Hacking fail0verflow releases coldboot exploit proof of concept

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you propose we do? Stay on 3.x.x and not be able to play the newest games? You certainly sound pretty damn butthurt that people have come up with a solution that would work on all firmware.
Yeah, I'm so butthurt. I'm just screaming (cap'ing) every word I say and cursing up a storm.
I say update your damn Switches and don't worry about Homebrew until it's actually worth missing out on new games/demos/features/updates, not just for SNES emulators, HelloWorld examples, and Pong. If you can show me a piece of Homebrew that comes out in the next few months that beats Mario Odyssey, Zelda Expansion, etc, then MAYBE. Even if you get an actual Homebrew library and even piracy, you're still stuck with <=3.0.0 games and no eShop access, which will get boring eventually. As of now, there's no Homebrew that's worth holding back for, especially for a device that costed $300.

So what do you propose we do? Stay on 3.x.x and not be able to play the newest games? You certainly sound pretty damn butthurt that people have come up with a solution that would work on all firmware. If you feel that way, fine, it's not my problem, I don't see any exploits being found on 4.x.x for a year at least, 3.x.x only be damned.

I don't see them actively searching for 4.x.x exploits, so, they may as well be.
You're worried about eBay scalpers, but not about a company that'll charge $50-$100+ for a modchip?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm so butthurt. I'm just screaming (cap'ing) every word I say and cursing up a storm.
I say update your damn Switches and don't worry about Homebrew until it's actually worth missing out on new games/demos/features/updates, not just for SNES emulators, HelloWorld examples, and Pong. If you can show me a piece of Homebrew that comes out in the next few months that beats Mario Odyssey, Zelda Expansion, etc, then MAYBE. Even if you get an actual Homebrew library and even piracy, you're still stuck with <=3.0.0 games and no eShop access, which will get boring eventually. As of now, there's no Homebrew that's worth holding back for, especially for a device that costed $300.

You're worried about eBay scalpers, but not about a company that'll charge $50-$100+ for a modchip?

No, because at least I know what I'm getting, eBay is a gamble, some stupid scalper could sell me a Switch that says 3.0.0 but actually is 4.0.2. Who the hell cares if mod chip teams are selling products, it's their business, their deal, who are you to tell them what they can or can't do? Lol.

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, because at least I know what I'm getting, eBay is a gamble, some stupid scalper could sell me a Switch that says 3.0.0 but actually is 4.0.2. Who the hell cares if mod chip teams are selling products, it's their business, their deal, who are you to tell them what they can or can't do? Lol.
When did I tell them not to sell modchips? I simply stated that I hope the developers that keep the Switch scene free and open source like the Wii U scene, so it doesn't turn into the 3DS scene. Lol! Changing what someone said to better suit your argument, eh? Oof, that backfired pretty bad.
If you actually knew a thing or two, you'd realize that eBay has a little something called buyer protection, and you'd get a refund if the item was not as described. Dealing with shady modchip/flashcart manufacturers and resellers seems much more risky to me, does it not?

Oh shut up. Tx has made the most progress in the switch scene so far.
"oh shut up" 10/10 argument.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did I tell them not to sell modchips? I simply stated that I hope the developers that keep the Switch scene free and open source like the Wii U scene, so it doesn't turn into the 3DS scene. Lol! Changing what someone said to better suit your argument, eh? Oof, that backfired pretty bad.
If you actually knew a thing or two, you'd realize that eBay has a little something called buyer protection, and you'd get a refund if the item was not as described. Dealing with shady modchip/flashcart manufacturers and resellers seems much more risky to me, does it not?

You ignored the length of text that followed the "oh shut up"

You've proven yourself to be one of the most clueless users on this site. I bet you have no clue about what's going on in the switch scene as we speak. Only a clueless person would say such thing about team xecuter

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Everyone has their own preferences. Even when the softmods came out for the Xbox OG and Wii, some still preferred hard mods. If TX has the same quality now as they did back then? The only gamble you're taking would be your own mechanical/technical skills.

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You ignored the length of text that followed the "oh shut up"

You've proven yourself to be one of the most clueless users on this site. I bet you have no clue about what's going on in the switch scene as we speak. Only a clueless person would say such thing about team xecuter
I HAVE been following the Switch scene, actually. Not to mention that I've noticed that most of your post are just full of conceded bullshit, and miserable failed attempts to undermine other users' opinions and ideas. I will not get into a flame war with you here. If you want to lose your shit, go ahead. You'll be the one who receives a warning/suspension/ban. :P

And, yes, any reply that begins with "oh shut up" is obviously written by someone who sees the other person has a point, but does not want them to continue speaking (replying), as they're killing their argument.

TX has made more progress, but only on relative terms. The open-source devs try to keep their work softmod only (or at least something that does not require hardware modifications to the system such as ntrboot), which is the reason why they haven't gotten hax on all FW's, etc. Not to mean Team-Xecuter has many more people than the local devs.

