything for actual money, the in-game store uses "silver keys" which are only given for playing, you can't buy them.

The only thing in the store is just more hunters, monsters, skins, and "perks", but most of them aren't pay-to-win and the only one's that would be remotely considered would probably be any of the OP monsters/hunters you can unlock.

There's a FAQ with more info about the changes here: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/evolve-stage-2-community-faq/87861

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Overwatch is online-only so perhaps it should be F2P too and while at it, Sony could bring back MAG back on PS4 as an FP2 title.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

have fun for a total of two hours before boredom kicks in without the need for replay
It's free so no money's been lost anyway and if the user doesn't like the game then he/she can just move on to a different one. Another example, I'm thankful Comcept released a demo of Mighty No. 9 on Xbox otherwise I'd probably never try it out because I never intended on buying due to how much they downgraded since its original vision.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's free so no money's been lost anyway and if the user doesn't like the game then he/she can just move on to a different one. Another example, I'm thankful Comcept released a demo of Mighty No. 9 on Xbox otherwise I'd probably never try it out because I never intended on buying due to how much they downgraded since its original vision.

i bought it on launch and it felt like a free to play, no $60 game no $50 psn+is a good thing but its a little to late to go free now imo

S

Saiyan Lusitano

i bought it on launch and it felt like a free to play, no $60 game no $50 psn+is a good thing but its a little to late to go free now imo
They probably spent more than they should and this is how they'll try to get that money back.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

the gaming industry basically follows nintendo
Nintendo?

Nintendo copied Activision's idea of Skylanders and now most games have been butchered in some way to have amiibo "support". The industry has left Nintendo behind and moved on, albeit Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Neo are Microsoft/Sony's way of somehow rivalling NX even though Nintendo's been irrelevant to most gamers (= potential customers) due to how inept they are with 3rd party support, online voice-chat, a decent and modern online system, no region lock and etc.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Should've seen this coming, really. It launched to a great deal of hype, although it didn't "Evolve" anything in terms of how we play, and was dropped by many players not too long after launch. And the plethora of DLC content surely didn't save it. Perhaps if they had held off on all the skins and DLCs and focused on giving the players the content they expect in a $60, more people would've stuck around. The concept of the game isn't bad. It's just that the way it was presented didn't work, there were imbalances in the game, and worst of all, it was extremely pricey. By the time they lowered the price, most people had already vacated the servers. It's the exact same fate that befell (get it?) Titanfall.

That being said, perhaps they could turn things around. Look at The Elder Scrolls Online. When they went Buy-to-Play, they re-branded themselves and made it feel like an entirely new game had launched (helped by the fact it was coming to consoles for the first time). They made a complete turnaround from the original state of the game back in 2014 to be named Best MMO of 2015 by MMORPG.com and accrue a healthy, growing player base. I don't know if Evolve has the same chops to be able to do such a turnaround (admittedly, I haven't played much Evolve myself aside from that one weekend it was free to try on Steam), but they very well could if they play their cards right. I think their main concern should be content. At launch, there wasn't enough content to justify the price tag.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's P2W?
so what do you pay for? weapons? Bosses? skins?
P2W=play to win. A derogatory term to describe a system where spending money is nearly required to play/beat/start a game. Usually aimed at F2P games, but not always.

F2P=free to play. Usually has micro-transactions, but is ostensibly free to download and play.

Micro-transactions=pay real money in-game for more in-game junk, like coins or weapons. Can include dlc if it's "on-disc dlc", where you have to pay to " unlock" a thing already on the disc (which is then considered shitty, not real, dlc).

DLC=paid or free downloadable content. Additions to the base game that are purchased through an in-game store, or outside the game. Ranges from bad dlc (buy a shitty costume or skin!) to what we consider good dlc: "expansion packs", or the addition and extension of a game's mechanics or environment...or something like that.

I'm sure you knew all of that, and didn't ask for definitions at all, I just felt like being in a defining mood. Some of the terms may slightly overlap, but that may just be my shitty definitions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it's dumb