Give 'em a team the size of TX's, and allow them to create hardware mods as well, and I guarantee you 101% that they'll blow TX out of the water. When the Switch scene progresses, TX will do exactly what Gateway did and begin stealing open source work and incorporate it into their own garbage software, right before they die out (at least their Switch portion).
Just. like. Gateway.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I HAVE been following the Switch scene, actually. Not to mention that I've noticed that most of your post are just full of conceded bullshit, and miserable failed attempts to undermine other users' opinions and ideas. I will not get into a flame war with you here. If you want to lose your shit, go ahead. You'll be the one who receives a warning/suspension/ban. :P

And, yes, any reply that begins with "oh shut up" is obviously written by someone who sees the other person has a point, but does not want them to continue speaking (replying), as they're killing their argument.

TX has made more progress, but only on relative terms. The open-source devs try to keep their work softmod only (or at least something that does not require hardware modifications to the system such as ntrboot), which is the reason why they haven't gotten hax on all FW's, etc. Not to mean Team-Xecuter has many more people than the local devs.

Give 'em a team the size of TX's, and allow them to create hardware mods as well, and I guarantee you 101% that they'll blow TX out of the water. When the Switch scene progresses, TX will do exactly what Gateway did and begin stealing open source work and incorporate it into their own garbage software, right before they die out (at least their Switch portion).
Just. like. Gateway.
You missed the part where they've been around far longer than Gateway. Even their Switch portion will last a while. Sure, a time will might come where soft mods will make more sense, but until then? We have no reason to look into buying another Switch just for the sake of homebrew.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What's stopping anyone from doing that now, other than piracy morals and an ungrateful userbase?
They're not getting paid for their work. It's kind of why CEMU skyrocketed in terms of progress compared to say... Dolphin..

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's stopping anyone from doing that now, other than piracy morals and an ungrateful userbase?
Exactly. Judging by your post count and date of joining, I'm sure you remember back in 2014 when Ninjhax was initially released, with PastaCFW and rxTools allowing piracy following soon after, where Smealum and other devs were receiving threats, verbally abusive tweets and DM's, etc just because they couldn't get free Homebrew and free commercial games on 9.3+. Not to mention however many times they were called lazy, unskilled, and drama queens. No wonder why many devs have left the scenes.

TX doesn't have that issue. They're getting paid by other (shady) companies AND they're making money selling their modchips. They don't have to rely off of donations like smea, etc.

Last edited by dpad_5678,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
"ungrateful userbase"

Although that could be seen as self-imposed limitation I guess

If a dev or team tries to blame a community for not publicly releasing something, they're not someone that should be respected or revered. We had that shit happen with the 3DS scene and it was stupid and childish.

I will say this.. There are times where I feel the community deserved nothing.. But that doesn't always make the devs a better person.. Especially when they cause more of the drama.

Last edited by Kioku,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TX doesn't have that issue. They're getting paid by other (shady) companies AND they're making money selling their modchips. They don't have to rely off of donations like smea, etc.
They make money selling hardmods that exploit hardware flaws to users willing to buy them

I fail to see a problem. This is hardly another Gateway situation

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They make money selling hardmods that exploit hardware flaws to users willing to buy them

I fail to see a problem. This is hardly another Gateway situation
Correct. Gateway made money off of someone else's findings and then dropped off the face of the earth... TX seemingly found something here on their own. Unless I missed something...

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. Gateway made money off of someone else's findings and then dropped off the face of the earth... TX seemingly found something here on their own. Unless I missed something...
Uh no. Gateway had their own exploits initially. However, as A9LH and SigHax was made public, they started incorporating open source community code and software into the Shitway updates that never worked properly anyways. They dominated at the beginning, however once the A9LH days started to peak, they slowly fell and met their demise with ntrboot and B9S.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
so your saying if i updated a JTag'd 360 through normal means I'd either losE the exploit or WORSE brick my 360?

If you update through normal means, you indeed lose the exploit.
The 360 then blows fuses and you'll never be able to do it again.
As far as the bricking goes..
It's a possibility, I think it doesn't brick per say but it is certainly not advisable.

Hence everytime you update a JTAG/RGH machine, you'd have to build a newly hacked NAND first (by utilizing your NAND dump obviously) and flash that to the console.
After that, you can apply the systemupdate (renamed to $$ystemupdate if you got Dashlaunch installed which blocks a lot of things to keep you safe) and you're good to go.

JTAG/RGH is still in place and your console is on the latest version.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I would prefer a softmod as well but i have no problems paying somebody for a hard mod that costs money to produce. Out of all the mod companies out there, i trust TX the most and they are more than worthy of the money they are going to ask (as long as it is a normal price). If anyone thinks printing pcbs of the TX quality is cheap think again. My og Xbox is still working great with the Xecuter2. Other mods are less than stellar.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would prefer a softmod as well but i have no problems paying somebody for a hard mod that costs money to produce. Out of all the mod companies out there, i trust TX the most and they are more than worthy of the money they are going to ask (as long as it is a normal price). If anyone thinks printing pcbs of the TX quality is cheap think again. My og Xbox is still working great with the Xecuter2. Other mods are less than stellar.

The Nintendo scene is spoiled with cheap flashcards and free softmods.
One age old team comes to the scene and announces something, the whole scene explodes in a shit frenzy assuming the worst on everything.

Developing high quality modchips isn't cheap indeed.
Research has to be put into it, time and effort to develop it, trouble shoot it.
You're spot on lad.

I seen dozens of fake modchips and flashcards kick the bucket but TX hardware always remains working in perfect order.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wanna split a Toblerone?